wHAT IS THERE ABOUT LINCOLN THAT WE DON'T KNOW?
09-05-2015, 10:29 PM
wHAT IS THERE ABOUT LINCOLN THAT WE DON'T KNOW?
This web site has investigated almost everything, about everything, that there is to know about the Lincoln Assassination. We know what color socks that everybody wore on April 14, 1865. But, there were plots and charges, against Lincoln, that we have looked at only briefly. For example. What are the details of the charge that Stanton was involved in a plot? (I don't know.) Whenever something like this comes up, I say b/s, and move on - who cares? Finally, I do care.
What was accomplished by the Boutwell Hearings? Was Sanford Conover ever punished? (It was 100 years before he was Identified as Charles A. Dunham) (It was 150 years before Sarah Slater was found.) I would like to see DETAILS. (I'll bet that some details are still classified.)
I would like to challenge this forum to WORK. Get the details - publish them - prove answers. Show that what was done was legal or not. Did you know that Johnson beat the impeachment- by one vote.
(Who cast that vote?) ( or Ben Wade would have been President.)
How much can we accomplish, if we work together?
Nothing is Unimportant. I'll bet we know more, collectively, than we think we do.
We have a pack of real "Brains" here. Let's use them - together.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 08:08 AM
RE: wHAT IS THERE ABOUT LINCOLN THAT WE DON'T KNOW?
Individuals take the challenge- and new books, articles, and essays are published. There probably is no end to discovering things about Lincoln. As time passes and history continues to unfold- new ways of understanding Lincoln and his impact on the world become revealed anew. In addition, new things about Lincoln are still being found as reseachers dig deep into archieves and find documents not seen since his day. Even though more than 15,000 works have been published about Lincoln since his day- authors continue to present Lincoln in new and relevant ways- and readers are the blessed benefactors.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2015, 08:34 AM
(09-05-2015 10:29 PM)SSlater Wrote:  For example. What are the details of the charge that Stanton was involved in a plot? (I don't know.) Whenever something like this comes up, I say b/s, and move on - who cares?

John, indeed there is some incredible stuff out there. For example, in Mask for Treason, Vaughn Shelton speculates that there were parallel conspiracies, and William Seward was attacked by the conspiracy he was not part of. Shelton seems to feel Seward was part of the other conspiracy (the one that attacked Lincoln).
09-06-2015, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 09:43 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(09-06-2015 08:08 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Individuals take the challenge- and new books, articles, and essays are published. There probably is no end to discovering things about Lincoln. As time passes and history continues to unfold- new ways of understanding Lincoln and his impact on the world become revealed anew. In addition, new things about Lincoln are still being found as reseachers dig deep into archieves and find documents not seen since his day. Even though more than 15,000 works have been published about Lincoln since his day- authors continue to present Lincoln in new and relevant ways- and readers are the blessed benefactors.
Just curious - what is your (addressing everyone) favorite of the latest books, and which of the recent finds the most interesting/amazing to you? Why?
09-06-2015, 10:12 AM
I am currently re-reading Tom Bogar's BACKSTAGE AT THE LINCOLN ASSASSINATION and enjoy reading about the details about the stage production at Ford's Theater and the political leanings of the different actors who participated in the play that Lincoln attended the night of his assassination.
09-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Right now, I'm in agreement with Rogerm that Tom Bogar's work has been my favorite of the past couple of years. I really felt part of the whole narrative and it made me take into consideration the parts that so many of the "side players" had in the full story.
09-07-2015, 07:47 AM
This thread hits a home run and kind of hits home. It would be very difficult to publish a book about Sarah Slater because of the limited interest. However to be able to write a book on the Confederate Secret Service (a la Come Retribution) concentrating on Slater might find that publisher. On the one hand, we are lucky to have the new angles/perspectives as in Tom Bogar's work and the soon to be released book by Kathy Canavan. On the other hand, we have a new book on the country's (if not the world's) best known assassin that is so well written and rich in detail, it begs the author for more. Thank you Tom, Kathy and Terry.

Unfortunately, much that we discover will never appear in traditional print, fortunately we have the forum to disseminate these important discoveries.
09-07-2015, 08:28 AM
I'm listening again to Blood On The Moon by Dr. Steers. Like all great books there are things to be found that the reader may not have noticed on previous reads.

Bill Nash
09-07-2015, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 03:16 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
As for the latest books - despite Tom's, Art Loux' "JWB Day by Day" provided me a real new insight in Booth' planning, the scope and subtleness of his acting (e.g. to quieten all kinds of possible tongues) towards the deed. And Caleb's book on Henry Rathbone was "something new".
09-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Tongue RE: wHAT IS THERE ABOUT LINCOLN THAT WE DON'T KNOW?
The individual who is credited with casting the deciding vote that allowed President Andrew Johnson to remain in office was (Kansas) Senator Edmund Gibson Ross. An account of his decision and action constitues one of John F. Kennedy's "Profiles in Courage" in his (JFK's)1975 book of that title.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiles_in_Courage and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_G._Ross.

Robert W. Cook

(09-05-2015 10:29 PM)SSlater Wrote:  This web site has investigated almost everything, about everything, that there is to know about the Lincoln Assassination. We know what color socks that everybody wore on April 14, 1865. But, there were plots and charges, against Lincoln, that we have looked at only briefly. For example. What are the details of the charge that Stanton was involved in a plot? (I don't know.) Whenever something like this comes up, I say b/s, and move on - who cares? Finally, I do care.
What was accomplished by the Boutwell Hearings? Was Sanford Conover ever punished? (It was 100 years before he was Identified as Charles A. Dunham) (It was 150 years before Sarah Slater was found.) I would like to see DETAILS. (I'll bet that some details are still classified.)
I would like to challenge this forum to WORK. Get the details - publish them - prove answers. Show that what was done was legal or not. Did you know that Johnson beat the impeachment- by one vote.
Nothing is Unimportant. I'll bet we know more, collectively, than we think we do.
09-09-2015, 10:44 PM
(09-09-2015 07:13 PM)cookbob Wrote:  The individual who is credited with casting the deciding vote that allowed President Andrew Johnson to remain in office was (Kansas) Senator Edmund Gibson Ross. An account of his decision and action constitues one of John F. Kennedy's "Profiles in Courage" in his (JFK's)1975 book of that title.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiles_in_Courage and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_G._Ross.

Robert W. Cook

(09-05-2015 10:29 PM)SSlater Wrote:  This web site has investigated almost everything, about everything, that there is to know about the Lincoln Assassination. We know what color socks that everybody wore on April 14, 1865. But, there were plots and charges, against Lincoln, that we have looked at only briefly. For example. What are the details of the charge that Stanton was involved in a plot? (I don't know.) Whenever something like this comes up, I say b/s, and move on - who cares? Finally, I do care.

Thanx Bob, for your input. I never would have looked in JFK for the answer. I'm reading up on the various "Hearings" held after the war, where they were trying to "prove" that the South masterminded the Assassination. Dull reading. Also, it shows me that I need to read the Laws that were in effect at that time. (It's way over my head. JOHN
09-16-2015, 07:26 PM
That was my favorite "Profile" in J.F.K's book. No matter what side of the political spectrum that you might fall under, a politician should always vote his or her conscience and what is good for the country. If we had more politicians like that today we wouldn't have the divisiveness that we currently have.
09-17-2015, 03:51 PM
(09-16-2015 07:26 PM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  That was my favorite "Profile" in J.F.K's book. No matter what side of the political spectrum that you might fall under, a politician should always vote his or her conscience and what is good for the country. If we had more politicians like that today we wouldn't have the divisiveness that we currently have.

I second that!

Bill Nash