General George Crook's impression of Lincoln
08-30-2015, 10:26 AM
General George Crook's impression of Lincoln
Here is the impression of General George Crook[Civil war and the chaser of Geronimo] of Lincoln.He met Lincoln after the Battle of Bull Run.July 21,1861,"He was the most ungainly man I had ever seen,particularly his hands and feet".This is a quote from-The Fox and the Whirlwind.Crook was not a big fan of Custer or McClellan!However,he did have respect for Longstreet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2015, 12:06 PM
RE: General George Crook's impression of Lincoln
His description of Lincoln is similar to many others upon meeting him. Often, Lincoln would be prejudged negatively because of how he looked. That was a mistake to do as history tells us.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-30-2015, 12:37 PM
(08-30-2015 12:06 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  His description of Lincoln is similar to many others upon meeting him. Often, Lincoln would be prejudged negatively because of how he looked. That was a mistake to do as history tells us.

Regarding the Cooper Union Address a reporter for the New York Tribune wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"He was tall, tall — oh, how tall, and so angular and awkward that I had, for an instant, a feeling of pity for so ungainly a man. His clothes were black and ill-fitting, badly wrinkled — as if they had been jammed carelessly into a small trunk. His bushy head, with the stiff black hair thrown back, was balanced on a long and lean stock, and when he raised his hands in an opening gesture I noticed that they were very large.

He began in a very low tone of voice as if he were used to speaking out of doors and was afraid of speaking too loud. He said, 'Mr. Cheerman" instead of 'Mr. Chairman,' and employed many other words with an old-fashioned pronunciation. I said to myself: "Old fellow, you won't do. It is all very well for the wild west, but this will never go down in New York."

But pretty soon, he began to get into his subject: he straightened up and made regular and graceful gestures. His face lighted as with an inward fire; the whole man was transfigured. I forgot his clothes, his personal appearance, and his individual peculiarities. Presently, forgetting myself, I was on my feet with the rest, yelling like a wild Indian, cheering this wonderful man. In the close [sic] parts of his arguments, you could hear the gentle sizzing of the gas burners. When he reached a climax, the thunders of applause were terrific."
08-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Thanks Roger and Lincolnman,General Crook left a lot to be desired,so my opinion of him is-lukewarm at best!
08-30-2015, 08:26 PM
I read Crook's autobiography several years ago, so I probably have a different (warmer) opinion of him than you do. Interesting man. More of an Indian fighter than a successful Civil War general.
http://www.amazon.com/General-George-Cro...0806119829

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-31-2015, 01:36 AM
There is a very small town in Colorado by the name of "Crook" which, I assume, is named for him.
08-31-2015, 07:31 AM
Thanks Gene C-My feelings on him are based on his Civil War leadership or lack there of! I will agree with you about his escapades in the West.Some of the native American Chiefs did quite well against him!
08-31-2015, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2015 01:35 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(08-30-2015 12:06 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  His description of Lincoln is similar to many others upon meeting him. Often, Lincoln would be prejudged negatively because of how he looked. That was a mistake to do as history tells us.
Your words remind me of when Lincoln visited Robert at Philips Exeter Academy. First Robert's fellow students felt sorry for Robert because of his father's "unfashionable" look and appearance. After Lincoln held a speech, they were proud having met him.
08-31-2015, 11:09 PM
If I remember, Crook always had a reputation as a ruthless, cold-hearted fighter and self promoter.
09-01-2015, 07:40 AM
Jim,thanks,my feelings are the same as yours about Crook! I think that's why the the author of this book called him[in the title] the whirlwind and Geronimo the fox!He did not like Custer, because I feel that they had personalities that were very much alike in many ways!
09-05-2015, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 09:24 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
"What people don't realize is that his heart is as large as his arms are long".

-Mary Todd Lincoln, commenting on her husband Abraham Lincoln in the late 1950's.
09-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Crook and Custer were not A personalities, they were A++ personalities. Having both of them fighting Indians in the West would put them in the same arena chasing the same audience and press coverage. At least we were able to put MacArthur and Patton on opposite sides of the globe. On the flip side, having Montgomery and Patton so close together worked to push Patton harder and herder to outdo Montgomery.
09-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Jim,I agree with your opinion 100%!They were all ego-maniacs,thus it shows that likes often repel each other!
09-07-2015, 08:49 AM
As I understand it, Crook was critical of the federal Gov't for the repeated breaking of the treaties they made with the Indians, not living up to the treaty conditions, and giving the Indians bad deals. This created problems with those of higher rank. In the later years of his career, he was very much an advocate for better treatment and attempts to assimilate them into a changing world.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Excellent point Gene. Imagine the dismay the professional soldiers, who follow orders and often very bad orders.