Winkin' and Blinkin'
08-21-2015, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2015 11:31 AM by BettyO.)
Winkin' and Blinkin'
Found this online - it's a hoot! Be sure to take a look....

http://thecivilwarparlor.tumblr.com/post...lor-posted

It's ALIVE!!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2015, 02:09 PM
RE: Winkin' and Blinkin'
He obviously had a bad hair day, and Mary was certainly not amused!
08-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Indeed an unusual photo. According to Lloyd Ostendorf it was originally attributed to Mathew Brady but was actually taken in early 1865 by Lewis Emory Walker (a government photographer). One possible explanation (according to Ostendorf) for the short hair is that Lincoln wanted it short for the life mask Clark Mills was going to make. From previous experience (Leonard Volk) Lincoln knew that longer hair could cling to the plaster.
08-21-2015, 03:17 PM
I believe I found that same history on a National Portrait Gallery page yesterday while I was searching for an answer to Anita's great trivia question. I don't recall that they mentioned Ostendorf, however.
08-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Almost spooky in a way!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2015, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 01:48 PM by Anita.)
Thanks Betty. I enlarged the photo on your link and he sure does come alive! Now they need to put it together with a smile.

These two photos were both taken in February 1865. IMO he looks younger with the mod short hair cut. The first by Gardner Feb. 5 1865 and the second by Walker Feb. 1865.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Winkin' and blinkin' currently describes me as I am home today with pink eye!

Bill Nash
09-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Get well soon, Bill!
09-08-2015, 12:45 PM
I am on the way to my eye doctor right now. Thank you.

Bill Nash
10-05-2015, 09:22 AM
I couldn't resist posting this. Well, it's him, isn't it? Same hair, eyes and side parting!!!

Big Grin

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
10-05-2015, 11:39 AM
What an interesting site. Thanks for posting it Betty.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-05-2015, 04:50 PM
(10-05-2015 09:22 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  I couldn't resist posting this. Well, it's him, isn't it? Same hair, eyes and side parting!!!

Big Grin

Thunderbirds?

Bill Nash
10-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Betty, this is neat. Thanks for posting.

A few thoughts on that photo. With all do respect to Mr. Ostendorf, I have always been skeptical of the date of February 1865 for the photo with the mod hairdo. Is this date based only on the claim that he may have been sporting this hairdo to try and keep his hair out of the plaster when a life mask was created? I believe Mills made the life mask on February 11, 1865.

I am attaching 3 cropped photographs in a side by side format. First is a photo from the February 5, 1865 Gardner session. Next is the alleged February 1865 photo. Third is the March 6, 1865 Warren photo. The first and the third have pretty much established, accepted dates supported by some form of corroboration.

If Lincoln's hairdo is related to the life mask, that would presumably make the second photo after February 5 but before March 6 seeing as how the life mask was made on February 11 from what I have read. The side by side photo that I made has them in what would be sequential order if the February 1865 designation for the second photo is correct.

When I look at them that order, they don't seem to fit. The first and the third photos have definite similarities that aren't consistent with the second.

In the first photo his hair is sort of messy and longish. The same in the third photo. Very different in the second photo.

In the first photo his face very drawn. In the third photo he looks better but still drawn. In the second photo, his face looks more full and facial lines less apparent.

In the first photo, he has sort of partial whiskers - growing on his chin with no whiskers on his cheek between sideburns and chin (what Lincoln actor Fritz Kein calls his "1865 whiskers"). The same is true in the third photo. In the second photo he has whiskers from sideburns across his cheeks to his chin.

I know the photo angles are different, but it doesn't seem plausible to my admittedly untrained eyes that Lincoln would appear one way on February 5, look markedly different about 6 days later, then again very similar to what he looked like February 5 in a photo taken March 6.

What do you all think?

10-06-2015, 05:09 AM
Scott, IMO you sure make logical points. Personally I have never seen any other information (date, hair, etc.) other than Ostendorf's. Can anyone read the bottom of this LOC image?

[Image: 18958r.jpg]
10-06-2015, 08:13 AM
(10-06-2015 05:09 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Scott, IMO you sure make logical points. Personally I have never seen any other information (date, hair, etc.) other than Ostendorf's. Can anyone read the bottom of this LOC image?

[Image: 18958r.jpg]

The text states, "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1865, by E. & H. T. Anthony & Co. in Clerk's Office of the District Court of the U.S. for So. Dis. of New-York"