Are we scholars?
07-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Are we scholars?
I've been introduced by others many times as a "Lincoln scholar"- to which I have always replied that I am not. Like the members of this great Forum- I consider myself a "student" of Lincoln. Still, I ask the question: Are we indeed scholars in some sense? We certainly know more about Lincoln than the average person. We also have been studying him a long time. Academically, my degrees are in Psychology-not history. But does one need a degree in the subject at hand to be considered a scholar? Does one need a degree at all? Alright my fellow "scholars"- your thoughts please!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2015, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2015 04:51 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Are we scholars?
I am a published author - I am a scholar; Not a Lincoln scholar, mind you; but more or less a scholar of the assassination - at least I hope to be! I think we're ALL scholars in this sense (or any field we're passionate about and wish to continue learning)....one does not have to have a degree in order to be considered a scholar. As long as one can read, write and has a desire to learn and research, they are scholars in at least once sense. A professional scholar is one who is paid to research, etc. on a continuing basis or is employed by a university/school; at least that is my understanding. It doesn't mean that I'm any better than anyone else. I have a Master's degree in History. That and 10 cents won't buy a cup of coffee nowadays, unfortunately. All I have to show for all the work is a piece of paper to hang on the wall and literally mountains of debt.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
07-19-2015, 04:52 PM
I suspect (without looking it up) that the word "scholar" has its basis in a Latin word for "to study." However, I think that a scholar is several notches up on the scale because he/she has gained a good amount of knowledge in a particular subject. I think that qualifies quite a few of our forum members as scholars on Lincoln and/or the assassination, Civil War, 19th-century culture, etc.

I'm lucky enough to get paid for using my scholarly pursuits. I tell people that I am one of the fortunate people who turned my avocation into my vocation.
07-19-2015, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2015 06:04 PM by Thomas Kearney.)
I'm just a guy who is into the Lincoln assassination. This past spring, a friend asked me if I was a scholar. I got that question a lot this past Spring. I told him not officially but with my extremely high ego do consider myself a scholar. I later changed that answer to "No, I'm just a history nerd who looks a lot like Lewis Payne" Big Grin. For those who don't get it I do take off my Orioles cap. I'll have to share a picture before I lose my hair. And it's happening fast. I first noticed it at Shiloh last summer. I get it, I'm not at the scholar level yet. Maybe in a few years when I am at school in Springfield I could become one when not majoring in communications. I just need to tackle the ACT and get accepted at U of I Springfield.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
07-19-2015, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2015 07:20 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(07-19-2015 04:52 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I suspect (without looking it up) that the word "scholar" has its basis in a Latin word for "to study."
Yes, originally scholars were traveling students or clergy men who held no rank/office (position?) in the church. Nowadays "officially", i.e. as a profession, shall accomplish both: research and teaching [Forschung und Lehre]. (I like the term "history nerd".)

This is Merriam - Webster's definition:

- a person who has studied a subject for a long time and knows a lot about it
- an intelligent and well-educated person who knows a particular subject very well
- someone who has been given a scholarship

Full Definition
1: a person who attends a school or studies under a teacher :pupil

2a: a person who has done advanced study in a special field
b: a learned person

3 :a holder of a scholarship

Origin

Middle English scoler, from Old English scolere & Anglo-French escoler, from Medieval Latin scholaris, from Late Latin, of a school, from Latin schola school
First Use: before 12th century

http://i.word.com/idictionary/scholar

You could also consider your status by checking the antonyms:
-amateur, inexpert, nonexpert
...and applying mathematical "exclusive or" ("Kontravalenz") conclude: "If not a), then b)", or: "If not a)[ntonym], then s)[cholar]".

As for myself and re. "a person who has studied a subject for a long time and knows a lot about it" - I feel like Einstein - "The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know," respectively Socrates - "I know one thing: that I know nothing". Plus I'm forgetful. I'm happy about remembering where to look things up.
07-20-2015, 01:46 AM
Thank you Eva for the groundwork. I believe that the vast majority of those on the symposium would certainly qualify as a scholar.
10-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Wonder if there is a list online of past and present Lincoln scholars? The times I've clicked to Wikipedia, I don't think it has a category for Lincoln scholars, and which then links off to long listings of those.
10-22-2015, 07:48 AM
Although it's not online and is now quite outdated one book that came to mind is the Abraham Lincoln Encyclopedia by Mark E. Neely, Jr. The book covers most any Lincoln topic one can think of including many of the most famous Lincoln scholars, collectors, etc. The drawback, of course, is that it was published back in 1981 or 1982, and lots of names we're familiar with now are not included.
10-22-2015, 08:47 AM
"I'm just a guy who is into the Lincoln assassination. This past spring, a friend asked me if I was a scholar. I got that question a lot this past Spring. I told him not officially but with my extremely high ego do consider myself a scholar."

I think that Thomas Kearney is closer to the truth than a lot of us (including me) are wiling to admit.
10-22-2015, 11:25 AM
An Abraham Lincoln Encyclopedia? I'll take a look next chance that I get near a large library. It's a bit unexpected that Wiki does not set aside a category for Lincoln Scholars. I'm sure there have been hundreds past and present.
10-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Copies of the Abraham Lincoln Encyclopedia are available through Amazon or other on line book retailers

http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-En...cyclopedia

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?