The Weather
07-14-2015, 01:55 PM
The Weather
Today I came to recall a "wisdom" by my East Prussian grandma (respectively a traditional thinking in that area in her days) claiming that how the weather turns out at someone's burial corresponds to his "peace of mind" about death. I.e.the worse the weather the more the person clung to life. Right now I am not sure if I recall the weather at Abraham Lincoln's burial in Springfield correctly (rather poor), and not in detail, or mix it up with a stop of the funeral train (and currently cannot check my books). Does anyone know? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2015, 02:07 PM
RE: The Weather
In Scott Trostel's book it says:

Thursday, May 4, the day of Mr. Lincoln's Springfield funeral was a scorcher, described as an atmosphere almost intolerably hot and stifling, with little or no air stirring. The day dawned bright with a deep blue sky."

This was in contrast to much of the long train trip (rainy/cloudy on a lot of the days).
07-14-2015, 02:16 PM
On the day of Willie's funeral, the Washington area was hit with a violent storm.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks, Roger and Gene! To Willie my grandma's "country saying" certainly did apply.