Sunday School
07-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Sunday School
Christian denominations/variants in the USA and their features are very difficult for me to understand. (In Germany, believers almost entirely split into Catholics and Lutherans, both taught as a school subject, plus a small %age of Muslims.)

What exactly is Sunday school (it seems to be linked to religion), who is supposed to attend for how long, and to which denominations does this feature apply? Is it a Victorian institution, or still common practice? Was/is it a "must" for faithful believers?

Thanks for any enlightenment on this!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2015, 02:05 PM
RE: Sunday School
Sunday School is usually 45 minute to an hour of Bible study on Sundays, a separate time from the congregational worship service. There are different classes for different ages (including adults). All are welcome, although usually the members of the church are the only ones who attend the class. There is often a wide variety of bible class topics to study. Classes are taught at the church building and Bible is not taught at public schools, although many private schools have daily Bible class studies. Many churches have a mid week bible study or prayer session also.

While not a "must", many people attend the classes to learn and have a better understanding of how God wants us to live.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-14-2015, 02:52 PM
In my experience as a life-long Episcopalian (who has lapsed in church attendance), Sunday School on Sunday was usually reserved for ages nursery through high school and was held immediately before or immediately after the regular service. In later years, our congregations began the service with the children in their classes until right after the sermon (a technique designed by our priest, I'm sure, to try and achieve a quiet background for his teachings!). They then came in for the offering and communion with their family.

Adult classes were usually held on Sunday evenings or during the week -- and were generally poorly attended...
07-14-2015, 06:18 PM
When I was a kid in the '50s and '60s, Sunday School was where the kids went before the regular service. We were taught Bible verses and such. For a few months, although I was a Methodist, I went to the Baptist Sunday School across the street because the girls there were cuter.

That lasted until my dad found out about it.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
07-14-2015, 06:50 PM
(07-14-2015 06:18 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  When I was a kid in the '50s and '60s, Sunday School was where the kids went before the regular service. We were taught Bible verses and such. For a few months, although I was a Methodist, I went to the Baptist Sunday School across the street because the girls there were cuter.

That lasted until my dad found out about it.

--Jim

Ah declare Mister Page, you seem to have been a dirty old man even in your teens! Good for you.

I spent 26 years, starting at age 12, playing the organ at our church; but I still found time to admire the acolytes, crucifers, and altar boys.
07-14-2015, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2015 07:06 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thank you so much for educating me on the matter! I once again came across the institution in "Lincoln's Sons", which I am currently enjoying. So if I understand correctly it's still common practice in the Baptist and Episcopalian church (and Methodist?) - in any others, too?
The only similar I can think of is "Konfirmationsunterricht", which my dictionary translates as "confirmation class", which Lutherans must attend once a week for the two years prior to the confirmation at age 14. The Catholics have to undergo that, too, but only for half a year and at much younger age. (For both the classes are usually not on Sundays.)

Laurie, I'd love to hear you play the organ!!!
07-14-2015, 08:12 PM
(07-14-2015 06:50 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Ah declare Mister Page, you seem to have been a dirty old man even in your teens!

Hah! I just figured that I may as well enjoy pretty scenery as I learned my Bible lessons! At that time, I was far too shy to ever speak to anyone I didn't already know. Especially if they were girls!

Funny, though, how some of those verses stay in your head after all those years. I'm sometimes able to answer a Biblical "Jeopardy" question because of my Sunday School days!!!

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
07-14-2015, 10:09 PM
I was reading a book about the Richmond theater fire of 1811, and the author mentioned that the first Sunday schools in Richmond were started for poor children to get the rudiments of an education, not just religious teaching. Evidently this was the case in general:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/askt...start.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2015, 07:21 AM
(07-14-2015 06:18 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  When I was a kid in the '50s and '60s, Sunday School was where the kids went before the regular service. We were taught Bible verses and such. For a few months, although I was a Methodist, I went to the Baptist Sunday School across the street because the girls there were cuter.

That reminds me of a song.
The classic hymm "God Moves in a Mysterious Way" was my first choice, but then I was thinking about the greatest commandment, (which we were taught in Sunday School) so think about that as you listen and read the lyrics of this non-traditional Christian song. Angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0z87WrhGo

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-15-2015, 07:31 AM
Sunday School was and always has been a "biggie" in the Baptist Church. I was raised Baptist (my dad was a Baptist deacon) and yes, Sunday School was taught from pre-school on up through adults between the hours of 9 AM to about 10:45 AM - then it was time to go into the sanctuary to hear the Preacher for the next hour. This was a prerequisite every Sunday morning when I was a kid.

Even Lewis Powell "taught" Sunday School in his dad's church as a 14-15 year old kid. According to family record, in addition to the Sunday School class, he even once preached a small sermon in his father's pulpit when he was 16 years old. Apparently he wasn't shy about getting up and speaking before a group. I have the minutes for a couple of his father's churches - and boy were they strict! You could be thrown out of the church for cursing, and even missing services!

By the way, I have heard Laurie play the piano (and sing) on a number of occasions, and she plays AND sings beautifully!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-15-2015, 10:18 AM
"By the way, I have heard Laurie play the piano (and sing) on a number of occasions, and she plays AND sings beautifully!"

Thank you, Betty, but not anymore. Old age has done in the arthritic fingers and the vocal chords.

Back to Sunday School - didn't Stonewall Jackson conduct Sunday School for slaves and free blacks before the war?

Also, Eva - Episcopalians also took confirmation classes when I was a child. They usually lasted for a year before the actually confirmation service with the bishop on hand, and the confirmation was performed on those over the age of twelve. High church Episcopalians sometimes did First Communion at age 10. Our church is so close to Washington, D.C. that many of the classes have chosen to go to the National Cathedral for mass confirmations with other churches in our diocese.
07-15-2015, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2015 11:16 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Is it still common to rent a pew as the Lincolns' did? Is it done instead or additionally to the church tax (i.e. your "membership fee" to the respective denomination/church)?
07-15-2015, 12:00 PM
I can't answer the question about pew rental because I have never heard of such a practice in the 20th or 21st century. I am also not familiar with a church tax or membership fee.

Episcopalians never have to pay anything to belong to the church. Congregants participate in the general offering during various services, and some churches expect (but do not require) tithing where a certain portion of one's income is donated to the church. We may pledge a certain amount that we will contribute each year, but we are not forced into either pledging or living up to that pledge.
07-15-2015, 12:09 PM
I've never heard of any present-day American church renting out pews.

Some congregations in various denominations do put a great deal of pressure on their members to tithe, to the point where I think someone who didn't tithe would probably have to look for another congregation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2015, 01:31 PM
(07-15-2015 12:00 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I can't answer the question about pew rental because I have never heard of such a practice in the 20th or 21st century. I am also not familiar with a church tax or membership fee.

Episcopalians never have to pay anything to belong to the church. Congregants participate in the general offering during various services, and some churches expect (but do not require) tithing where a certain portion of one's income is donated to the church. We may pledge a certain amount that we will contribute each year, but we are not forced into either pledging or living up to that pledge.
When you are Lutheran or Catholic, it's marked in your tax card, and the church tax (9% of your income tax) is automatically deducted of your pay together with the income tax. Nevertheless when you attend a service you will be asked for a donation.