Harold confession
07-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Harold confession
I have always found David Harold to be an interesting character. I read that he wrote a confession over a 3 day period during the conspiracy trial and that it was lost. What are the prevailing theories as to what happened to it? Wouldn't it be amazing to read Davie's take on booth and their experiences on the run.......

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2015, 12:18 AM
RE: Harold confession
(07-03-2015 11:53 PM)Maykeith Wrote:  I have always found David Harold to be an interesting character. I read that he wrote a confession over a 3 day period during the conspiracy trial and that it was lost. What are the prevailing theories as to what happened to it? Wouldn't it be amazing to read Davie's take on booth and their experiences on the run.......

Thanks!
Harold did leave us a Statement, I don't have it handy, but he starts out " We came out of the Nanjemoy at sundown, passed within 200 yards of a gunboat and landed on Mathias Point,"

I can add to that, that it wasn't a Gunboat, it was a Lightship, and if he made that short a trip, he landed at Cawood's Camp. Cawood wasn't here, so he got back in the boat and went around Mathias Point, (to the next Lightship), at Gambo Creek.
07-04-2015, 05:04 AM
The statement Herold made to John Bingham when he was aboard the Montauk is in "The Evidence" (Edwards and Steers) and online here. Keith, as far as I know the writings of Herold during the trial have never been found.
07-04-2015, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 01:14 PM by L Verge.)
Roger is correct that those writings have never been found. I have often wondered whether they were really a confession, as some have thought, or Herold writing his thoughts about the trial -- or even composing poetry, which he was known to do.

I believe we have stated this before, but David Herold was not dim-witted, as many authors have portrayed him. This lone statement that we have rather skillfully tells the authorities what he wants them to know and carefully maneuvers around what he doesn't want them to know. This is especially true in regards to getting an accurate timeline and in identifying people, especially those who assisted in the escape. He invariably forgets to name those in the Maryland underground who assisted, but conveniently names those in Virginia who refused help (Dr. Stuart, Willie Jett).

I first read this statement back in the 1970s when James O. Hall asked me to transcribe all the accuseds' statements into book form so they could be sold at the Surratt House Museum. It was really a trip down memory's lane when Davey started rattling off all the people that he knew in Prince George's and Charles Counties. I knew where their houses were or had been and who some of their descendants were who were still around. I had picked strawberries as a child on the Griffin farm; Judge Parker's family had married into my family. I felt like I was in a time machine.