Lewis Powell
06-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Lewis Powell
Betty O. Did you ever read a book by Amanda Edmonds? She was a young lady that lived in Paris, Va, when Powell was hiding out in that region. Apparently, he lived with DR. Paine, a relative of hers. If you are interested, I will hunt up my copy. (t might be faster to try Interlibrary loan) I got it from the family that was living in her house.
Whatever, let me know and I'll start looking.
PS. I think the book is "A lass in the Confederacy", or "A lass in Mosby's Confederacy". Very close to that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2015, 06:02 PM
RE: Lewis Powell
Sounds fascinating, John. Thank you for posting.
06-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Quote:Did you ever read a book by Amanda Edmonds? She was a young lady that lived in Paris, Va, when Powell was hiding out in that region. Apparently, he lived with DR. Paine, a relative of hers. If you are interested, I will hunt up my copy. (t might be faster to try Interlibrary loan) I got it from the family that was living in her house.
Whatever, let me know and I'll start looking.
PS. I think the book is "A lass in the Confederacy", or "A lass in Mosby's Confederacy". Very close to that.

John - Oh, yes! And I was good friends with the author, Nancy Chappelear Baird. I've been up to her house in Delaplane, Virginia. Wonderful lady. She is now deceased. The book is grand and I don't doubt that Miss Amanda probably more or less knew Powell, although she does not mention him in her book; but does mention the Payne family in depth.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Oh, I must find that one and read it too!
06-21-2015, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 10:30 PM by Gene C.)
Good luck. It's a little to rich for me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...1434940040

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Guy's,

I know this has been discussed before- but I can't find it... Did Powell release his escape horse or did he fall from it?
09-21-2018, 02:18 PM
Betty O., where are you?
09-22-2018, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2018 07:16 AM by BettyO.)
Quote: I know this has been discus seen this before- but I can't find it... Did Powell release his escape horse or did he fall from it?

Apparently, JWB and the Conspirators were clumsy riders or their horses were clumsy.... JWB falling from his horse; Powell falling from his horse. Even though he was a crack rider (he had to but with Mosby), Powell's horse did throw him ( see The Evidence) but forget, in but my old age, which page. There is also a newspaper article in which Powell told Gillette that his horse stumbled and threw him. Powell apparently fell on his face and received a black eye and bruised, cut lip (see Barry Cauchon and John Elliott's work Inside the Walls). Powell was also knocked out with an apparent concussion, according to what he told Gillette. One eyed horses are more apt to fall or stumble. Powell was attempting to jump the horse over an embankment.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Maybe a matter of lacking experience? How often may Powell have ridden a horse in his life?
09-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Considering that over 1 million horses died in the war, mainly between the ages of four and nine, I can imagine that the remaining stock were either army rejects or handicapped in other ways.
09-22-2018, 02:29 PM
(09-22-2018 11:08 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  Considering that over 1 million horses died in the war, mainly between the ages of four and nine, I can imagine that the remaining stock were either army rejects or handicapped in other ways.

Powell must have had good horseman skills to have ridden with Mosby -- and most Southern boys knew how to control a horse. I suspect that the dark, unfamiliar terrain over which both Powell and Booth galloped contributed to their falls. In the case of Booth, I think his injury at Ford's Theatre may have contributed to uneven weight distribution once on the horse also??

Since the horse that Powell used (the one bought previously from Mudd's neighbor) was blind in one eye, I think that would also affect its depth perception in trying to leap an embankment. Was the horse even used to galloping or leaping? I have always perceived it to be a work horse or team horse on the farm.

Jerry is correct that good horses were in short supply -- especially on farms in Southern Maryland, where Yankee patrols raided farms and stole anything that they wanted for four years. Mr. Gardiner, the original owner of the one-eyed horse, was probably delighted to actually receive money for him...
09-22-2018, 02:59 PM
If Booth didn't sell his horses - history may have been different.
09-22-2018, 03:05 PM
(09-22-2018 02:59 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  If Booth didn't sell his horses - history may have been different.

Does anyone know what happened to the one-eyed horse that Powell rode after it was found and probably became government property?