Cokie Roberts
06-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Cokie Roberts
Most of you are probably familar with the political commentator, Cokie Roberts (one of my favorites by the way!). Keep your fingers crossed, but - barring unseen circumstances -- Ms. Roberts will be speaking at the Surratt Society's 40th Anniversary dinner and meeting on Friday, September 11, 2015, at the Colony South Hotel and Conference Center here in Clinton. Her topic will be her new book, Capital Dames, which discusses influential women in D.C. from 1848-1868.

Society members will receive full details within a month, and the deadline for reservations will be September 1. All are welcome, however, so please contact me at laurie.verge@pgparks.com to be included in any mailings on the event.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 04:24 PM
RE: Cokie Roberts
That's wonderful, Laurie!
06-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Do you sell the book at the Surratt House?
06-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Yes, we do. It's $25 plus $3 shipping. And, a hard cover too!

I got sidetracked and have not yet finished the last 50 or so pages, but it is a great read!
06-06-2015, 12:07 AM
I've been a fan of Cokie Roberts for ages..I used to love watching her on ABC's "This Week" with Sam Donaldson and George Stephanopoulos back in the 90's.
06-06-2015, 08:01 AM
Tremendous choice for a speaker! I wish that I could be there to hear her speak.
06-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Does she cover Mary Lincoln in the book? Is there any significance to the sate of her presentation being on 9/11?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2015, 07:28 PM
(06-05-2015 07:33 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Yes, we do. It's $25 plus $3 shipping. And, a hard cover too!

I got sidetracked and have not yet finished the last 50 or so pages, but it is a great read!
Thanks - you got me interested and I would like to come back to this once I have read my stack a little further down.
06-06-2015, 07:35 PM
(06-06-2015 01:42 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Does she cover Mary Lincoln in the book? Is there any significance to the sate of her presentation being on 9/11?

Bill,

Since the main theme of the book is on women who were influential in D.C. from 1848-1868, Mary is covered to some degree in all chapters covering 1860-1865. It really is more on a wide variety of women, however, who never get their due credits in history as the forces behind the successful men. This is a recurring theme in a series of books that she has done on American women from colonial times through the Founding Mothers.

She does include Mary Surratt in the book. I have not yet gotten to that chapter in order to find out her take on guilt of innocence.

As to the date - no significance at all. We had originally asked for Sunday afternoon, September 13. However - and I should have realized this - Ms. Roberts devotes her weekends to her political commentary appearances. It was then a matter of finding a Friday night that suited both Colony South Hotel's banquet rooms as well as Cokie.
06-09-2015, 02:08 PM
(06-05-2015 03:31 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Most of you are probably familar with the political commentator, Cokie Roberts (one of my favorites by the way!). Keep your fingers crossed, but - barring unseen circumstances -- Ms. Roberts will be speaking at the Surratt Society's 40th Anniversary dinner and meeting on Friday, September 11, 2015, at the Colony South Hotel and Conference Center here in Clinton. Her topic will be her new book, Capital Dames, which discusses influential women in D.C. from 1848-1868.

Society members will receive full details within a month, and the deadline for reservations will be September 1. All are welcome, however, so please contact me at laurie.verge@pgparks.com to be included in any mailings on the event.

I'll try to make it.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.