Interesting Article
06-05-2015, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 10:56 AM by L Verge.)
Interesting Article
Happened upon this online. Article is interesting, but opening photo was unknown to me. Anyone seen Lincoln statue in North Dakota?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/201...c=rss&_r=0

Forgot to add that I did not know until last week that Tom Bogar's great book, Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination, is being utilized by The Washington Post for a special history series of cartoons that the Post runs in the Sunday comics. This past week, "Scene Six" ends with the audience laughing over "sockdologizing old mantrap" as the shot is "heard" faintly in the back.

Congratulations, Tom!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 04:26 PM
RE: Interesting Article
I second Laurie. Kudos, Tom!
06-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Quote:Forgot to add that I did not know until last week that Tom Bogar's great book, Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination, is being utilized by The Washington Post for a special history series of cartoons that the Post runs in the Sunday comics. This past week, "Scene Six" ends with the audience laughing over "sockdologizing old mantrap" as the shot is "heard" faintly in the back.

Congratulations, Tom!

Kudos, Tom!

Laurie - can you give a link or tell us where we can enjoy the cartoons (if possible!) as well?

Thanks a bunch!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Kudos Tom!
06-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Yes - kudos, Tom! And I, too, would love to see these cartoons!
The statue is impressive, Laurie!
06-05-2015, 07:36 PM
(06-05-2015 05:35 PM)BettyO Wrote:  
Quote:Forgot to add that I did not know until last week that Tom Bogar's great book, Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination, is being utilized by The Washington Post for a special history series of cartoons that the Post runs in the Sunday comics. This past week, "Scene Six" ends with the audience laughing over "sockdologizing old mantrap" as the shot is "heard" faintly in the back.

Congratulations, Tom!

Kudos, Tom!

Laurie - can you give a link or tell us where we can enjoy the cartoons (if possible!) as well?

Thanks a bunch!

Someone more skilled at a computer can probably find a link. The cartoons have been carried in the Sunday comic section of The Washington Post for the past six weeks. If all else fails, I guess one of my staff could scan them and email them to Roger to work his wonders? Or you, Betty?
06-05-2015, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 07:38 PM by BettyO.)
(06-05-2015 07:36 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 05:35 PM)BettyO Wrote:  

Congratulations, Tom!

Kudos, Tom!

Thanks a bunch!

Someone more skilled at a computer can probably find a link. The cartoons have been carried in the Sunday comic section of The Washington Post for the past six weeks. If all else fails, I guess one of my staff could scan them and email them to Roger to work his wonders? Or you, Betty?

Sounds good, Laurie. I've been looking for a link but can't find one. What is the name of the comic strip? Or is there one?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-05-2015, 07:38 PM
(06-05-2015 06:52 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Yes - kudos, Tom! And I, too, would love to see these cartoons!
The statue is impressive, Laurie!

I know very little about Lincoln statues outside of Washington, D.C. Was this North Dakota one familiar to anyone? Anyone know the background story?
06-05-2015, 08:21 PM
According to Roadsidemerica.com one of many giant Presidential heads formerly in the defunct Presidents Park in Lead, SD. Purchased by a New York City land developer who built the RV park to profit from North Dakota's oil boom. The head by sculptor David Adickes was not moved gently, and now a big crack runs around Abe's neck.

This is the park where it came from: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9789
06-06-2015, 10:58 AM
(06-05-2015 08:21 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  According to Roadsidemerica.com one of many giant Presidential heads formerly in the defunct Presidents Park in Lead, SD. Purchased by a New York City land developer who built the RV park to profit from North Dakota's oil boom. The head by sculptor David Adickes was not moved gently, and now a big crack runs around Abe's neck.

This is the park where it came from: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9789

Apparently, North Dakota isn't the only state which has or had a presidential park. The same artist made similar statues for one in Virginia.

http://www.willistonherald.com/news/linc...f887a.html
06-06-2015, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 06:09 PM by Tom Bogar.)
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The syndicated cartoonist, Patrick Reynolds, approached me at a talk at the Civil War Round Table in Lancaster, PA (an amazing group--huge, appreciative audience), and asked if he could do a 7-8 week series of "Flashbacks" focusing on Harry Hawk. I of course said yes, and he checked with me via email frequently along the way to ascertain that things were accurate. I believe the series ends on June 14. I have tried numerous times in vain to find them on a website, but have faithfully cut them out each Sunday and saved them, and could perhaps color-copy them and send them to Roger, who doubtless possesses the technical wizardry to know how to upload them.
06-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Tom, I will sure give it a try!
06-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Thanks, Tom and Roger! As you know, I collect assassination - related cartoons and would LOVE to see them!

06-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Tom talked to Patrick Reynolds, and Patrick was kind enough to send scans of the cartoons.
I did not resize the images in order that they can be easily read in all monitor resolutions;
you may need to use the horizontal scroll bar to see all of the cartoons.

Thank you, Tom and Patrick!

[Image: Hawk1.jpg]

[Image: Hawk2.jpg]

[Image: Hawk3.jpg]

[Image: Hawk4.jpg]

[Image: Hawk5.jpg]

[Image: Hawk6.jpg]

[Image: Hawk7.jpg]

[Image: Hawk8.jpg]

[Image: Hawk9.jpg]
06-29-2015, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2015 05:40 PM by BettyO.)
Wow!! Thanks so very, very much, Tom and Patrick! These are wonderful!! And thank YOU, Roger for posting!