John Wilkes Booth's Escape Route
05-04-2015, 08:31 PM
John Wilkes Booth's Escape Route
Thank you. That is what I want to say to the Surratt House and its employees that I had the pleasure to meet this past weekend. My wife and I went on the Booth escape tour and the tour to Washington which included a trip to fort McNair. For those of you who have not been to the fort it is a must see. I could feel the history of that building and what it must have been like for all the people who were present during the trial. The person who helped me feel that way was our guide Joan Chaconas. Joan seemed to know everything there was to know on our tour. She made the trip so much more enjoyable. we were also lucky enough to have along with us the great great granddaughter of Dr. Mudd. She was such a sweet person. We also had the pleasure to meet and talk to Lynn Buonviri and her husband. To those who do not know her she is the writer who wrote Mary's Story A conversation with Mary Surratt. My wife purchased her book when we returned to the Surratt house on day two of our trip.Our guide for day two was a young lady named Lindsey and a gentleman named John. I am sorry but I can not remember John's last name. He and Lindsey were great together giving all of us a ton of information the whole day long. For those of you who don't know the escape route is a 12 hour tour. And for all those hours John just kept right on talking. He was excellent. From the start going into Ford's theater is just something everyone should do. You can not explain the feeling of being there. Then going to all the stops that Booth made during his escape was beyond words. One of my favorites was Dr. Mudd's home. All in all my wife and I had one of the best trips we have ever had together. I have always wanted to go on this tour and my wife who is not a history person loved the trip. So again thanks to all the people at the Surratt house for making our trip so wonderful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2015, 11:27 PM
RE: John Wilkes Booth's Escape Route
Hi Gary,

Thanks to your wonderful recap I am more fired up than ever to go on this Escape Tour someday!

It sounds beyond fantastic!
05-05-2015, 05:01 AM
I second Toia - that is a terrific post, Gary! Kudos. You mentioned a book I had never heard of before - Lynn Buonviri's "Mary's Story A conversation with Mary Surratt." That sounds like a fascinating book.
05-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Gary, sounds like you had a great time, One day I hope to take the Booth escape tour.
Please tell us more about Ms. Buonviri and her book, couldn't find it on Amazon or a first search on the internet.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-05-2015, 11:15 AM
I'm going to step in ahead of Gary with information on Lynn's book. Lynn Buonviri is a volunteer guide at Surratt House and also a doll collector. I don't know if she told Gary the background behind the book - which is a homegrown project with no publisher except Lynn.

Over a year ago, Lynn's collectors' group held a luncheon and meeting at Surratt House. Three of the ladies are (or have been) volunteers here, so Lynn concocted a special project for this event based on the Surratt story. One of her dolls spent over a month with us tucked on a shelf in our sewing room upstairs - forgotten and left behind evidently by Anna Surratt when she moved to D.C. in the fall of 1864. The doll became a Silent Witness (remember the story of the Silent Witness doll at the McLean House in Appomattox?) to the spirits that supposedly wander the halls of Surratt House when the lights go down. The doll's "experiences" form the text of Lynn's book - but it is really not a ghost book.

The book is a perfect "grandmother's gift" for young girls ages 5-12. To make it even more appealing, Lynn arranged for one of her seamstress friends to create handmade dolls to sell along with the book. When we sell out, Lynn just prints more books and her friend gets out the needle and thread.

I believe I'm correct that the original Silent Witness doll that sat upon our shelves was given as a door prize at the doll collectors' luncheon.

This project reminds me somewhat of another such thing that we participated in about five years ago. If you are grandparents, you probably have heard of Flat Stanley -- a paper doll created by a child and sent off to relatives to have his picture taken at various historic places, stores, events, etc. Flat Stanley visits Surratt House all the time, but have you heard of Civil War Sally?

Civil War Sally is a teddy bear dressed in 19th-century garb and created by a then-8th grade student (I forget where). She arrived one day at Surratt House via USPS with a note asking that she spend a few weeks with us and participate in/be photographed in various events at the museum. You talk about old ladies having fun! Sally was photographed sitting on our fence waving to passers-by, being held by guides while on tour, viewing our special exhibit, helping the collections manager clean house, chatting with school groups, etc. I don't know who had more fun, Sally, my staff, or the visitors.

At the end of the project, Civil War Sally was sent home with all of the photographs -- and this is where the really creative part came. Her real-life mistress created an award-winning website which featured the various places Sally had traveled, the history behind each site, and the photographs of Sally at each place. This from an 8th grader!

Who says that history and museums are boring? As I type, two of my staff members are with a class of 35 fifth graders. We have them for four hours today. In addition to the regular students' tour through the historic house, the children will have lunch in our picnic area and then spend the afternoon with two special programs - one on what life was like in the mid-19th century here in Southern Maryland (complete with everything from trying on period clothes to using weird utensils), and the other our mock trial of Mary Surratt.

Tomorrow, we will host twenty special needs middle-schoolers where we rely on objects where the basics of homelife then are taught through the senses -- snippets of herbs from our garden, lamb's wool to show how clothing began, small mattresses stuffed with corn shucks and others stuffed with feathers, horsehair for stuffing upholstered chairs, homemade lye soap, plugs of chewing tobacco (which some think are brownies until they sniff them!).

Sorry for getting carried away, but there are so many wonderful things one can do to get historical points across to the young (and the old also).
05-05-2015, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 05:39 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Gary - I am so glad you had such a wonderful weekend, especially as I recall you looking forward to it for so long. I agree, both tours are fascinating, and the "Surratt staff" is doing an awesome job. Kudos, Laurie! (As for getting carried away I enjoy what you write when you do.) I, too, am in favor of teaching via illustrating, exploring, and using various sensory channels (despite seeing and hearing touching, smelling and tasting - did I forget any?) and "Realia" - real, original items. It must be wonderful to work in such a place and create "learning events".

Gene, re.: "One day I hope to take the Booth escape tour" - that's what I hope regarding your Springfield trip!
05-05-2015, 06:21 PM
I'm just glad I outgrew Flat Stanley when I was 7.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
05-05-2015, 07:09 PM
(05-05-2015 06:21 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  I'm just glad I outgrew Flat Stanley when I was 7.

But how many places and things did you learn about because Flat Stanley visited them when you couldn't?

When our latest Flat Stanley arrived with Grandma a few weeks ago, we had just started a tour with a group of senior citizens. We rushed Grandma up to the house and asked for permission to interrupt long enough to snap some photos of Stan the Man at the bar and with the guide. There were literally squeals of delight from the seniors as soon as they saw Flat Stanley.

Some of them even had their photo taken with Stanley, and it took about ten minutes to quiet them down again. Each wanted to tell about their experiences traveling from place to place with their Flat Stanleys. One lady had granddaughters, so she insisted that Stanley had to become Stephanie and dress like a girl. Talk about gender issues.

My wish for you, Thomas, is that you grow up to father at least six children and that your grandchildren each send you a Flat Stanley to hustle around town with. You should never outgrow history, learning, and having fun - no matter what you have to do to achieve those things.
05-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Laurie and Thomas, one year, when I couldn't attend an annual trip to the Nashville Guitar Show, my musician buddies made a "Flat Jim" and had him photographed with every barmaid and guitar picker they could get to do it. Flat Jim graced the stage of the old Ryman Auditorium, where Hank Williams and Elvis played the Grand Ol' Opry (Elvis, just starting out at the time, was told that night not to quit his truck-driving job by Roy Acuff). Flat Jim sat on top of a left-handed Gibson Flying V once owned by Jimi Hendrix and he stood next to Stevie Ray Vaughan's #1 Strat. I was so jealous of Flat Jim.

My favorite photo was the one of Flat Jim held by Rick Derringer, of "Hang On, Sloopy" and "Rock and Roll, Hootchie Koo" fame.

And Thomas probably hasn't heard either of those great old songs!

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
05-05-2015, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 09:39 PM by Gene C.)
"Hang On Jim", I remember that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlTKhPkZSJo
(for mature and immature audiences only)

05-06-2015, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 07:35 AM by GARY POPOLO.)
(05-05-2015 11:15 AM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm going to step in ahead of Gary with information on Lynn's book. Lynn Buonviri is a volunteer guide at Surratt House and also a doll collector. I don't know if she told Gary the background behind the book - which is a homegrown project with no publisher except Lynn.

Over a year ago, Lynn's collectors' group held a luncheon and meeting at Surratt House. Three of the ladies are (or have been) volunteers here, so Lynn concocted a special project for this event based on the Surratt story. One of her dolls spent over a month with us tucked on a shelf in our sewing room upstairs - forgotten and left behind evidently by Anna Surratt when she moved to D.C. in the fall of 1864. The doll became a Silent Witness (remember the story of the Silent Witness doll at the McLean House in Appomattox?) to the spirits that supposedly wander the halls of Surratt House when the lights go down. The doll's "experiences" form the text of Lynn's book - but it is really not a ghost book.

The book is a perfect "grandmother's gift" for young girls ages 5-12. To make it even more appealing, Lynn arranged for one of her seamstress friends to create handmade dolls to sell along with the book. When we sell out, Lynn just prints more books and her friend gets out the needle and thread.

I believe I'm correct that the original Silent Witness doll that sat upon our shelves was given as a door prize at the doll collectors' luncheon.

This project reminds me somewhat of another such thing that we participated in about five years ago. If you are grandparents, you probably have heard of Flat Stanley -- a paper doll created by a child and sent off to relatives to have his picture taken at various historic places, stores, events, etc. Flat Stanley visits Surratt House all the time, but have you heard of Civil War Sally?

Civil War Sally is a teddy bear dressed in 19th-century garb and created by a then-8th grade student (I forget where). She arrived one day at Surratt House via USPS with a note asking that she spend a few weeks with us and participate in/be photographed in various events at the museum. You talk about old ladies having fun! Sally was photographed sitting on our fence waving to passers-by, being held by guides while on tour, viewing our special exhibit, helping the collections manager clean house, chatting with school groups, etc. I don't know who had more fun, Sally, my staff, or the visitors.

At the end of the project, Civil War Sally was sent home with all of the photographs -- and this is where the really creative part came. Her real-life mistress created an award-winning website which featured the various places Sally had traveled, the history behind each site, and the photographs of Sally at each place. This from an 8th grader!

Who says that history and museums are boring? As I type, two of my staff members are with a class of 35 fifth graders. We have them for four hours today. In addition to the regular students' tour through the historic house, the children will have lunch in our picnic area and then spend the afternoon with two special programs - one on what life was like in the mid-19th century here in Southern Maryland (complete with everything from trying on period clothes to using weird utensils), and the other our mock trial of Mary Surratt.

Tomorrow, we will host twenty special needs middle-schoolers where we rely on objects where the basics of homelife then are taught through the senses -- snippets of herbs from our garden, lamb's wool to show how clothing began, small mattresses stuffed with corn shucks and others stuffed with feathers, horsehair for stuffing upholstered chairs, homemade lye soap, plugs of chewing tobacco (which some think are brownies until they sniff them!).

Sorry for getting carried away, but there are so many wonderful things one can do to get historical points across to the young (and the old also).
Laurie, Thank you for explaining how this story was developed. Lynn did give me some background on how and why she wrote this story. I think it was a great way to reach young minds and some older one's also. Laurie, you have quite a fine group of people all working to make both our American history and civil war history fun to learn. Keep up the great work.

(05-05-2015 05:37 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Gary - I am so glad you had such a wonderful weekend, especially as I recall you looking forward to it for so long. I agree, both tours are fascinating, and the "Surratt staff" is doing an awesome job. Kudos, Laurie! (As for getting carried away I enjoy what you write when you do.) I, too, am in favor of teaching via illustrating, exploring, and using various sensory channels (despite seeing and hearing touching, smelling and tasting - did I forget any?) and "Realia" - real, original items. It must be wonderful to work in such a place and create "learning events".

Gene, re.: "One day I hope to take the Booth escape tour" - that's what I hope regarding your Springfield trip!
Thank you Eva, Yes it was a great trip. One I won't soon forget. I would also like to say that southern people for the most part are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Every where my wife and I went we were treated with such kindness. I wish some of our northern folks would take that lead. It does not take any more energy to be kind to your fellow man or woman. Please don't get me wrong not all people from the north are rude, but it just seems that each time my travel's take me south it just seems people are so much kinder. Something to think about.
05-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Laurie, do you have any of the "Mary's Story" books and the dolls available?

05-06-2015, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 12:13 PM by L Verge.)
(05-06-2015 07:24 AM)GARY POPOLO Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 11:15 AM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm going to step in ahead of Gary with information on Lynn's book. Lynn Buonviri is a volunteer guide at Surratt House and also a doll collector. I don't know if she told Gary the background behind the book - which is a homegrown project with no publisher except Lynn.

Laurie, Thank you for explaining how this story was developed. Lynn did give me some background on how and why she wrote this story. I think it was a great way to reach young minds and some older one's also. Laurie, you have quite a fine group of people all working to make both our American history and civil war history fun to learn. Keep up the great work.

(05-05-2015 05:37 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Gary - I am so glad you had such a wonderful weekend, especially as I recall you looking forward to it for so long. I agree, both tours are fascinating, and the "Surratt staff" is doing an awesome job. Kudos, Laurie! (As for getting carried away I enjoy what you write when you do.) I, too, am in favor of teaching via illustrating, exploring, and using various sensory channels (despite seeing and hearing touching, smelling and tasting - did I forget any?) and "Realia" - real, original items. It must be wonderful to work in such a place and create "learning events".

Thank you Eva, Yes it was a great trip. One I won't soon forget. I would also like to say that southern people for the most part are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Every where my wife and I went we were treated with such kindness. I wish some of our northern folks would take that lead. It does not take any more energy to be kind to your fellow man or woman. Please don't get me wrong not all people from the north are rude, but it just seems that each time my travel's take me south it just seems people are so much kinder. Something to think about.

Bless your pea-picking heart, Gary! My daughter has fussed at me for years because, no matter where I am, I will strike up a conversation with strangers. I think I'm being warm and friendly - she thinks it's embarrassing to her.

(05-06-2015 09:38 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Laurie, do you have any of the "Mary's Story" books and the dolls available?

Gary bought the last one we had in stock. Don't worry, we'll make more, but I'm not sure how long it will take.
05-06-2015, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 06:02 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(05-06-2015 07:24 AM)GARY POPOLO Wrote:  I would also like to say that southern people for the most part are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Every where my wife and I went we were treated with such kindness.
I wholeheartly agree on and confirm this! Everywhere I experienced the most helpful, friendly, polite, welcoming, respectful, and hospitable people imaginable - and so lighthearted, and positive! And smiling! They just make you feel good and happy. Such a difference to Germany.
Gary, may I ask where you are from? BTW, Dr. Mudd's home was one of my favorites on the tour, too. Such an idyllic place, but what a haunting "background".
05-06-2015, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 07:41 PM by L Verge.)
You have no idea how envious I am of the scenic vistas and acreage at the Dr. Mudd House. I'd have a 19th-century working farm established there in a heartbeat! I content myself to the thought that the Surratt plantation was nearly 300 acres at one time and that Mr. Surratt likely chose the crossroads on which to build because of the traffic that would flow past and through his tavern door.

I could be happier without the numerous trucks today, but Surratt's ghost is probably standing on the tavern porch wishing he could get them in for business at the tavern and in the public dining room. We used to laugh and say that we would someday replace the tavern porch with a drive-through lane where the customer could get a six-pack and five-minute tour for $3.