Death of Lincoln 150
04-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Death of Lincoln 150
Forum members:
Now that the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's death has passed, please share how you observed the day.

I attended "Lincoln Day" at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. There were many activities going on. For me, the highlight was seeing the chair that Lincoln was shot in while sitting. For the first time ever (for me anyway)- the chair was removed from its sealed glass enclosure and placed on a platform. Visitors had a 360 degree opportunity to view the chair. To have a picture taken in front of the chair required standing in a line to do so- which I did. There were period-dressed Union soldiers guarding the chair. I assume the chair will not be viewed again this way- at least not in our lifetimes.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2015, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2015 02:50 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Death of Lincoln 150
I was teaching an adult bible class at church last night and somehow the subject of Abraham Lincoln and his christian values came up. (Imagine that)
Fortunately I just happened to have with me a copy of the short farewell address he gave as he left his home in Springfield to serve as President in Washington. We had an interesting discusion on prayer, faith, the importance and need for all of us (including our political leaders) to have and display these types of values in our daily lives. They enjoyed talking about him and actually stayed late beyond our normal quiting time.

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/linc...ewell3.htm

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
04-16-2015, 03:45 PM
I spent the day at work at Surratt House talking with lots of visitors, most of whom had attended the Ford's ceremonies. Then I went home to watch the C-Span version of yesterday's event.

Just an aside, but I was not happy with the actor that they chose for Dr. Leale -- and, do we know whether or not Leale was in uniform at the theater or civilian attire like Rathbone? The actor portraying Dr. Leale could have passed for Peanut John Burroughs, imo.
04-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Bill, I received many questions from students through my Lincoln web pages, and I spent a good deal of the day answering them. Several questions came from abroad making me think commemorating the event was done by teachers in their classes internationally.
04-16-2015, 05:28 PM
I was happy with the attention that the event was given in the media. Several news outlets ran stories pertaining to it. Also, speaking of students, there were busloads and busloads of school kids brought to the Henry Ford event. Frankly, it was heartwarming to see.

Bill Nash
04-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Quote:I was not happy with the actor that they chose for Dr. Leale --

I thought the very same thing. He most certainly didn't look in anyway like Leale with those long flowing locks. I believe that he would be either dressed in military uniform, or if in civilian dress, he would have probably have worn a more formal frock coat and most certainly have worn a top hat rather than that little bowler. He reminded me of Herold with that hat!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-16-2015, 07:15 PM
(04-16-2015 06:06 PM)BettyO Wrote:  
Quote:I was not happy with the actor that they chose for Dr. Leale --

I thought the very same thing. He most certainly didn't look in anyway like Leale with those long flowing locks. I believe that he would be either dressed in military uniform, or if in civilian dress, he would have probably have worn a more formal frock coat and most certainly have worn a top hat rather than that little bowler. He reminded me of Herold with that hat!

I applaud the Society and the NPS for carrying out this project, but there were things like the poor casting of Leale that made me concerned. Most of it made me worry about the world of reenactors fading away.

Back in the 1980s, when the Federal City Brass Band was just getting started, they appeared several times at the Civil War encampments that we sponsored at Surratt House (now we can't afford them!). Yesterday, I was struck by their advancing age! Then I started noticing the civilian and soldier reenactors who were present. The average age appeared to be 60-65 or older. Are Civil War functions appealing to any younger people today? It was generally a young man's war in the 1860s when it came to soldiering.
04-16-2015, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2015 07:42 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(04-16-2015 04:51 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Bill, I received many questions from students through my Lincoln web pages, and I spent a good deal of the day answering them. Several questions came from abroad making me think commemorating the event was done by teachers in their classes internationally.
I am out of the country and out of TV either, so I could only follow events via internet, but I know that German TV, news and newspapers did carry "Lincoln specials".
04-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Did any of you (like me) take a look at the clock at 722am?

Bill Nash
04-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Driving my daughter to school, I noticed that it was 7:21 and I asked that we maintain silence until 7:23. At that point, she sadly said, "he's dead."
04-17-2015, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2015 03:53 PM by DKEast.)
(04-16-2015 03:45 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I spent the day at work at Surratt House talking with lots of visitors, most of whom had attended the Ford's ceremonies. Then I went home to watch the C-Span version of yesterday's event.

Just an aside, but I was not happy with the actor that they chose for Dr. Leale -- and, do we know whether or not Leale was in uniform at the theater or civilian attire like Rathbone? The actor portraying Dr. Leale could have passed for Peanut John Burroughs, imo.

Ugh I made it to the Surratt House at 3:30..The woman there (not you) said they closed at 3:15 and were waiting for last tour to come back to the visitors center. After visiting Fords/Petersen etc I left the city to crash overnight at a friends in Millersville MD. I departed DC at 6:30. I missed a call from Angela (I'm sorry!) presumably to invite me to the Harrington Hotel for some wine. At that time, I was already in Millersville and quite tired so I punted coming back. The next morning I drove down to Port Royal and parked near the new sign and walked along the shoulder to right where the "warning" signs are and took a couple pictures from across the road. I probably could have went back there but I had been there in 2008 and there was nothing to see then. After a nice little jaunt around Port Royal (and seeing the boarded up place where Booth & Herold originally tried to get lodging that last night, were offered and then had offer rescinded), I had a nice lunch at River Haven overlooking the river. It seems like the closed Port Royal Tavern appears ready to reopen again under a new name? The parking lot was recently repaved! A new sign is up too. Anyways took a picture of the half masted flag at Port Royal PO and got needed stamps there along with a hand written and stamped receipt for April 15, 2015. From PR I backtracked the assassins travels, seeing the Pine Thicket area, Rich Hill, Mudd House (didn't tour as I wanted to see Surratt before closing) and of course the Surratt place. There was a woman sitting at the desk in the Visitors Center when I walked in, was it you?

(04-17-2015 09:50 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Did any of you (like me) take a look at the clock at 722am?

Yes and I choked up too!
04-17-2015, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2015 04:05 PM by L Verge.)
(04-17-2015 03:52 PM)DKEast Wrote:  
(04-16-2015 03:45 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I spent the day at work at Surratt House talking with lots of visitors, most of whom had attended the Ford's ceremonies. Then I went home to watch the C-Span version of yesterday's event.

Ugh I made it to the Surratt House at 3:30..The woman there (not you) said they closed at 3:15 and were waiting for last tour to come back to the visitors center. After visiting Fords/Petersen etc I left the city to crash overnight at a friends in Millersville MD. I departed DC at 6:30. I missed a call from Angela (I'm sorry!) presumably to invite me to the Harrington Hotel for some wine. At that time, I was already in Millersville and quite tired so I punted coming back. The next morning I drove down to Port Royal and parked near the new sign and walked along the shoulder to right where the "warning" signs are and took a couple pictures from across the road. I probably could have went back there but I had been there in 2008 and there was nothing to see then. After a nice little jaunt around Port Royal (and seeing the boarded up place where Booth & Herold originally tried to get lodging that last night, were offered and then had offer rescinded), I had a nice lunch at River Haven overlooking the river. It seems like the closed Port Royal Tavern appears ready to reopen again under a new name? The parking lot was recently repaved! A new sign is up too. Anyways took a picture of the half masted flag at Port Royal PO and got needed stamps there along with a hand written and stamped receipt for April 15, 2015. From PR I backtracked the assassins travels, seeing the Pine Thicket area, Rich Hill, Mudd House (didn't tour as I wanted to see Surratt before closing) and of course the Surratt place. There was a woman sitting at the desk in the Visitors Center when I walked in, was it you?

(04-17-2015 09:50 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Did any of you (like me) take a look at the clock at 722am?

Yes and I choked up too!

If the woman at the desk was to your left as you entered the visitors' center, yes, that was me. Where is the River Haven restaurant in Port Royal?
04-17-2015, 04:15 PM
(04-17-2015 04:05 PM)L Verge Wrote:  

Yes and I choked up too!

If the woman at the desk was to your left as you entered the visitors' center, yes, that was me. Where is the River Haven restaurant in Port Royal?

OMG I didn't recognize you! I came in just past closing. It is on the southbound side of Rt 301 right at the river with great river views. I'm hoping the charming Port Royal Tavern is going to reopen too. Im looking to do an April 25-26 run down there again doing just Surratt, Mudd and Port Royal again. I love Port Royal, Virginia.
04-17-2015, 07:05 PM
(04-17-2015 04:15 PM)DKEast Wrote:  

Yes and I choked up too!

OMG I didn't recognize you! I came in just past closing. It is on the southbound side of Rt 301 right at the river with great river views. I'm hoping the charming Port Royal Tavern is going to reopen too. Im looking to do an April 25-26 run down there again doing just Surratt, Mudd and Port Royal again. I love Port Royal, Virginia.

Everyone loves the town of Port Royal - even the Rockefeller family. How many of you knew that, when they were looking for a colonial town to restore back in the 1930s, the Rockefellers looked at both Port Royal and Annapolis before they decided on Williamsburg (with a little persuasion from the priest at Bruton Parish Episcopal Church in Williamsburg who was keen on reviving the history)? Williamsburg was also so close to Jamestown and Yorktown that a more complete history could be covered. However, because of their interest, a great deal of research on the colonial history around Port Royal was done by their staff.

The Garrett Farm marker is going to be dedicated on Sunday, April 26, at 2 pm at the Port Royal Museum, if you're still in the area.
04-18-2015, 07:20 AM
(04-17-2015 07:05 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(04-17-2015 04:15 PM)DKEast Wrote:  

Yes and I choked up too!

Everyone loves the town of Port Royal - even the Rockefeller family. How many of you knew that, when they were looking for a colonial town to restore back in the 1930s, the Rockefellers looked at both Port Royal and Annapolis before they decided on Williamsburg (with a little persuasion from the priest at Bruton Parish Episcopal Church in Williamsburg who was keen on reviving the history)? Williamsburg was also so close to Jamestown and Yorktown that a more complete history could be covered. However, because of their interest, a great deal of research on the colonial history around Port Royal was done by their staff.

The Garrett Farm marker is going to be dedicated on Sunday, April 26, at 2 pm at the Port Royal Museum, if you're still in the area.

Thanks Laurie! I had never noticed the Port Royal (PR) Museum before until the April 15th and tried to go in, but closed except on Saturdays it said. I never knew that about the Rockefellers. You would think they could have done both Williamsburg & PR!! I think it is time to devote resources to PR. Does anyone know of the provenance of the chimney held up by supports right as one enters into PR on Rt. 301 southbound and down? It has been there as I recall since my first PR visit 30 years ago in June 1985! A pass through with my late father as we were headed to my grandmothers place in Fort Myers Florida (and then back with her in car a few days later) in May 1984 just after my Lafayette College graduation doesn't count but is a good memory. There was no way I was going to get him to tool around Port Royal!