Newseum exhibit on reporting the assassination
04-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Newseum exhibit on reporting the assassination
CSPAN did a report on the exhibit, which as everyone here knows, is on the site of the National Hotel.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?325236-1/li...ws-reports

Heath
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2015, 10:09 AM
RE: Newseum exhibit on reporting the assassination
thanks Heath.
Quite interesting to see how the news progressed immediately following the assassination

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
04-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Thanks for a very interesting video, Heath!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Saw the exhibit yesterday when I went to the James L. Swanson talk. Here is a picture of me and Swanson:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/86528312@N06/16925987867/

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
04-13-2015, 01:05 PM
I was the one that verified their long-unknown 8:45 AM edition of the April 15, 1865 New York Herald was in fact genuine. I have collected April 15, 1865 New York Herald reprints for 30 years. So far I have documented nearly 3 dozen reprint versions produced between 1871 and the 1950s. I have produced an online atlas of known reprint versions showing all pages (2 or 4) of each reprints that can be viewed at full size. Now people can identify which reprint version they have. The direct URL is http://www.historybuff.com/newspapers/assassination

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

"Not everything you read on the Internet is true." Abraham Lincoln
04-14-2015, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2015 04:23 PM by Anita.)
(04-13-2015 09:55 AM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  CSPAN did a report on the exhibit, which as everyone here knows, is on the site of the National Hotel.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?325236-1/li...ws-reports

Heath

Thanks for the link. Very informative exhibit.

(04-13-2015 01:05 PM)historybuff22 Wrote:  I was the one that verified their long-unknown 8:45 AM edition of the April 15, 1865 New York Herald was in fact genuine. I have collected April 15, 1865 New York Herald reprints for 30 years. So far I have documented nearly 3 dozen reprint versions produced between 1871 and the 1950s. I have produced an online atlas of known reprint versions showing all pages (2 or 4) of each reprints that can be viewed at full size. Now people can identify which reprint version they have. The direct URL is http://www.historybuff.com/newspapers/assassination

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

Rick, what made you decide to collect the NY Herald editions? Did the Washington papers have access to more inside information ?
04-14-2015, 07:42 PM

(04-13-2015 01:05 PM)historybuff22 Wrote:  I was the one that verified their long-unknown 8:45 AM edition of the April 15, 1865 New York Herald was in fact genuine. I have collected April 15, 1865 New York Herald reprints for 30 years. So far I have documented nearly 3 dozen reprint versions produced between 1871 and the 1950s. I have produced an online atlas of known reprint versions showing all pages (2 or 4) of each reprints that can be viewed at full size. Now people can identify which reprint version they have. The direct URL is http://www.historybuff.com/newspapers/assassination

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

Rick, what made you decide to collect the NY Herald editions? Did the Washington papers have access to more inside information ?
[/quote]

I have nearly 200 different original editions of both Union & Confederate newspapers related to the assassination. The 4/15/1865 New York Herald is the most-often reprinted Lincoln assassination newspaper. I am attempting to put together one of each confirmed reprint version so others will be able to determine which reprint version they have. You don't know how many phone calls I have recevied in the past 40 years stating that they "have an original Lincoln assassination newspaper. Do I want to buy it?" Out of perhaps 10,000 such calls, only ONCE was it an original! To untrained eyes, since almost all of the reprints were produced over 100-years ago, Thus, they LOOK old and for that reason they assume it is real.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

04-15-2015, 09:03 AM
(04-14-2015 07:42 PM)historybuff22 Wrote:  

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

I have nearly 200 different original editions of both Union & Confederate newspapers related to the assassination. The 4/15/1865 New York Herald is the most-often reprinted Lincoln assassination newspaper. I am attempting to put together one of each confirmed reprint version so others will be able to determine which reprint version they have. You don't know how many phone calls I have recevied in the past 40 years stating that they "have an original Lincoln assassination newspaper. Do I want to buy it?" Out of perhaps 10,000 such calls, only ONCE was it an original! To untrained eyes, since almost all of the reprints were produced over 100-years ago, Thus, they LOOK old and for that reason they assume it is real.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

[/quote]

Thanks. Had no idea so many reproductions are out there. Probably some are the ones I saw on eBay. Your expertise benefits us all.