Young Abe Lincoln - His Teenage Years
04-06-2015, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 08:12 AM by Gene C.)
Young Abe Lincoln - His Teenage Years
Written by Fred Conway in 1992, with 128 pages

Interesting short book with many illustrations and photo's on almost every other page. Many illustrations by Lloyd Ostendorf.

Not a children's book, but it is easy to read and follow. Some of the information is probably more legend than fact, such as his mother's dying words, and some of the girls he was interested in as a teen. The book explains that in his late teenage years, his generous father had co-signed a note for someone who couldn't or didn't pay. Abraham and even his sister helped pay his father pay it off the debt by working various jobs for neighbors, in Abraham's case this took most of his later teenage years, with his father getting the wages he earned.

Another item I found interesting, after his father remarries and his new wife with her three children come to Indiana to live with them, there are 8 people living in this small one room cabin. Between two to three years later, Dennis Hanks who is 21 (Abe's cousin who lives with them and about ten years older than Abraham) , marries Elizabeth Johnson (Abe's half sister) who is only 14, and soon move into their own cabin. His other step sister, Matilda Johnson, marries a couple of years later at the age of 15.

It is an interesting short book, if you are interested in this time period of Lincoln's life. I have enjoyed it.

You can find it on Amazon. I was able to get a new copy for $4.45
http://www.amazon.com/Young-Abe-Lincoln-...red+conway

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply