2016 Conference
04-01-2015, 03:46 PM
2016 Conference
CHANGE OF DATES: As posted earlier, we were unable to get the April date that we wanted for the 2016 Surratt Conference and were going to settle for the second weekend in March.

However, we grew increasingly worried about what winter weather might head our way that early in the month of March. A quick call to Colony South Hotel & Conference Center this morning got the date switched to the weekend of April 9-11, 2016.

Hopefully our beds of daffodils will be in bloom as well as DC's beloved cherry blossoms. If the Friday trip can be arranged into Maryland's Confederacy, redbuds and maybe some dogwoods might be in bloom also. And, we can let our picnic area handle any overflow with Friday night's reception.

Don't forget, mark April 9-11 on your calendar for next year's conference. Expect me to be dressed in black on the first day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2015, 03:24 PM
RE: 2016 Conference
I'll be wearing black on April 9th too, Laurie! Remember last year when you first gave me that idea?! If my family and I are able to make the Conference, you and I will be two Southerners in black.Smile
04-08-2015, 07:37 PM
April !!! Great move !! Maryland in April is awesome.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-28-2015, 02:34 PM
(04-01-2015 03:46 PM)L Verge Wrote:  CHANGE OF DATES: As posted earlier, we were unable to get the April date that we wanted for the 2016 Surratt Conference and were going to settle for the second weekend in March.

However, we grew increasingly worried about what winter weather might head our way that early in the month of March. A quick call to Colony South Hotel & Conference Center this morning got the date switched to the weekend of April 9-11, 2016.

Hopefully our beds of daffodils will be in bloom as well as DC's beloved cherry blossoms. If the Friday trip can be arranged into Maryland's Confederacy, redbuds and maybe some dogwoods might be in bloom also. And, we can let our picnic area handle any overflow with Friday night's reception.

Don't forget, mark April 9-11 on your calendar for next year's conference. Expect me to be dressed in black on the first day.

Laurie -

Are these dates still valid for the 2016 Conference? April 9 (your "dress in black" day) is a Saturday; not the usual Friday. I am just checking to be sure. Thanks.

Bill
09-28-2015, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 05:00 PM by Thomas Kearney.)
(04-01-2015 03:46 PM)L Verge Wrote:  CHANGE OF DATES: As posted earlier, we were unable to get the April date that we wanted for the 2016 Surratt Conference and were going to settle for the second weekend in March.

I'll be there! I'm excited already!

Quick FYI, they want $99 for a king room at Colony South

I can get a king bed at the Econo Lodge for $72 per night. Should I stay or should I go?

You know, Laurie, if you need an emcee for the event I fit the bill.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
09-28-2015, 05:01 PM
I just realized that I gave a wrong date! Yikes! The conference is April 8-10, 2016, Starts on Friday with the tour into Southern Maryland, reception at the museum on Friday night, sessions all day on Saturday, banquet and music that night, and trip to a fascinating area of Central Maryland on Sunday. Trips are priced separately and on first-come basis.

I have two more things to finalize, and then I will reveal all and also get conference packets in the mail to all Surratt members by November 15.
09-28-2015, 05:22 PM
(09-28-2015 05:01 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I just realized that I gave a wrong date! Yikes! The conference is April 8-10, 2016, Starts on Friday with the tour into Southern Maryland, reception at the museum on Friday night, sessions all day on Saturday, banquet and music that night, and trip to a fascinating area of Central Maryland on Sunday. Trips are priced separately and on first-come basis.

I have two more things to finalize, and then I will reveal all and also get conference packets in the mail to all Surratt members by November 15.

Kudos on an well executed "Yikes!"
09-28-2015, 05:33 PM
(09-28-2015 04:52 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  

I'll be there! I'm excited already!

Quick FYI, they want $99 for a king room at Colony South

I can get a king bed at the Econo Lodge for $72 per night. Should I stay or should I go?

You know, Laurie, if you need an emcee for the event I fit the bill.

The decision as to where to stay is strictly up to you and your wallet, Thomas. I would say that EconoLodge is about 8 minutes away and right outside the gates of Joint Base Andrews. We have had people on Booth Tours stay there and complain that the rooms are not clean and also that the fly boys rent rooms on Friday and Saturday nights to hold parties.

Colony South isn't always quiet either on Fridays and Saturdays because they have a very active bar. I have already cautioned the management to house our people as far away from that area as possible. The hotel also has an indoor pool, exercise room, walking trails, and its own restaurant. However, the price that they have quoted for us is $114/night (same as last year), but the spring months are their busiest ones, so the rates go up. It's known as standard business practice in this area. Did you get them to hold that price for you in April?

No emcee needed, but thanks. My staff and the executive board of the Surratt Society keep things running smoothly. The evening's entertainment does their own emceeing (if that's a word).
09-28-2015, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 06:03 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thomas, with regard to your wallet, I recommend to board 19th century style at the Colony South - look for folks to share room&bed with. The pool at hand is fantastic.
09-29-2015, 03:10 PM
I have to make it to the conference this year,by hook or by crook!
09-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Laurie, let me know if you need a band for this event. I'll put a group together and we'll call ourselves Johnny and the Assassins.

Just kidding!

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
09-29-2015, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 04:34 PM by Thomas Kearney.)
(09-28-2015 06:02 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Thomas, with regard to your wallet, I recommend to board 19th century style at the Colony South - look for folks to share room&bed with. The pool at hand is fantastic.

Thanks for the advice Eva! Here goes my want ad:

If anyone is willing to share a room with me for the Surratt Conference April 8-11 at the Colony South, contact me. I am willing to pay for a double room that can hold a max of 5 with breakfast included.

(09-29-2015 03:52 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  Laurie, let me know if you need a band for this event. I'll put a group together and we'll call ourselves Johnny and the Assassins.

Just kidding!

--Jim

Thats a great idea, I could sing lead.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
09-29-2015, 06:37 PM
(09-29-2015 03:52 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  Laurie, let me know if you need a band for this event. I'll put a group together and we'll call ourselves Johnny and the Assassins.

Just kidding!

--Jim

Maybe your band could take over the Decoy Lounge on Saturday night...! What do 'ya think, gang?
09-30-2015, 04:49 AM
No decoys in this group of people!
09-30-2015, 06:05 AM
Quote:I'll put a group together and we'll call ourselves Johnny and the Assassins.

Something like this, perhaps?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley