"A Lincoln what-if" by Harold Holzer
03-28-2015, 10:26 AM
"A Lincoln what-if" by Harold Holzer
http://www.washingtonpost.com/what-is-th...story.html

After reading Mr. Holzer's article I looked to see if I could find the entire letter from Bishop Chase. Here it is:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"State of New Hampshire, Claremont, March 16, 1865 -
To His Excellency, Abraham Lincoln -

'Honored Sir, I beg leave to express to you, the Chief Magistrate of our country, my earnest require and desire that if not inconsistent with your own views or with a decision already made, you will appoint Good Friday, the fourteenth day of April next, to be observed as a day of fasting and prayer throughout the United States. I have reason to believe that day would be agreeable to Christian people of all denominations. Having made this brief suggestion I beg to assure you of the high consideration with which I remain your Excellency's most obedient and trustful servant.

Cariton Chase, Bishop of the Diocese of New Hampshire."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2015, 11:43 AM
RE: "A Lincoln what-if" by Harold Holzer
And look at the dreadful act[assassination]that happened.Good Friday is supposed to bring out the best in us!
Find all posts by this user
03-29-2015, 05:59 AM
RE: "A Lincoln what-if" by Harold Holzer
I would say that Washington (and many other places) had celebrations ongoing concerning the end of the war. It probably didn't seem fit to Lincoln to invoke such as what the Bishop was advocating. His worst decision? I suppose so. It's another "what if" situations- and there are a multitude of them. Why was Lincoln assassinated?
Because everything necessary for the assassination to occur- did occur.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user