Vindicated of What?
03-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Vindicated of What?
I received this email from a publisher today about a new e-book of historical fiction and stretched my eyes when I saw the line "Surratt Society Vindicated..." Vindicated of what? I responded, but was told that they do not issue review copies and that the author was going to contact me directly since I had helped him. His name is familiar, but I'm not sure what I helped him with! Since the Surratt Society does not take a stand one way or the other as to Mrs. Surratt's guilt or innocence, I am really curious. Any one here do e-books? I refuse to consider those things until they destroy every good old book in the world!

PRESS RELEASE
John Wilkes Booth’s DNA Tested in Provocative New Novel that Explores Mystery behind Assassin's Death
[/color]Surratt Society Vindicated! Or are they…[color=#FF4500]?
March 16, 2015 – New York, NY – This spring look out for a frighteningly unique new book about presidential assassin, John Wilkes Booth.
On April 7, The Man In The Barn: Digging Up Lincoln's Killer, a modern fictional thriller by Nate Chura, will be available in all major e-bookstores, with an official release date set for the paperback edition on April 26 – the 150th anniversary of John Wilkes Booth’s death.
“I truly hope it sparks a national conversation about a multitude of things,” said Chura, when commenting on some of his book's more controversial themes, chiefly a century-and-a-half-old conspiracy theory about one of the most notorious assassins in history.

On April 14, 1865, John Wilkes Booth shot President Lincoln in the back of the head at Ford’s Theatre in Washington D.C. Afterwards, Booth jumped to the stage and shouted, “Sic semper tyrannis,” and miraculously managed to flee the capital on horseback with a broken leg. Twelve days later, Union forces surrounded the assassin and shot him dead at Richard Garrett’s barn in Virginia.

That's what the history books will tell you. But for over a century, others have argued that a political conspiracy reaching the highest levels of government perpetrated the greatest hoax ever played on the American public...and that Booth, who was working on behalf of Vice President Andrew Johnson, escaped.

In The Man in the Barn: Digging Up Lincoln’s Killer, an ambitious young journalist, Daniel Boland, believes he has discovered the true story behind those historic events. With the reluctant aid of his friend, Dr. Al Pearson, a disgraced former psychiatrist, Boland sets out to reveal a cover-up – past and present – of epic proportions. But in doing so, Boland and Pearson traverse a very dangerous path...and the closer they get to the truth, the more perilous their journey becomes.
"I've done my best to present both sides of the story in a compelling way," Chura said. "And by setting the narrative in the present day, I hope readers will better be able to grasp the complex details of the case and make their own decision about the fate of John Wilkes Booth."

Nate Chura is a New York writer and researcher. Chura’s subjects are varied, ranging from tennis to arts and culture, to local news. He has written for numerous media agencies, including NPR member station WNYC Radio and the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. The Man in the Barn: Digging Up Lincoln’s Killer is Chura’s first novel. It is the second part of a series by Chura about the Booths. The prequel to the novel is a full length play entitled The Ghost of Edwin Booth, performed at The Players Club (founded by Edwin Booth) in 2009, on the anniversary of Booth's 176th birthday.

THE MAN IN THE BARN
Digging Up Lincoln's Killer
By Nate Chura 221 pp.
New Memphis Press.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2015, 04:21 PM
RE: Vindicated of What?
I do e-books, at least for fiction and for nonfiction I don't intend to use as a reference source. I can enlarge the print on my Kindle, which is nice for my nearsighted eyes, and it saves bookshelf space in my small house. Might read this when it comes out.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-16-2015, 09:27 PM
This is only a novel and I should not get too excited but....

Once again a starving author gives a conspiracy crazed public what it wants in hopes of healthy remuneration.

I have always been intrigued by the idea espoused by this book of multi generational conspiracies. Instead of in this case just destroying all documentation showing it wasn't JWB who was killed at the Garret barn, the original conspirators loving bequeathed it to their successors in total confidence that they would in turn entrust the information to their successors inviolate and secret till the end of time.

Many years ago I read a book which claimed that the US government had rescued Czar Nicholas II and his family from execution by the Bolsheviks. I don't remember why the US government would do so, why it would it seek to cover up the information forever or think it could given peoples proclivity to gossip. The author was unduly impressed by the "fact" that a book called "Rescuing the Czar" was missing from the New York Public Library.

The author claimed he confronted and rebuked then Secretary of State Henry Kissinger for continuing the cover up. I don't believe any of this but you can imagine the dressing down Kissinger would have given his security people for permitting a nut to approach him.
Tom
03-17-2015, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2015 06:17 PM by L Verge.)
(03-16-2015 09:27 PM)Thomas Thorne Wrote:  This is only a novel and I should not get too excited but....

Once again a starving author gives a conspiracy crazed public what it wants in hopes of healthy remuneration.

I have always been intrigued by the idea espoused by this book of multi generational conspiracies. Instead of in this case just destroying all documentation showing it wasn't JWB who was killed at the Garret barn, the original conspirators loving bequeathed it to their successors in total confidence that they would in turn entrust the information to their successors inviolate and secret till the end of time.

Many years ago I read a book which claimed that the US government had rescued Czar Nicholas II and his family from execution by the Bolsheviks. I don't remember why the US government would do so, why it would it seek to cover up the information forever or think it could given peoples proclivity to gossip. The author was unduly impressed by the "fact" that a book called "Rescuing the Czar" was missing from the New York Public Library.

The author claimed he confronted and rebuked then Secretary of State Henry Kissinger for continuing the cover up. I don't believe any of this but you can imagine the dressing down Kissinger would have given his security people for permitting a nut to approach him.
Tom

All the various conspiracy theories on a variety of subjects are amazing, aren't they Tom? I remember years ago, while we Boothies were fighting back one or two of these, that Frank Hebblethwaite of the National Park Service at Ford's Theatre very seriously asked how anyone who had lived or worked around Washington, D.C. could ever believe that a secret could be kept for one minute - let alone a hundred years...
03-18-2015, 12:55 PM
A response from the author of The Man in the Barn:

Hey Laurie,

I heard you received the press release for The Man in The Barn. Just wanted to make sure you got a heads-up. I really hope you like it. I wrote it hoping it might some day become a nice companion novel for the Booth tour. Though it's controversial, as it is about the John Wilkes Booth escape theories, I hope you will find it to be a complete volume of the arguments in both directions, and so more easily be able to refute the points you disagree with.

The novel does contain references to fictional Surratt Society board members who do just that. Michael Kauffman, for instance, makes an appearance And the two main characters go on your Booth tour.

I warn you ahead of time, it is not for student readers, as it contains adult content. It was written more for modern entertainment, than historical non-fiction, but I did do my best to research the material as thoroughly as possible, and I hope you appreciate the effort.

Hope all's well and look forward to hearing your reactions!

Cheers,

N.
03-18-2015, 02:14 PM
(03-16-2015 02:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I received this email from a publisher today about a new e-book of historical fiction and stretched my eyes when I saw the line "Surratt Society Vindicated..." Vindicated of what? I responded, but was told that they do not issue review copies and that the author was going to contact me directly since I had helped him. His name is familiar, but I'm not sure what I helped him with! Since the Surratt Society does not take a stand one way or the other as to Mrs. Surratt's guilt or innocence, I am really curious. Any one here do e-books? I refuse to consider those things until they destroy every good old book in the world!

PRESS RELEASE
John Wilkes Booth’s DNA Tested in Provocative New Novel that Explores Mystery behind Assassin's Death
March 16, 2015 – New York, NY – This spring look out for a frighteningly unique new book about presidential assassin, John Wilkes Booth.
On April 7, The Man In The Barn: Digging Up Lincoln's Killer, a modern fictional thriller by Nate Chura, will be available in all major e-bookstores, with an official release date set for the paperback edition on April 26 – the 150th anniversary of John Wilkes Booth’s death.
“I truly hope it sparks a national conversation about a multitude of things,” said Chura, when commenting on some of his book's more controversial themes, chiefly a century-and-a-half-old conspiracy theory about one of the most notorious assassins in history.

On April 14, 1865, John Wilkes Booth shot President Lincoln in the back of the head at Ford’s Theatre in Washington D.C. Afterwards, Booth jumped to the stage and shouted, “Sic semper tyrannis,” and miraculously managed to flee the capital on horseback with a broken leg. Twelve days later, Union forces surrounded the assassin and shot him dead at Richard Garrett’s barn in Virginia.

That's what the history books will tell you. But for over a century, others have argued that a political conspiracy reaching the highest levels of government perpetrated the greatest hoax ever played on the American public...and that Booth, who was working on behalf of Vice President Andrew Johnson, escaped.

In The Man in the Barn: Digging Up Lincoln’s Killer, an ambitious young journalist, Daniel Boland, believes he has discovered the true story behind those historic events. With the reluctant aid of his friend, Dr. Al Pearson, a disgraced former psychiatrist, Boland sets out to reveal a cover-up – past and present – of epic proportions. But in doing so, Boland and Pearson traverse a very dangerous path...and the closer they get to the truth, the more perilous their journey becomes.
"I've done my best to present both sides of the story in a compelling way," Chura said. "And by setting the narrative in the present day, I hope readers will better be able to grasp the complex details of the case and make their own decision about the fate of John Wilkes Booth."

Nate Chura is a New York writer and researcher. Chura’s subjects are varied, ranging from tennis to arts and culture, to local news. He has written for numerous media agencies, including NPR member station WNYC Radio and the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. The Man in the Barn: Digging Up Lincoln’s Killer is Chura’s first novel. It is the second part of a series by Chura about the Booths. The prequel to the novel is a full length play entitled The Ghost of Edwin Booth, performed at The Players Club (founded by Edwin Booth) in 2009, on the anniversary of Booth's 176th birthday.

THE MAN IN THE BARN
By Nate Chura 221 pp.
New Memphis Press.
Laurie, Very interesting thought about e-books. Yesterday I was talking to a client who happens to be a writer. She has just had her third book published and asked me what I thought about e-books. The reason for this question was because two of her books were e-books. I told her that I did not think I could read that way because I like the feel of the book in my hands. Both paperback and hard back. Only one man's opinion.
03-18-2015, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 02:36 PM by BettyO.)
Quote:Yesterday I was talking to a client who happens to be a writer. She has just had her third book published and asked me what I thought about e-books. The reason for this question was because two of her books were e-books. I told her that I did not think I could read that way because I like the feel of the book in my hands. Both paperback and hard back. Only one man's opinion.

Interesting answer. Although I'm a bonafide geek, (I love ALL things with electronic screens) and have my share of "ebooks" - I, too am old fashioned enough to love the feel of a real book in my hands.

# 1 - "Real" books don't run out of batteries/juice....

# 2 - They are easy to read in sunlight on a sunny day!

However - I love the space which ebooks provide in one's library! Still, nothing like the look, feel and yes, even the smell (old leather-bound books) of the Real McCoy! Plus, they don't "crash" (unless dropped to the floor!) and you can't loose them by having them "disappear" into space!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-20-2015, 02:38 AM
While I think that the feel and smell of a real book is one of the most beautiful things ever, I have to admit that I use ebooks from time to time. First, they are awesome when traveling. I don't have to make the tough decision anymore, which favorite to bring and which to leave behind.

And also, I found that the possibility to add notes or search the content makes it very easy to navigate things like...history books. I tend to forget where I have read a certain things and the ebooks allow for easy tagging and searching.
They are practical but not beautiful.

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
03-20-2015, 04:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 04:40 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(03-18-2015 02:35 PM)BettyO Wrote:  
Quote:Yesterday I was talking to a client who happens to be a writer. She has just had her third book published and asked me what I thought about e-books. The reason for this question was because two of her books were e-books. I told her that I did not think I could read that way because I like the feel of the book in my hands. Both paperback and hard back. Only one man's opinion.

Interesting answer. Although I'm a bonafide geek, (I love ALL things with electronic screens) and have my share of "ebooks" - I, too am old fashioned enough to love the feel of a real book in my hands.

# 1 - "Real" books don't run out of batteries/juice....

# 2 - They are easy to read in sunlight on a sunny day!

However - I love the space which ebooks provide in one's library! Still, nothing like the look, feel and yes, even the smell (old leather-bound books) of the Real McCoy! Plus, they don't "crash" (unless dropped to the floor!) and you can't loose them by having them "disappear" into space!!
I think I've mentioned these points before - I could perhaps read a novel (rarely do) in e-format (never done), but never a book I want to learn from. Would feel like wasted time to me, it wouldn't satisfy me. I need to highlight and make pencil notes, to know that when I re-read or search for something later, I will easily remember and "re-"find key passages/words. It is the same with writing, anything I write by hand I memorize better than via typing. And one argument in line with Betty's - you can read real books in the sauna (too boring just sitting around), I don't know how e-books put up with 195℉...
03-20-2015, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 05:33 AM by Gene C.)
I prefer a paper book over an ebook.
Some of the older titles are hard to find, or too expensive to own. I can tolerate the ebook then.

P.S. Glad to hear the Surratt Society has been vindicated.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Oh dear ... I wonder what Dr. Hall would have to say about this confabulation. He'd probably have a chuckle. Not me. Oh, dear ...

(03-16-2015 02:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I received this email from a publisher today about a new e-book of historical fiction and stretched my eyes when I saw the line "Surratt Society Vindicated..." Vindicated of what? I responded, but was told that they do not issue review copies and that the author was going to contact me directly since I had helped him. His name is familiar, but I'm not sure what I helped him with! Since the Surratt Society does not take a stand one way or the other as to Mrs. Surratt's guilt or innocence, I am really curious. Any one here do e-books? I refuse to consider those things until they destroy every good old book in the world!

PRESS RELEASE

THE MAN IN THE BARN
By Nate Chura 221 pp.
New Memphis Press.
03-22-2015, 04:11 PM
The Surratt Society doesn't need any vindication for anything!