Snowed in!
02-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Snowed in!
Detroit got hit hard- third largest snowfall ever. Just want to say to all Forum members be careful out there- don't over exert yourself. Have a safe and happy day!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2015, 08:37 AM
RE: Snowed in!
Rochester,NY got hit hard also-18inches of snow,but it is Winter!
Find all posts by this user
02-03-2015, 09:09 AM
It seems like the Weather Channel is ignoring you folks. Vicki and I have watched it on and off for the past few days, and they seem to concentrate mostly on Chicago and Boston. I may have missed it, but I do not recall either Detroit or Rochester even getting a mention!
02-03-2015, 09:57 AM
We got dumped on for sure. All the area schools and many offices are closed again today. So far eight or nine people have died because of the storm. We just all need to be careful.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2015, 09:58 AM
We only get a mention after,Buffalo,Syracuse[Upstate ink]New York City[down state national ink] get's theirs! That's ok with me.Be careful for what you wish for!
03-12-2015, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 06:35 PM by HerbS.)
The snow pack is melting,now we have"black ice"and mud! The days are warming up,and the nights are colder.So we have ice in the mornings,and flood warnings for the days ahead.Non-stop,no winners here.Spring is 8 days away by the big C,maybe Summer will come this July.Can you spell Tundra?
03-13-2015, 07:04 PM
We had the black ice and mud about ten days ago - and traffic accidents by the hundreds all around the D.C. area. Temperatures have been in the 50s and low 60s for this week, however. Most of the snow is gone, even from parking lots, and I had a wonderful surprise yesterday as I climbed my back steps and looked down. There were three separate clumps of daffodil fronds peeking up about four inches to make sure that there were no snowflakes headed their way. I'm praying just as hard as they are that winter is over.

I don't remember any winter irritating me as much as this one has. How you folks in the northern hinterlands survive year after year is amazing to me.
03-14-2015, 12:04 AM
Oh God. As irritating as I must sound, I would give almost anything to trade places with those of you experiencing colder weather right now! It was 90 degrees today and it's still so hot tonight I know I will get very little real sleep.

Tomorrow and Sunday it will be close to 100 degrees here in Southern California.Confused
03-14-2015, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2015 07:09 AM by HerbS.)
It is all realitive,isn't it!Laurie,I think that DC.had a tough time of it.
03-14-2015, 11:07 AM
For the past few days, we have had temperatures in the upper sixties to around seventy here in Des Moines, IA. Believe me when I say that I have absolutely nothing to complain about weatherwise for this time of year.
03-14-2015, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2015 01:14 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(03-14-2015 12:04 AM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Oh God. As irritating as I must sound, I would give almost anything to trade places with those of you experiencing colder weather right now! It was 90 degrees today and it's still so hot tonight I know I will get very little real sleep.

Tomorrow and Sunday it will be close to 100 degrees here in Southern California.Confused
...while I would give almost anything for your 100 ℉!!! However, I cannot complain (regarding I live the farthest north I believe - at 54°19'N). Usually we have lots of snow and ice from Mid-November till the beginning of April, this year almost zero - thanks to to the several "No-Polar-Vortex-and-early-spring-in-Germany" trivia prizes Roger awarded me!!! These were in full blossom about a week ago, and last Sunday blessed us with 68℉ - unfortunately so far a one-day-wonder (Monday was back to 50 again...):

03-14-2015, 01:16 PM
I talked with a Surratt Society member yesterday who will be coming from Minnesota for our conference next week. He told me that his hometown had one of the mildest winters on record and that D.C. sounded in worse shape. We seldom have sub-zero temperatures at night, let alone daytime - but we had quite a few just in the last month or so. Wind chills were awful. I'm as far north as I'm ever going to live!
03-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Eva, those photos are beautiful! I am happy to know my trivia prizes worked for you!
03-14-2015, 06:18 PM
If there's a prize "a summer as sunny and hot as the last one" (with 100 ℉ on several days) in the prize vault I will work hard on winning this one, too...
03-14-2015, 09:52 PM
I shall be delighted to turn over any 100-degree days that I might win as prizes, Eva.

I am very picky in my old age; I prefer temperatures to stay between 40 and 80 year-round, with only light breezes, minimal rain, and no ice nor snow. Just enough climate change to support four superb changing of the seasons. Crocus, daffodils, and lilacs in the spring; roses, daylilies, and magnolias in the summer; colorful leaves and chrysanthemums in the fall, I don't think I'm asking for too much!

And yes, I know I skipped winter because I can't think of a thing that I enjoy about that season...