James O. Hall Research Center
01-31-2015, 01:42 PM
James O. Hall Research Center
I am sad to announce that Surratt House Museum and its James O. Hall Research Center is without our librarian at the present time. Some of you have dealt with Sandra Walia over the past ten years, and we have received nothing but praise about her professionalism and kindness.

Sandra was just what we needed at our library. She had retired from our county's school system as a librarian, holds a Master's degree in Library Sciences, and is an avid Lincoln collector and very knowledgeable on the assassination. She had served for years as a docent at the museum.

She has now decided to have a personal life for awhile! Other staff members will be filling the gap of working with researchers both on-site and from afar until we can go through the process of advertising, hiring, and initiating a new employee. In a government agency (and we are owned by one), that process can take eons, so please bear with us.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2015, 02:15 PM
RE: James O. Hall Research Center
Good help is hard to find, but if she was able to work with you, I'm sure it was a fun and rewarding experience.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Laurie,

I have a couple of requests for materials to use as reference on an article I am working on. Who would you recommend I send the request to now that Sandra has moved on?

I understand there may be some delay in getting the materials and that is no big deal. I know how it goes when trying to fill a staff position - everyone else has to pick up work while still trying to get their own done!
01-31-2015, 02:53 PM
That's a shame. She was a lovely lady and very helpful.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-31-2015, 03:00 PM
(01-31-2015 02:47 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Laurie,

I have a couple of requests for materials to use as reference on an article I am working on. Who would you recommend I send the request to now that Sandra has moved on?

I understand there may be some delay in getting the materials and that is no big deal. I know how it goes when trying to fill a staff position - everyone else has to pick up work while still trying to get their own done!

Send requests to me via email at laurie.verge@pgparks.com or 9118 Brandywine Road, Clinton, MD 20735. I will assign them to staff that have time and are proficient in a certain area.
01-31-2015, 03:04 PM
(01-31-2015 03:00 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(01-31-2015 02:47 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Laurie,

Send requests to me via email at laurie.verge@pgparks.com or 9118 Brandywine Road, Clinton, MD 20735. I will assign them to staff that have time and are proficient in a certain area.

Thanks Laurie!

Sandra will surely be missed. She was always so helpful and kind on my visits and with my other requests for materials.
01-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Sandra was a wonderful person!
01-31-2015, 10:12 PM
Could we do something to honor/recognize Sandra at this year's conference?
01-31-2015, 10:17 PM
(01-31-2015 10:12 PM)Tom Bogar Wrote:  Could we do something to honor/recognize Sandra at this year's conference?

Excellent idea! She is a very shy and retiring person and will probably fuss at us, but I'll get working on it. I would think it very appropriate if the presentation be made by the researchers whom she has helped who are attending the conference.
02-01-2015, 06:30 PM
(01-31-2015 10:17 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(01-31-2015 10:12 PM)Tom Bogar Wrote:  Could we do something to honor/recognize Sandra at this year's conference?

Excellent idea! She is a very shy and retiring person and will probably fuss at us, but I'll get working on it. I would think it very appropriate if the presentation be made by the researchers whom she has helped who are attending the conference.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can. Please keep me posted. We all owe her a lot.
02-01-2015, 07:11 PM
I agree! I'd love to help - let me know if I can help, Laurie,...

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-01-2015, 08:01 PM
I already have a few ideas for a unique presentation piece and certificate. I think what would please Sandra the most is to have every researcher in attendance that she has helped over the years come forth to present them. This would best be done at the very beginning of the conference when the president welcomes everyone and introduces the executive board and the museum staff.

Since Tom suggested the idea, he could be the spokesman for the group while you all encircle him and then all shake her hand, hug, whisper sweet nothings in her ear, whatever... If that sounds doable, please form an email committee amongst yourselves to compose a proper tribute (remembering that military-raised me and the Velvet Hammer maintain strict timing during the conference).
02-02-2015, 02:40 PM
(02-01-2015 08:01 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I already have a few ideas for a unique presentation piece and certificate. I think what would please Sandra the most is to have every researcher in attendance that she has helped over the years come forth to present them. This would best be done at the very beginning of the conference when the president welcomes everyone and introduces the executive board and the museum staff.

Since Tom suggested the idea, he could be the spokesman for the group while you all encircle him and then all shake her hand, hug, whisper sweet nothings in her ear, whatever... If that sounds doable, please form an email committee amongst yourselves to compose a proper tribute (remembering that military-raised me and the Velvet Hammer maintain strict timing during the conference).

I would be happy to coordinate. Anyone who wishes to join us on the esteemed dais on the morning of March 21 in recognizing Sandra's dedication and help to us over the years may email me at bogartom@comcast.net. I'll then do my best between now and March 21 to keep everyone apprised. (I already have Rich Smyth and Jim Garrett on board.)
Tom