New Novel - The Open Doorway
01-25-2015, 07:37 AM
New Novel - The Open Doorway
This thread introduces my novel, The Open Doorway - a tale of time travel set against the background of the Civil War and the Lincoln Assassination. Two years in the research and writing, it's 440 pages long.

Writing is something I've done for many years, though mostly in the form of short stories and articles which I've had published in the UK. I'm also a graphic artist and have designed book covers for other writers. Therefore, it was easy for me to produce my own cover art work for my book.

I had an immense amount of help, advice and guidance from my dear friend, Betty Ownsbey, who's been kind enough to share all her vast knowledge of this era, and the life of Lewis Powell. Barry Cauchon and John Elliot were also kind enough to share information with me regarding the final days of the conspirators and the layout and details of the Old Arsenal Penitentiary.

Too, this forum gave me many insights into all matters Civil War, and I'm forever grateful to all those who share information and ideas on here.

It has to be said that The Open Doorway has a mystical theme, involving time travel and Shawnee mythology, and it also has adult themes. While it is basically an historical fantasy romance novel, it's also very gritty and hard hitting in parts, and, though I did my best to adhere to the historical facts, I did take some liberties for the sake of artistic licence.

Here is the synopsis.

Time travel hurts. You don't need machines or black holes or event horizons - just Shawnee magic, an electrical storm, and a dose of good old fashioned agony. It’s the summer of 2015, as British dancer, Leigh Boswell, flees her abusive husband, Daniel, on a vacation trip to Gettysburg, USA. If the creepy child she meets at the Devil’s Den isn’t enough to freak her out, the storm the girl summons blasts Leigh into the aftermath of one of America’s bloodiest battles on 3rd July 1863. Sick and disorientated, she’s helped by a young confederate soldier, Lewis Thornton Powell, whose simple act of compassion has repercussions across two centuries.

In the Federal field hospitals of Old Dorm and Camp Letterman, and the notorious West's Building Prison Hospital in Baltimore, Leigh is taken under the wing of confederate sympathiser, Maggie Branson, and endures the horrors of Civil War nursing as she struggles to adapt in an alien world. Fate and circumstance take her deep into the Virginian countryside where she’s adopted by Daniel's ancestors; the Chandlers, and meets once more with the enigmatic Powell, with whom she seems unable to escape a mutual destiny. Tormented by her knowledge of the future, Leigh is driven to the sprawling metropolis of Washington DC in a desperate bid to alter fate and change history; but as her nightmare unfolds, she finally uncovers the terrible truth about the man she loves. The Open Doorway is a novel of struggle in adversity, timeless love, and karmic absolution. It pits the past against the future where for everything given in life, a price must be paid; and for everything taken, something wonderful is offered in return.

In the blog, you'll see cover artwork, excerpts from the book, and how the book came about.

Read the book Blog here: http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Purchase book here: http://www.amazon.com/Open-Doorway-Madel...1494966670

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2015, 09:43 AM
RE: New Novel - The Open Doorway
Congratulations, Maddie! That's wonderful.
01-25-2015, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 10:14 AM by BettyO.)
I'm ordering a copy, Maddie! Sounds like a really fun read. I collect ALL things assassination - thanks so much for posting!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Congratulations and good success, Maddie! Again I'm amazed as for how many forum members are authors and what different, new and creative subject-related topics they (still, after several thousands of published books) come up with. Kudos!
01-25-2015, 12:28 PM
I agree with Eva, Maddie - congratulations once again!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Congratulations Maddie. Sounds like a wonderful book. Can't wait to read it.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
01-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Love the synopsis, and the subject matter sounds like a great read. Congratulations and best wishes for strong sales and good reviews.
01-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Congratulations! Looks like a great read.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Maddie -

Is the book only available in Kindle or is it also in paperback?

01-25-2015, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 06:19 PM by Gene C.)
Congratulations. Your book blog indicates you have put in a lot of effort on your book, which looks very interesting.
I hope your heroine doesn't meet Andrew Basiago at Gettysburg.

(Mr. Basiago claims to have time traveled to Gettysburg when a young boy as part of a government experiment.)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-26-2015, 10:24 AM
(01-25-2015 05:28 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Maddie -

Is the book only available in Kindle or is it also in paperback?

Thank you all for your very kind and positive posts.

Yes, it is now available in paperback.

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Doorway-Madel...1494966670

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/