First to own a black slave for life
01-16-2015, 05:41 PM
First to own a black slave for life
In the past week, I have read this account in two separate sources - and never remember hearing it before (even in my Black History courses - probably because of political correctness?)

The first man to own a black slave for life in the colonies was Anthony Johnson, who came to the New World as an indentured servant at Jamestown. He bought his and his wife's way out of servitude and purchased a black slave to work on his Virginia plantation.

When his slave claimed that he was an indentured servant and able to buy his way to freedom, Johnson took it to the courts for a decision. The colonial courts agreed with Johnson, declaring that the man would remain a slave for life.

Anthony Johnson, the first man in North America to own a black slave for life, was a black man himself.

Does anyone else have information on this case?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2015, 06:50 PM
RE: First to own a black slave for life
Quick search on wiki

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_J...olonist%29

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
01-16-2015, 08:00 PM
(01-16-2015 06:50 PM)brtmchl Wrote:  Quick search on wiki

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_J...olonist%29

Thanks, Mike. I also feel a touch of senility after reading the Wiki post. Ira Berlin is cited as a source for the Johnson history. I have read parts of his book and also have heard him speak; but I don't remember seeing or hearing about Anthony Johnson.
01-16-2015, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 08:45 PM by brtmchl.)
I remember hearing about this recently also. Not in as much detail as you wrote. It was kind of in passing, at the tail end of the discussion. Maybe on the radio. But I never remembered hearing it in school. It would have definitly stuck with me. But maybe that was the point.

Another part of History that I never learned about in the classroom but have been hearing about lately is the Irish slave trade in " The New World. "

Example:
http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/histor...93261.html

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
01-17-2015, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 11:28 AM by HerbS.)
I learned that years ago in my African American History Course at Cornell Univ[1969]."Before the Mayflower"by Lerone Benett Jr-early edition.Very eye-opening indeed!
01-18-2015, 09:28 AM
A production company had started a documentary for PBS on slavery. When they researched the origins of slavery in American and they discovered the story of Anthony Johnson, they cancelled the project because the truth did not fit the narrative they wanted.
01-18-2015, 09:44 AM
Never heard this story. I also noticed the reference to the "Arab slave traders"- we don't ever hear that talked about.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-18-2015, 09:50 AM
My question is-What is the difference between an indentured servant and slave? To me they are the same!The sad fact is that he was on a prosperous Tobacco plantatation,and not on a stereo typical-Cotton plantation! I feel that no human should own another human!
01-18-2015, 09:57 AM
One of my ancestors came to America from England as an indentured servant. It sounds like it was a contract, more or less, for servitude that was time limited- for a price. My ancestor agreed to it as a way for passage to the New World. He fulfilled the agreement in four years- and learned the tanning trade. This was in the year 1749. This kind of arrangement is far different than that of being a slave.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-18-2015, 11:16 AM
I have recently read a book by Edmund S. Morgan entitled AMERICAN SLAVERY, AMERICAN FREEDOM: THE ORDEAL OF COLONIAL VIRGINIA which gives a good explanation of the difference between a slave an indentured servant. It also explains how Virginia came to accept the concept of slavery as a system of labor.
01-18-2015, 11:18 AM
(01-18-2015 09:50 AM)HerbS Wrote:  My question is-What is the difference between an indentured servant and slave? To me they are the same!
Herb, there is a difference, indentured servants signed themselves into this form of "service":
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servant
01-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Maybe-Johnson thought that the indentured servant "route"was the"way to go"!Thanks-Eva!
01-18-2015, 12:21 PM
Not sure, but I believe an indentured servant could have been classified as felons doing time. Regardles of the wording. They were often treated just as horribly depending on their "Master." I have come to believe it is a more softer word for slavery. The PC movement of the 18th and 19th century.

01-18-2015, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 12:40 PM by HerbS.)
Thanks-brtmchl-That helps explain why Johnson did what he had to do to get to Virgina!Desperate times call for desparate measures! I might have done the same thing to survive!
01-18-2015, 02:10 PM
(01-18-2015 09:28 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  A production company had started a documentary for PBS on slavery. When they researched the origins of slavery in American and they discovered the story of Anthony Johnson, they cancelled the project because the truth did not fit the narrative they wanted.

Another example of political correctness destroying the facts of history?