The uniqueness of Lincoln's beard
08-11-2012, 02:02 PM
The uniqueness of Lincoln's beard
As we all know, Lincoln only sported a beard the last four or so years of his life (as it turned out). Did you ever wonder why he chose the style he did? In particular, why did he not have a mustache to go along with it? As I look at photographs and prints of men from that era I don't see those like the one Lincoln had. it was a matter of personal taste I'm sure-or was it?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 11:56 AM
RE: The uniqueness of Lincoln's beard
(08-11-2012 02:02 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  As we all know, Lincoln only sported a beard the last four or so years of his life (as it turned out). Did you ever wonder why he chose the style he did? In particular, why did he not have a mustache to go along with it? As I look at photographs and prints of men from that era I don't see those like the one Lincoln had. it was a matter of personal taste I'm sure-or was it?

Bill,
You probably know this, but there was a young girl named Grace Bedell from New York who wrote a letter to Lincoln telling him that he would look better with a beard. I believe that he actually met her at one of his campaign stops. I'll bet you that Mary had something to do with the way Lincoln grew his beard.

Craig
Find all posts by this user
08-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Craig: yes, I do know about Miss Bedell and her statement to Lincoln. In fact, the letter she wrote to Lincoln is key in the Burton Library in Detroit. Hmm...yes, I can see Mary offering her input about the beard. Maybe it itched her face when he kissed her!

Bill Nash
08-13-2012, 06:19 PM
(08-12-2012 12:30 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Craig: yes, I do know about Miss Bedell and her statement to Lincoln. In fact, the letter she wrote to Lincoln is key in the Burton Library in Detroit. Hmm...yes, I can see Mary offering her input about the beard. Maybe it itched her face when he kissed her!

Bill

I'll bet soWink

Craig
08-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I meant to say that the letter is "kept" in the Burton Library in Detroit. Somehow the letter has a Michigan connection but I don't remember what it is.

Bill Nash
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
As a Lincoln Presenter, beside having questions about "why the beard", a often get this question, "Why doesn't Mr. Lincoln have a mustache?"

Robert Brugler

08-22-2012, 04:54 PM
I am not that well-versed on men's facial hair of the Civil War era; but off the top of my head, I am tempted to say that it was an either/or period in male fashion. One had either no facial hair, or simply a mustache, or simply a beard. Not a combination of beard and mustache.

I know that the Imperial was in vogue, but it was mainly mustache with a well-shaped goatee on the chin.
08-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Rbrugler: I'm glad to hear you report that. I was beginning to think the question was just me!

Bill Nash
09-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Now that I think about-Lincoln was the only president to even have a beard at all? Wait a minute-did Grant sport a beard while in office? Are there others?

Bill Nash
09-16-2012, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2012 11:46 AM by L Verge.)
I knew that Grant had a mustache and beard, but your interesting question sent me to Google. It would appear that the Presidents during the late-Victorian and Edwardian eras were the ones who favored facial hair.

The earliest facial hair is attributed to Martin Van Buren with his mutton-chops.
Lincoln is next, followed by Grant with beard and mustache.
Hayes also sported a beard and mustache as did Garfield and Benjamin Harrison.
Arthur had no beard, but did have a mustache and sideburns; and Cleveland and Taft both had mustaches as did Teddy Roosevelt.

I even found reference to Truman sporting a goatee once while on vacation.
09-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Laurie: so it sounds safe to say that after TR- no other presidents had the facial hair. Many men nowadays wear facial hair. Yet, no president in the last 100+ years has done so. So it can't merely be fashion dictating this long-running trend-is it? By the way, I think Truman probably looked good with a goatee.

Bill Nash
09-16-2012, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2012 04:39 PM by Joe Di Cola.)
(09-16-2012 12:00 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Laurie: so it sounds safe to say that after TR- no other presidents had the facial hair. Many men nowadays wear facial hair. Yet, no president in the last 100+ years has done so. So it can't merely be fashion dictating this long-running trend-is it? By the way, I think Truman probably looked good with a goatee.

One more after TR--William Howard Taft--after that, no more facial hair.

(09-16-2012 04:34 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(09-16-2012 12:00 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Laurie: so it sounds safe to say that after TR- no other presidents had the facial hair. Many men nowadays wear facial hair. Yet, no president in the last 100+ years has done so. So it can't merely be fashion dictating this long-running trend-is it? By the way, I think Truman probably looked good with a goatee.

Oops, I should have read Laurie's post--she mentioned Taft. Sorry!

Did anyone mention Grover Cleveland--mustache for both terms

Did anyone mention Grover Cleveland--mustache for both terms

Just for fun, does Nixon's five o'clock shadow count? I'll go sit in the corner now!
09-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Grace Bedell from Westfield,NY wrote the letter to Lincoln suggesting a beard.Grace wrote another letter Lincoln,because her family fell on hard times and they moved to Albion,NY.Grace asked for a job in her letter.This letter never got to Lincoln!
09-16-2012, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2012 05:17 PM by RJNorton.)
Herb, thank you for mentioning that second letter! The person who discovered it is Karen Needles. Karen is a member here, and her username is father_abraham.

The story of Karen's discovery is here.
09-16-2012, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2012 05:38 PM by L Verge.)
Karen is doing some great work in the Archives and is very enthusiastic about sharing it. I met her through the Lincoln Group of D.C. shortly before my mobility issues stopped me from attending meetings. I hope we'll hear a lot from Karen over the course of time.

The topic of facial hair on our Presidents made me think that I might have missed John Quincy Adams. For some reason, I thought the dour photograph that one usually sees of him had sideburns that would qualify. I looked him up, and I think they put him in the hairy category - not to the extent of Gen. Burnside, but pretty good.