Crowns of Thorns and Glory
12-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Crowns of Thorns and Glory
I found Crowns of Thorns and Glory, Mary Todd Lincoln and Varina Davis: The Two First Ladies of the Civil War by Gerry Van der Heuvel at our local library sale yesterday. Has anyone read it? I'm interested in the part about Varina Davis in particular, as I haven't seen much written about her as opposed to Mary. (Incidentally, Mary was well represented at the library sale with Ruth Rendall's book about her and her collected letters--I was volunteering and tried to keep them in a prominent position so someone would grab them.)

Also picked up Matthew Brady and His World by the Kunhardts, which is a lovely book (it includes a photograph of Mrs. Stephen Douglas which is a lot more attractive than the photograph commonly used in books), and another by Candace Fleming called The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2014, 12:54 PM
RE: Crowns of Thorns and Glory
I will be receiving "Crowns of Thorns and Glory" for Christmas. Look forward to your book review.
Sounds like you have good library sales.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
12-14-2014, 10:18 AM
It's interesting and well-written, I believe you will like it. Toia and Laurie also posted about it here:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...s#pid32908
12-14-2014, 10:22 AM
(12-14-2014 10:18 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  It's interesting and well-written, I believe you will like it. Toia and Laurie also posted about it here:

Thanks! Looking forward to reading it.
12-14-2014, 12:34 PM
(12-14-2014 10:22 AM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  
(12-14-2014 10:18 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  It's interesting and well-written, I believe you will like it. Toia and Laurie also posted about it here:

Thanks! Looking forward to reading it.

I read it many years ago and would enjoy reading it over again.
12-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Agreed! I too read it many years ago - it's an excellent book....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-24-2014, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2014 01:41 AM by LincolnToddFan.)
It was a very well written dual biography. I knew nothing about Varina Howell, but that book ignited a fascination with Mrs. Jefferson Davis that persists to this day. The parallels in the lives of Mrs. Davis and Mrs.Lincoln are simply astonishing-yet they never met.

The author was a former press secretary to former first lady Pat Nixon. I wanted to write to her about the book and tell her much I enjoyed it, but I was saddened to learn that she has passed away.

Susan-
I purchased Candace Flemings "The Lincolns" Abe and Mary scrapbook a couple of years ago. It's right here on my coffee table. It's a lovely tribute to the Lincolns but it does contain a couple of factual errors that made me wonder how well it was researched. Still it's worthwhile to have it if you are interested in anything pertaining to the marriage and personal lives of the Lincolns...as everyone here knows I am!
12-27-2014, 11:54 PM
Finished Crowns of Thorns and Glory tonight! Excellent book. The only complaint I had was that the author spent little time on the ladies' early lives, which wasn't a problem where MTL was concerned but was as far as Varina Davis was concerned, as I knew next to nothing about her.
03-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Just thought I'd share this:
http://www.wornthrough.com/2013/01/03/fr...otographs/
(I put it here as it was in this book that I first read about the capture in the dress respectively in Davis' wife's raincoat.)
03-23-2015, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2015 12:28 PM by Gene C.)
Just finished reading this book, and I agree with all previous comments. Well written, full of interesting information about the difficulties and challenges these two ladies faced and endured as first ladies, and then following the end of the war. I found their experiences after the war to be the most interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Crowns-Thorns-Glor...+and+glory

The book is well worth reading and a nice used copy is very affordable.
(I was able to get my copy in good condition for only $.01 plus s & h)

05-03-2015, 08:05 AM
I was surprised to see the least expensive used copy on Amazon (in good condition) is currently selling for $19.85.

It is interesting to see how much the price for new and used books fluctuate. Certainly shows it is worth the effort to be patient, but I have missed a few bargains too. It also helps to have an understanding spouse., or at least one who pretends to understand. I have about 15 books (some bargains) still waiting to be read, but there is always room for a few more.

05-03-2015, 08:36 AM
(05-03-2015 08:05 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I was surprised to see the least expensive used copy on Amazon (in good condition) is currently selling for $19.85.

It is interesting to see how much the price for new and used books fluctuate. Certainly shows it is worth the effort to be patient, but I have missed a few bargains too. It also helps to have an understanding spouse., or at least one who pretends to understand. I have about 15 books (some bargains) still waiting to be read, but there is always room for a few more.

Of course there is! I tell my husband that he could have married one of those high-maintenance ladies with 200 pairs of shoes instead of one who has three bookshelves in the kitchen.

I've been culling some of my nonessential books in preparation for moving next year, but my definition of nonessential is rather narrow.
05-03-2015, 10:16 AM
(03-06-2015 06:21 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Just thought I'd share this:
(I put it here as it was in this book that I first read about the capture in the dress respectively in Davis' wife's raincoat.)

The reply to the article was fascinating.Sleepy
05-03-2015, 11:00 AM
(05-03-2015 10:16 AM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 06:21 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Just thought I'd share this:

The reply to the article was fascinating.Sleepy

Agreed about the reply. I thought that the lore about the Confederate president escaping in female garb had been reduced to just the cloak and shawl. I have started reading Capital Dames by Cokie Roberts (whom I am trying to trap into speaking at the Surratt Society's fall banquet) in order to prepare for my next round with Decapitating the Union - sorry, John, but your book is requiring me to think; and that is sometimes difficult with my advanced age...

Back to Cokie and her Dames, I love the book, and it is rich with quotes from letters, diaries, newspapers, etc. of the period (1848-1868). Varina Davis is covered quite a bit, and I did not realize that she practically grew up in the Blair household due to her great friendship with Elizabeth Blair Lee. I hope that mention is made of her husband's flight and what he wore.

Personally, I have always been amused that Lincoln snuck into Washington in disguise, and Jefferson Davis tried making it out of the country in disguise.