"The Death of Booth"
09-24-2014, 03:26 PM
"The Death of Booth"
                            From the scrap book, and the article has a cut an paste date of 1898 on it. "Baltimore Special to Pittsburg Dispatch" This is an interview with Rev. Dr. R.B Garrett of Austin, Texas, son of Richard Garrett, both of whom were present at Booth's death.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2014, 08:48 PM
RE: "The Death of Booth"
Interesting article. I notice that he states that Booth was not shouldering his carbine when he was shot by Corbett. However, he also states that Corbett died in a Kansas Insane asylum which is false.
10-01-2014, 12:57 PM
    Speaking of Boston - from the scrapbook, cut and paste insert, no date or byline. 1880-1900, probably.
10-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Corbett disappeared in 1888 after escaping from the asylum in Topeka. He jumped on a pony and headed for Neodesha Kansas where he met up with an old soldier friend of his named Richard Thatcher. He then disappeared into history and nobody has yet determined how he met his fate. I have searched for the last few years but have come up with nothing conclusive. There is a possibility that he died in the devastating Hinckley Minnesota fire of 1894, but this is speculation.

Corbett did live in a dugout in Cloud County Kansas. There is a monument there erected by the Boy Scouts back in the 1950s. I drove out there a couple of years ago and took some pictures.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-02-2014, 05:36 AM
Great photo, Craig!
10-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks Roger! I took that photo back in 2011. Corbett's dugout is in the middle of a cow pasture off the beaten path. That's my son Robbie in the photo. He is about twice that size now!

Craig