Valerian Wine
08-07-2012, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 02:02 PM by Natty.)
Valerian Wine
Although I have been unable to find a definitive list of ingredients, I am quite familiar with Valerian Root, which is still a common ingredient here in over the counter sedatives and anti-anxiety medication, known in Germany as “Baldrian”. The active component of Valeriana officinalis is valerenic acid, a sesquiterpenoid accumulated in the essential oil of the root. Although the exact mechanism has not yet been determined, it is suspected that valerenic acid docks the same receptors as certain anesthetics; studies on rats have confirmed that it acts on subtype GABAA receptors as an allosteric modulator, interfering with the sleep-wake-cycle and resulting in the accumulation of GABA, leading to a sedative effect, relieving anxiety and convulsions. Its exact interaction with human physiology has not been clarified, nor do we know precisely how the additional components of the essential oil may play a role in its effect on the body.

Historically, Valerian root has been used as perfume, antiperspirant, sedative, anti-convulsive and even as medication against the plague or to guard against witchcraft – during the 19th century, it was used similarly to how it is currently applied, as a sedative, often referred to as a “stimulant” because it affected nervous behavior and induced sleep and muscle relaxation.

I have tried preparations myself, to ease anxiety and insomnia, but experienced no noticeable effects. The only thing I am left with from this experience is the memory of the stench radiated by the tea as it brewed. How this odor was ever considered a pleasant perfume is a mystery to me!

My observations on others who have digested this root have yielded similar results with no exhibition of any extreme reactions. Mild drowsiness and feelings of relaxation are all I have to report – my roommate’s mother regularly takes a tablet 30 minutes to an hour before retiring to bed and claims to sleep peacefully. She does not complain of any high levels of incapacitation or lingering drowsiness in the morning.

I’ve read accounts of the execution where Mary Surratt, Atzerodt and Herold could barely walk to the scaffold – if this was due to the Valerian Wine, I highly suspect it may have been laced with laudanum, as I find it hard to believe that anyone could react so fiercely to the consumption of Valerian Root.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2012, 02:09 PM
RE: Valerian Wine
(08-07-2012 01:58 PM)Natty Wrote:  Although I have been unable to find a definitive list of ingredients, I am quite familiar with Valerian Root, which is still a common ingredient here in over the counter sedatives and anti-anxiety medication, known in Germany as “Baldrian”. The active component of Valeriana officinalis is valerenic acid, a sesquiterpenoid accumulated in the essential oil of the root. Although the exact mechanism has not yet been determined, it is suspected that valerenic acid docks the same receptors as certain anesthetics; studies on rats have confirmed that it acts on subtype GABAA receptors as an allosteric modulator, interfering with the sleep-wake-cycle and resulting in the accumulation of GABA, leading to a sedative effect, relieving anxiety and convulsions. Its exact interaction with human physiology has not been clarified, nor do we know precisely how the additional components of the essential oil may play a role in its effect on the body.

Historically, Valerian root has been used as perfume, antiperspirant, sedative, anti-convulsive and even as medication against the plague or to guard against witchcraft – during the 19th century, it was used similarly to how it is currently applied, as a sedative, often referred to as a “stimulant” because it affected nervous behavior and induced sleep and muscle relaxation.

I have tried preparations myself, to ease anxiety and insomnia, but experienced no noticeable effects. The only thing I am left with from this experience is the memory of the stench radiated by the tea as it brewed. How this odor was ever considered a pleasant perfume is a mystery to me!

My observations on others who have digested this root have yielded similar results with no exhibition of any extreme reactions. Mild drowsiness and feelings of relaxation are all I have to report – my roommate’s mother regularly takes a tablet 30 minutes to an hour before retiring to bed and claims to sleep peacefully. She does not complain of any high levels of incapacitation or lingering drowsiness in the morning.

I’ve read accounts of the execution where Mary Surratt, Atzerodt and Herold could barely walk to the scaffold – if this was due to the Valerian Wine, I highly suspect it may have been laced with laudanum, as I find it hard to believe that anyone could react so fiercely to the consumption of Valerian Root.

Great post, Natty!

We had supposed that the Valerian Wine given to Mrs. Surratt and Herold (Atzerodt had Brandy) made them a little woozie.....perhaps they had something laced in it to make it a bit stronger. Powell refused to take this stuff ...or anything else for that matter!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-07-2012, 03:23 PM
(08-07-2012 02:09 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Great post, Natty!

We had supposed that the Valerian Wine given to Mrs. Surratt and Herold (Atzerodt had Brandy) made them a little woozie.....perhaps they had something laced in it to make it a bit stronger. Powell refused to take this stuff ...or anything else for that matter!

Thank you, Betty! It always made me wonder how they could react so strongly to such a mild sedative. I'm inclined to think that "Valerian Wine" was a pretty strong cocktail - probably enhanced with opium for the occasion to prevent any unwanted, hysterical displays on the gallows. Lewis must have known that it would turn his brain and body to mush, so he wanted to avoid being carried or assisted due to failing physical control. Since he was always so brave and strong, the authorities must have respected that decision.
08-07-2012, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 03:33 PM by RJNorton.)
Wasn't laudanum something that was widely available and legal to purchase over-the-counter during that time period in American history?
08-07-2012, 03:44 PM
(08-07-2012 03:31 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Wasn't laudanum something that was widely available and legal to purchase over-the-counter during that time period in American history?

I think so. The actual recipe was quite varied and a typical concentration would include about 10% opium. It was widely prescribed for all kinds of indications, some of which are unheard of in modern times - women used it to retain a "pallid complexion" and it was even spoon fed to infants. Many people, including notables like Charles Dickens were addicted to opium and it wasn't until 1906, when these drugs were required to be labeled with their ingredients that usage went down.
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Laudanum was widely available and widely recommended during our earlier centuries. It was also highly addictive. A member of my family was addicted to it during the Civil War era because she was advised to take it as a teenager to calm monthly problems. Her addiction became so violent that she had to be kept under lock and key.

Months ago, I was chasing down some information on the barons of industry in the 19th century and happened across data regarding many of their profits being gained through the opium trade with eastern cultures. Some of these are big names in American history books.
08-07-2012, 06:19 PM
(08-07-2012 04:21 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Laudanum was widely available and widely recommended during our earlier centuries. It was also highly addictive. A member of my family was addicted to it during the Civil War era because she was advised to take it as a teenager to calm monthly problems. Her addiction became so violent that she had to be kept under lock and key.

Months ago, I was chasing down some information on the barons of industry in the 19th century and happened across data regarding many of their profits being gained through the opium trade with eastern cultures. Some of these are big names in American history books.

Yes, opium trade was a source of enormous wealth back in the 19th century. My knowledge on the subject is not very broad, but I am aware of the involvement of people like:
Franklin Roosevelt's grandfather Warren Delano who served as Russell and Company's Chief of Operations in Canton Province, China.
The Forbes family who went on to later invest in Alexander Graham Bell's telephone company.
John Cleve Green, who used some of his opium fortune to finance Princeton University.
Abiel Abbott Low, who used his opium money to finance the construction of Columbia University.
And....John Jacob Astor

But that is probably just tipping the iceberg!
08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Those are the exact families that I ran across also. One positive note is that some of the fortunes gained back then went to philanthropic projects.
08-08-2012, 05:48 AM
(08-07-2012 07:16 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Those are the exact families that I ran across also. One positive note is that some of the fortunes gained back then went to philanthropic projects.

Yes, most of these people ended up giving money to charities, hospitals, schools, libraries and other public institutions; many well known causes were sponsored by some of the families involved in the opium trade. That list is actually really long! Smile Some of that money also went into investments that benefited American society on a different level, like railroads and the telephone. From what I gathered, opium was just "the way" to make money during that particular time and pretty much everyone who could tried to have their hand in it.
08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
I know people who take Valerian Root[anti-anxiety]before they go to work in the morning[Kodak]!
08-08-2012, 10:58 AM
(08-08-2012 10:56 AM)HerbS Wrote:  I know people who take Valerian Root[anti-anxiety]before they go to work in the morning[Kodak]!

I just drink coffee (LOTS of coffee) or eat candy -- I've got to stop that! Puts on too many pounds!!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-08-2012, 11:01 AM
(08-08-2012 10:58 AM)BettyO Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 10:56 AM)HerbS Wrote:  I know people who take Valerian Root[anti-anxiety]before they go to work in the morning[Kodak]!

I just drink coffee (LOTS of coffee) or eat candy -- I've got to stop that! Puts on too many pounds!!

I'm not sure any form of sedative would have taken away the horror of the situation unravelling around them the morning of the execution. I so feel for Mary Surratt. Not only beside herself with the contemplation of her own death, but gyno problems too. And the heat! What a combo! Poor soul.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
08-08-2012, 11:59 AM
(08-08-2012 11:01 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 10:58 AM)BettyO Wrote:  

I'm not sure any form of sedative would have taken away the horror of the situation unravelling around them the morning of the execution. I so feel for Mary Surratt. Not only beside herself with the contemplation of her own death, but gyno problems too. And the heat! What a combo! Poor soul.

People here in Germany also take Valerian Root to calm their nerves before their practical driving exams - and it's not considered driving under the influence. :-D
Before exams at uni, I always eat tons of pure dextrose, convincing myself it will my heighten brain activity. I'm usually a jittery, hyperactive mess by the time I pick up a pen!
And no, I doubt the amount of sedation given to Mary and the others could take away the horror of what was happening. They were still lucid and functioning, so they were probably quite aware of everything, even if it might have seemed more surreal to them than to Lewis Powell.
In any case, just thinking about the helpless terror people must have felt at the prospect of their own execution makes my stomach twist in knots.
08-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I haven't had much time to go over my Davey files--where specifically is the reference as to who took the valerian and/or laudenum and George taking brandy instead? Not that I'm surprised on that note...

“Within this enclosed area a structure to be inhabited by neither the living or the dead was fast approaching completion.”
~New York World 7/8/1865
08-08-2012, 01:03 PM
(08-08-2012 12:13 PM)Lindsey Wrote:  I haven't had much time to go over my Davey files--where specifically is the reference as to who took the valerian and/or laudenum and George taking brandy instead? Not that I'm surprised on that note...

Here is one for Mary Surratt taking Wine of Valerian:
New York Times

And an account of her requiring assistance due to "failing limbs":
New York Herald

In Alias Paine it is said that "stimulants" were received by everyone aside from Lewis. Whether or not this means Wine of Valerian for Davey and George, I do not know.