Picture Comparison
08-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Picture Comparison
Jim Garrett wrote and told me the NPS has the picture on the left identified as Anna Petersen. I believe the lady on the right is Bettie Rollins. Do the two women look alike? Are they the same person? Is the NPS wrong in its identification?

[Image: ana%20petersen.jpg] [Image: Betty%20Rollins.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2012, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 08:55 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Picture Comparison
(08-07-2012 08:34 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Jim Garrett wrote and told me the NPS has the picture on the left identified as Anna Petersen. I believe the lady on the right is Bettie Rollins. Do the two women look alike? Are they the same person? Is the NPS wrong in its identification?

[Image: ana%20petersen.jpg] [Image: Betty%20Rollins.jpg]

I have found out that the NPS is FREQUENTLY wrong - i.e. note the stirrups on Lew Powell's saddle in the new exhibit -- and they have never changed those yet - even though we told them....

I do NOT think this is the same woman. I have also seen the 2nd photo labeled as "Bettie Rollins." Her nose in the first photo seems a bit aquiline and in the second photo, it is straight and has a bit of a turned up appearance to it.... just MO.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-07-2012, 06:54 PM
The lady on the right is definitely Bettie Rollins, the woman who spilled the beans that Willie Jett might be found at the Star Hotel in Bowling Green. This led to the apprehension of Willie and the death of Booth. We have that exact same photo of Bettie Rollins in the collection at Surratt House, and I believe that it was first located by James O. Hall from a descendant.

I have never seen a photo of Anna Petersen. However, I have seen the woman on the left here in several of the spurious advertisements for "framed locks of Mary Surratt's hair displayed with her photo." That lady on the left is "her photo," but of course it is not of Mrs. Surratt.

One of the Petersen descendants wrote a book a few years ago about what went on at the boardinghouse that night. I can't remember the title, and I don't have a ready copy. Could there be any family photos in there to verify this as Anna Petersen?

Once again I would love to see the provenance.
08-07-2012, 08:53 PM
(08-07-2012 06:54 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The lady on the right is definitely Bettie Rollins, the woman who spilled the beans that Willie Jett might be found at the Star Hotel in Bowling Green. This led to the apprehension of Willie and the death of Booth. We have that exact same photo of Bettie Rollins in the collection at Surratt House, and I believe that it was first located by James O. Hall from a descendant.

I have never seen a photo of Anna Petersen. However, I have seen the woman on the left here in several of the spurious advertisements for "framed locks of Mary Surratt's hair displayed with her photo." That lady on the left is "her photo," but of course it is not of Mrs. Surratt.

One of the Petersen descendants wrote a book a few years ago about what went on at the boardinghouse that night. I can't remember the title, and I don't have a ready copy. Could there be any family photos in there to verify this as Anna Petersen?

I am trying to find the provenance of the picture further than NPS. The Book is "Lincoln's Last Battleground" by Robert Bain.
08-07-2012, 10:29 PM
(08-07-2012 06:54 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The lady on the right is definitely Bettie Rollins, the woman who spilled the beans that Willie Jett might be found at the Star Hotel in Bowling Green. This led to the apprehension of Willie and the death of Booth. We have that exact same photo of Bettie Rollins in the collection at Surratt House, and I believe that it was first located by James O. Hall from a descendant.

Laurie,
Is the book you refer to called Lincoln's Last Battleground: A Tragic Night Recalled by Robert T. Bain? If it is i checked the book and there is a photo of Pauline Petersen (in profile) on page 10. This Pauline Petersen appears to be the same woman identified as Anna Petersen by the NPS. Pauline was the daughter of Anna...but by gosh they look like the same person to me. I would post a pic here but not sure if it is copyrighted or not.

Craig
08-08-2012, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012 05:14 AM by RJNorton.)
Several years ago Robert Bain wrote me and asked if I would put a plug for his book on my website. I was glad to do so, and we ended up exchanging several emails about his family. I don't think Robert would mind at all if I posted a photo of Pauline Petersen. So I scanned it this morning, and here she is:

[Image: paulinepetersen.jpg]
Pauline Petersen

I have never seen actual photos of either William or Anna. However, here is a sketch of William that appeared in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, on April 29, 1865.

[Image: petersen.jpg]
William Petersen
08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
The profile of Pauline does certainly look like what the NPS says is Anna Petersen, HOWEVER, the first picture we saw on this post is in a dress of the 1865 era (dropped shoulder line, bishop's sleeves, tie at neck, etc.). The photo of Pauline is definitely at least 20-25 years later, judging by the dress. The face should have aged more if they are of the same woman.

It is very possible, to me, that the ca. 1865 photo is Mama Petersen, and the latter one of daughter Pauline.
08-08-2012, 06:56 PM
(08-08-2012 12:52 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  The profile of Pauline does certainly look like what the NPS says is Anna Petersen, HOWEVER, the first picture we saw on this post is in a dress of the 1865 era (dropped shoulder line, bishop's sleeves, tie at neck, etc.). The photo of Pauline is definitely at least 20-25 years later, judging by the dress. The face should have aged more if they are of the same woman.

It is very possible, to me, that the ca. 1865 photo is Mama Petersen, and the latter one of daughter Pauline.

Laurie - based on the clothing, I think you are seriously correct! The first photo is 1860's era -- this one is definitely 1890s -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Well, I knew that Pauline Petersen Wenzing died on June 5th 1932 was cremated and her ashes buried in Loudon Park Cemetery, Baltimore. She was buried in lot 873, space 2 (top). When I got out there I had trouble finding the plot as there was no marker. So, I enlisted the aid of some cemetery workers who in the first pic uncovered the plot marker (873) and then staked out the plot. She is buried with Ferdinand Wenzing (unk. relationship) who died in 1910.
[Image: petersen1.jpg]
[Image: petersen2.jpg]
[Image: petersen3.jpg]
08-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Rich, have you ever come across photos of either William or Anna Petersen? Robert Bain has no photos of them in his book. I wonder if they are in the "same drawer" as the photos of Ella Starr, John Lloyd and Peanut John...
08-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Roger, I have never come across any pics. Sorry!