Student Skit of Powell's attack on Seward
08-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Student Skit of Powell's attack on Seward
Students from the Florida Union School District in Florida, NY recently performed a skit of Lewis Powell's attack on William Seward. There is a great picture included in the article from the June 2012 edition of The Florida Focus.

"William Henry Seward, arguably Florida’s most famous son, was born on May 16, 1801 in a house that now exists as a dilapidated barm at the rear of 35 North Main Street in Florida, NY. On May 19, 2012 the Florida Historical Society hosted their 21st Annual William Henry Seward Birthday Celebration, complete with cake, though without 211 candles...

"Under the directorship of FHS member Joan Kissinger, Florida UFSD students presented “The Stabbing of Lincoln’s Secretary of State on the Night Lincoln was Shot.” Though undoubtedly lacking the Hollywood glamor of Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln,” which is due to be released later this year, the skit nevertheless provided a thrilling depiction of the assassination attempt on Seward by Lewis Powell (aka Lewis Payne). Powell was a co-conspirator with John Wilkes Booth in the plot to kill President Lincoln, Vice President Andrew Johnson and Secretary of State Seward all on the same night. (A third conspirator, George Atzerodt, never carried out the attempt on Johnson, possibly because he was drunk, we learned)."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...Y1infF2LlQ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 09:55 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Student Skit of Powell's attack on Seward
(08-06-2012 09:43 AM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Students from the Florida Union School District in Florida, NY recently performed a skit of Lewis Powell's attack on William Seward. There is a great picture included in the article from the June 2012 edition of The Florida Focus.

"William Henry Seward, arguably Florida’s most famous son, was born on May 16, 1801 in a house that now exists as a dilapidated barm at the rear of 35 North Main Street in Florida, NY. On May 19, 2012 the Florida Historical Society hosted their 21st Annual William Henry Seward Birthday Celebration, complete with cake, though without 211 candles...

"Under the directorship of FHS member Joan Kissinger, Florida UFSD students presented “The Stabbing of Lincoln’s Secretary of State on the Night Lincoln was Shot.” Though undoubtedly lacking the Hollywood glamor of Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln,” which is due to be released later this year, the skit nevertheless provided a thrilling depiction of the assassination attempt on Seward by Lewis Powell (aka Lewis Payne). Powell was a co-conspirator with John Wilkes Booth in the plot to kill President Lincoln, Vice President Andrew Johnson and Secretary of State Seward all on the same night. (A third conspirator, George Atzerodt, never carried out the attempt on Johnson, possibly because he was drunk, we learned)."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...Y1infF2LlQ

Cute! At least Powell is portrayed as YOUNG (albeit a bit TOO young, perhaps!) and not as the 40-something as he was portrayed in the Conspirator! HA!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-06-2012, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 10:00 AM by RJNorton.)
Fascinating, Linda. Many thanks for posting this. Was Lewis Powell wearing Nikes?
08-06-2012, 10:13 AM
I'll defer to Betty on Powell's footwear, Roger.

I recognize Seward, Powell, and Fred Seward who is wearing the bloody bandages. Who do you think the person in the white coat is?
08-06-2012, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 10:15 AM by BettyO.)
(08-06-2012 09:58 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Fascinating, Linda. Many thanks for posting this. Was Lewis Powell wearing Nikes?

Nikes! HA! I think Lew Powell preferred Air Jordans!!

On set Friday night, a Confederate soldier came onto set in front of the cameras wearing flip flops! The director had a fit and ran out to grab him! He explained that he was just wearing them out onto the set because they wanted him to walk barefoot (there was mulch spread all over the cobblestone street). We all drew a sigh of relief when he removed the flip flops and tucked them out of view in his blanket roll!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-07-2012, 02:15 PM
(08-06-2012 10:13 AM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  I'll defer to Betty on Powell's footwear, Roger.

I recognize Seward, Powell, and Fred Seward who is wearing the bloody bandages. Who do you think the person in the white coat is?

Robinson, maybe?! I thought the guy in the white coat was Lew.....I don't know! But it's cute....