Abraham Lincoln Tomb Documentary
07-22-2014, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2014 11:36 AM by Angela.)
Abraham Lincoln Tomb Documentary
I just saw this and thought it a great idea!

TV producer Chris Ryder and the Lincoln Monument Association are planning a comprehensive documentary about the Lincoln Tomb.
I have never seen a current documentary like this and am looking forward to that DVD.

More info here and here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2014, 11:45 AM
RE: Abraham Lincoln Tomb Documentary
Can't wait...thanks Angela!
07-22-2014, 12:21 PM
The music is good.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-22-2014, 12:37 PM
(07-22-2014 12:21 PM)Gene C Wrote:  The music is good.

Lol, thanks for saying that - I thought so too!
07-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Hello Symposium Members,

I am the producer of the upcoming Lincoln Tomb Documentary. I was searching the web for a list of newspapers which have published the AP release about the project and discovered this thread.

I won't spam the forum with solicitations, rather for those who might be interested in the project, I invite you to follow the documentary blog at my website:

http://www.autumnleafpro.com

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. The teaser trailer was created for our Indiegogo campaign. The final film will incorporate interviews, narration, musical interludes, and potentially re-enactment scenes and computer renderings of the tomb at various stages...all depending on our funding tiers.

We have had a wealth of Lincoln enthusiasts contact us offering in-kind services, and yesterday received information from a former IL Capital Development Board employee about rare documents and photos which will be at our disposal.

Last, when the production is complete, ownership rights will be granted to the Lincoln Monument Association. They will sell the DVD in perpetuity to raise funds for the maintenace of the tomb. Every donation directly contributes to the preservation of the Lincoln Tomb.

Thank you much and thank you Angela for noticing the campaign and starting the discussion.

Chris Ryder
07-29-2014, 06:02 PM
What a wonderful project! The video is extremely impressive and the music is indeed grand -

Welcome Mr. Ryder! We will eagerly watch the work on your wonderful video. And please take advantage of the wonderful minds which "inhabit" this Forum - there are some grand Lincoln researchers here!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Mr.Ryder,your documentary is viewed highly in Rochester,NY-media.Herb Swingle
07-30-2014, 12:32 PM
It really looks good. Love seeing the photos of the tomb during construction.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-30-2014, 01:08 PM
(07-29-2014 05:38 PM)Chris Ryder Wrote:  Last, when the production is complete, ownership rights will be granted to the Lincoln Monument Association. They will sell the DVD in perpetuity to raise funds for the maintenance of the tomb. Every donation directly contributes to the preservation of the Lincoln Tomb.

Mr. Ryder,
Thank you for embarking on this project. I understand the maintenance budget has fallen on hard times. Your DVD is a great way to raise funds and educate new generations about the history of this wonderful monument.
07-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Hello,

Thank you for the kind responses. The music was originally a scratch track just to get a pace for the teaser video. After I received some images from the LMA and inserted them into the edit, the music ended up fitting very well. It is stock music, which works for a teaser campaign for a documentary which has yet to be produced, but the actual film soundtrack will be composed of originally recorded compositions.
Given that, since I have had such positive feedback on this music with the effective crescendo, I will be working with Jeb Hart (soundtrack producer) on similar orchestrations. The opening credits will definitely be orchestral and somber...depicting the route of the funeral train. When the train arrives in Springfield, the beginning credits end, and the film begins.

To address another post, the LMA has over 500 photos of the tomb re-construction. They are all from the 1930's just prior to the President Hoover re-dedication.
Fortunately one of your members, in addition to a former employee at the IL Capital Development Board mentioned prior, has offered photos of the original monument and earlier refurbishments.

Sometimes there is little rhyme or reason on which crowdfunding projects are successful. I have an uphill climb with this. However, as an editor for a PBS station, I have learned how to create much with very litttle. I am a very difficult person to please and when I meet my own expectations with this film, I believe the majority of you will be happy as well.

I know the LMA budget is tight, and the reason why I opted not to use the money they budgeted for the film. I want zero financial risk for the LMA, and in exchange for their confidence and looking at the bigger picture, the least I could do was give them the rights.
I might have to sell my DeLorean to pay for this!, but selfishly is exactly where I want to be and will allow me to pursue more of these similar type projects in the future. This film will be completed no matter what.

Thank you again and I will add updates to the website as more details emerge.

Chris
07-30-2014, 04:34 PM
I will be the first-or among the first-to purchase the DVD when it is released. It sounds like a great idea!
07-30-2014, 05:08 PM
(07-29-2014 05:38 PM)Chris Ryder Wrote:  Hello Symposium Members,

I am the producer of the upcoming Lincoln Tomb Documentary. I was searching the web for a list of newspapers which have published the AP release about the project and discovered this thread.

I won't spam the forum with solicitations, rather for those who might be interested in the project, I invite you to follow the documentary blog at my website:

http://www.autumnleafpro.com

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. The teaser trailer was created for our Indiegogo campaign. The final film will incorporate interviews, narration, musical interludes, and potentially re-enactment scenes and computer renderings of the tomb at various stages...all depending on our funding tiers.

We have had a wealth of Lincoln enthusiasts contact us offering in-kind services, and yesterday received information from a former IL Capital Development Board employee about rare documents and photos which will be at our disposal.

Last, when the production is complete, ownership rights will be granted to the Lincoln Monument Association. They will sell the DVD in perpetuity to raise funds for the maintenace of the tomb. Every donation directly contributes to the preservation of the Lincoln Tomb.

Thank you much and thank you Angela for noticing the campaign and starting the discussion.

Chris Ryder

Dear Mr. Ryder,
thank you so much for chiming in to this thread! I found out about the project through an article on the State Journal-Register which I'm reading from Germany online.
I was very excited to read about this project since I have not come across any recent documentaries of this kind and wish you the greatest success.

While I can not really offer any support as a newbie on the Lincoln topic and a foreigner as well, I can hardly wait to obtain a copy of the film and here is where my questions start (I have SO many!).
I'd be very interested in learning about the options that you have mapped out on your website concerning the details of the documentary (the 3D rendering of the tomb and the actual burial ground) as well as how soon it would be possible to secure a copy which includes the first screening (since I am planning to be in the area next spring).

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask all these questions in order not to spam the forum, but I'd love to learn more about this project!
07-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Certainly, ask all of the questions you would like...as long as the forum moderator thinks it is appropriate. It is motivating to see the enthusiasm.

The Indiegogo campaign is live for about 10 more days. After that is an option to extend it, or we might try Kickstarter. In addition it will be 'grass roots', presenting the campaign to other organizations. Since I am at PBS, the world of fundraising is familar, but I seriously detest soliciting funds (pledge drives are insane). I think as a Capitalist and believe if someone contributes they should get a fair value in return, which is why the pre-orders are affordable, will be one of a kind, and include the soundtrack cd.
Unfortunately the campaign is starting off a little sluggish and the fundraising will likely endure throughout production. Point being, for those who want to order the DVD or Blu-ray in advance, it would be extremely helpful...and they will get something more unique compared to future prints of the DVD and Blu-ray. However, since we have a current total of 29 pledges on Indiegogo, the first batches look like they will last a while for those who wish to wait. I'll refrain from soliciting on this forum from here on out. Smile

I have the production elements split into tiers, meaning if this much is raised, we do this, if this much is raised, we implement that. Tier 1 covers the base costs including the expenses of DVD and Blu-ray replication. A minimum of 1,000 DVD's and 500 Blu-rays have to be ordered to make the fees affordable. It also includes the cover art and design, the fees for the soundtrack commission, and the professional voiceover narration.

To address Angela's question, the 3D rendering will be included in Tier 2. I will likely be working with an animation company based out of St. Louis, MO. If there is not enough money, my production partner might create the renders with a software called Maxon 4D. I hope we get to Tier 2 since we have a good chance of receiving blueprint copies from the IL Capital Development Board. Worse case, we measure the existing tomb and gather as much data to calculate where the coffin lies now in relation to the tomb. I think we are well past the threat of anyone being able to break through the concrete, and the LMA did not have any objections to the renderings.

As mentioned before, this is going to be produced no matter what. The main differences between Tier 1 through Tier 4 in fundraising are really embellishments and icing on the cake. The core message and story will be solid regardless.

Last, to fulfill my Indiegogo obligations, there will be a screening next Spring in Springfield. I've been encouraged by others to hold screenings in different parts of the Midwest as well. I don't know the exact dates or venues...they will be determined as soon as I am able.

If you have any more questions and are hesitant to post them here, feel free to send me an email to info@autumnleafpro.com

Thanks again. Chris.
07-31-2014, 01:53 AM
I hate the fact that AL is in a block of concrete. I can't help it, I continue to hope that science will find a way to "free" him one day. As it stands only a bomb could blow it open at this point.

Also, in the Kunhardt book "Looking For Lincoln" the authors make the claim that the remains of Mary Todd Lincoln were secretly placed in the concrete/steel vault with the president's. Do you know anything about this?

She certainly wanted and expected to be placed at AL's side for all eternity...I think she would be dismayed if she was buried apart from him.
07-31-2014, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 09:33 PM by Chris Ryder.)
LincolnToddFan,

I am still learning a great deal and don't know your answer about Mrs. Lincoln, but will ask the LMA. I did read an article about a previous tombkeeper who was crawling above the catacomb of sorts where Mrs. Lincoln is buried and discovered the original grave marker stones. I don't know if this was prior to the final entombment or not.

Your point about taking a bomb to break the concrete (and possible steel cage) is something which I've now added to my potential 'avenues'. Is there a debate on whether or not in this day and age of electronic security if there is a desire to free him, as you say. I could understand an argument where people would want the body to actually reside in the sarcophagus on display, and others maintaining the wishes of the family, son Robert in particular, should always prevail. There seemed to be a lot of people with the morbid curiosity to come up with excuses to view the body. Understandably there are even more people today who would want that opportunity and develop the perfect excuse to do so? The opportunity to be the new, last person to view his body. If Jesus is the most written about person in the world and President Lincoln is second, wouldn't that also be the order of who people would also like to see with their own eyes more than any other person?

Back to Mrs. Lincoln, another avenue I want to concentrate on is the monument as a tomb for a family and to try to give Mrs. Lincoln a fair deal. Maybe I am naive, but I think she gets a bad rap historically. Similar to Jackie Kennedy, the trajedy she experienced is unfathomable. Then for history to beat her up, ask Congress for a widows pension, fight the opportunists who wanted to turn LA into a tourist attraction...she had to endure things most of us will never experience on our worse day.

I fight with the thought I am being a bit hypocritical as well by potentially earning some income from his death by creating this documentary...and that reminds me of something I forgot to bring up before. If I am able to produce the re-enactment scenes, there will be no actor portraying the president. All camera angles used will never actually show the body. That's my line of respect.

I also find it endearing throughout the LMA budget cuts, they have not resorted to tackiness. They sell a few items on their website and offer memberships. There is no visitors center with a gift shop. That surely disappoints some people, but the intention was this monument and tomb to be a mecca, not a tourist attraction.