Booth's diary and missing pages
07-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Booth's diary and missing pages
I spoke with a friend who is forensic document examiner (a retired Michigan State cop) and we believe the missing pages from Booth's diary can be retrieved at least in part. We've petitioned Ford's Theater to allow us access to the diary but were denied. The testing is non invasive, but would require about 2 weeks to perform a complete set of tests but they don't want the diary out of public view. Talk to the FBI and they have the equipment to run the tests themselves but said they're only investigation criminal matters. Any suggestions on how to get the Park Services to reconsider our petition? Reply: lassin@sbcglobal.net
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2014, 11:27 PM
RE: Booth's diary and missing pages
Hi richard,

Sounds very interesting. But how would you locate the missing pages of the diary simply by examining the existing one?
07-18-2014, 09:45 AM
That's my question also - what is the process? And, are you aware that the FBI examined that entire diary soemtime in the 1980s or early-90s? There used to be a website devoted to it.

P.S. I run the Surratt House Museum, and I would not release anything to private citizens to "test" unless ordered to do so and with specific plans fully outlined in advance. What other such artifacts have you worked on? Preservation of history is foremost in importance.
07-18-2014, 02:22 PM
(07-17-2014 10:34 PM)richard Wrote:  I spoke with a friend who is forensic document examiner (a retired Michigan State cop) and we believe the missing pages from Booth's diary can be retrieved at least in part. We've petitioned Ford's Theater to allow us access to the diary but were denied. The testing is non invasive, but would require about 2 weeks to perform a complete set of tests but they don't want the diary out of public view. Talk to the FBI and they have the equipment to run the tests themselves but said they're only investigation criminal matters. Any suggestions on how to get the Park Services to reconsider our petition? Reply: lassin@sbcglobal.net

Hi Richard! Some years ago, the FBI conducted a series of tests on the diary, one of which examined the stubs of the missing pages to see if any writing could be discerned on the torn edges. I believe they found traces of handwriting on some of the edges, but no complete words. I seem to recall a finding that the missing pages were torn out at different times and not all at once, but I'm going on memory alone here. The entire FBI report is available at the FBI website.
07-18-2014, 06:41 PM
I should also add that the FBI undertook the project because Vice President Mondale requested that they do so - after James O. Hall requested it because of fraudulent claims of someone having the missing pages. We took the final report and turned it into a booklet to sell at the Surratt House. I doubt we have any copies left, however, unless in the research center.
07-18-2014, 09:19 PM
(07-18-2014 09:45 AM)L Verge Wrote:  That's my question also - what is the process? And, are you aware that the FBI examined that entire diary soemtime in the 1980s or early-90s? There used to be a website devoted to it.

P.S. I run the Surratt House Museum, and I would not release anything to private citizens to "test" unless ordered to do so and with specific plans fully outlined in advance. What other such artifacts have you worked on? Preservation of history is foremost in importance.
Take it from me, Laurie means what she says. The Surratt Museum will not release ANYTHING, to a private citizen for a project. A few years ago I wanted to borrow their copy of the "Saint Lawrence Register" and have it put on a disc. The Register is no longer available from Montreal. I made all sorts of promises - they could approve the professional Copier - They would have exclusive ownership - they would not incur any costs, etc. etc. etc.
On top of that - their Reader was out of commission.
I still don't have a copy of the Register.
I don't fault the Society. What if a problem developed that was no ones fault. Then their copy is destroyed. At least they have a copy that may be readable someday. Has anyone any information of a change in Policy in Montreal? While we are on the topic, Where can I get a copy of BGen E.G. Lee's Diary??
07-19-2014, 10:30 AM
(07-18-2014 09:19 PM)SSlater Wrote:  
(07-18-2014 09:45 AM)L Verge Wrote:  That's my question also - what is the process? And, are you aware that the FBI examined that entire diary soemtime in the 1980s or early-90s? There used to be a website devoted to it.

Take it from me, Laurie means what she says. The Surratt Museum will not release ANYTHING, to a private citizen for a project. A few years ago I wanted to borrow their copy of the "Saint Lawrence Register" and have it put on a disc. The Register is no longer available from Montreal. I made all sorts of promises - they could approve the professional Copier - They would have exclusive ownership - they would not incur any costs, etc. etc. etc.
On top of that - their Reader was out of commission.
I still don't have a copy of the Register.
I don't fault the Society. What if a problem developed that was no ones fault. Then their copy is destroyed. At least they have a copy that may be readable someday. Has anyone any information of a change in Policy in Montreal? While we are on the topic, Where can I get a copy of BGen E.G. Lee's Diary??

I was told by a librarian at UNC-Chapel Hill, which used to have a microfilm of the diary, that it has been "deaccessioned" and thus is no longer at UNC but that the original is at Duke University's Rubenstein Library as part of the Edmund Jennings Lee papers. I haven't been there to look yet, but the finding aid does mention the diary:

EDMUND JENNINGS LEE II, PAPERS, 1737-1912.
The letters and papers of Edmund Jennings Lee II, concern the Lee family, the related Rutherford, Lucas, Dandridge, Rust, Washington, and Shepherd families, and Lee's law practice. The collection contains correspondence among the brothers Edmund Jennings Lee II, Charles Henry Lee, Richard Henry Lee, and Cassius Francis Lee pertaining for the most part to Edmund J. Lee's extensive legal practice; letters and papers relating to the settlement of the estate of Rezin Davis Shepherd in which Edmund J. Lee's children had an interest; letters concerning family matters; bills and receipts, primarily from Edmund J. Lee's legal practice and business interests; miscellaneous family writings; and family pictures. Correspondence from the period of the Civil War includes copies of letters from Edwin Grey Lee, son of Edmund J. Lee, describing his service in the Confederate Army and alluding to his later work with the Confederate secret service in Virginia and Canada. There are 8 volumes dealing with legal matters including notes on the law and financial ledgers; a ledger from the Virginia-Maryland Bridge Company, 1849-1851; a record book, 1818-1848, from the Shepherdstown and Winchester Turnpike Company; diaries of Henrietta (Bedinger) Lee, 1874-1877, Edwin Grey Lee, 1864-1865 and 1865, and Edmund Jennings Lee III, 1866; and a book of notes from a logic class taken by George Rust Bedinger at the University of Virginia, 1859, which was later used as a letter book and ledger.

6,373 items and 11 vols.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2014, 11:50 AM
I would be interested to know what the process would be as I don't see how any tests could reveal what the missing pages would say. I would be for it if there would be no damage done to the diary. When the FBI examined it in the 80's or 90's did they come up with anything?
Great topic!

07-19-2014, 02:01 PM
(07-19-2014 11:50 AM)CJSchoonover Wrote:  When the FBI examined it in the 80's or 90's did they come up with anything?

Cal, Ed Steers discusses this in Lincoln Legends: Myths, Hoaxes, and Confabulations Associated with Our Greatest President. Go here.
07-19-2014, 03:59 PM
(07-19-2014 02:01 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(07-19-2014 11:50 AM)CJSchoonover Wrote:  When the FBI examined it in the 80's or 90's did they come up with anything?

Cal, Ed Steers discusses this in Lincoln Legends: Myths, Hoaxes, and Confabulations Associated with Our Greatest President. Go here.

As I recall, during all of those FBI investigations, Jim Hall was in on it. Afterward, he said they found nothing of interest. About the only fact they found, was they counted the missing pages. Which told them nothing. So, the conclusion was - that the pages were used for other purposes. Such as Personal Notes, start a fire, and toilet tissue (during their stay in the Pines.) They were not sure WHEN the pages were removed. ( it was an OLD book. So, Booth may have gotten the book with the pages already removed.
I have given up on finding something new about the Diary.
07-19-2014, 05:33 PM
(07-19-2014 03:59 PM)SSlater Wrote:  
(07-19-2014 02:01 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  

As I recall, during all of those FBI investigations, Jim Hall was in on it. Afterward, he said they found nothing of interest. About the only fact they found, was they counted the missing pages. Which told them nothing. So, the conclusion was - that the pages were used for other purposes. Such as Personal Notes, start a fire, and toilet tissue (during their stay in the Pines.) They were not sure WHEN the pages were removed. ( it was an OLD book. So, Booth may have gotten the book with the pages already removed.
I have given up on finding something new about the Diary.

After my fifty years of hearing about the missing pages, I think it's time we all give up on finding something new about the diary. The decision to go with the FBI's investigation was because they had the best-trained forensic teams and also the latest and best equipment for that type of work. I consider their findings (or non-findings) pretty conclusive.
07-19-2014, 06:25 PM
[They were not sure WHEN the pages were removed. ( it was an OLD book. So, Booth may have gotten the book with the pages already removed]// quote

This is something I did not even think of, and it's a great point!
07-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Bear in mind that it was not designed to be a diary. It's original purpose was as an appointment book. Booth did not have an agent as he would likely have had today. He made his own contacts and schedules, and that was the purpose of that 1864 book. How many pages had he removed previous to even January 1, 1865?
07-20-2014, 08:49 PM
I know there are people who believe those famous missing pages hold the secrets of a greater conspiracy. And there are people who aren't certain what secrets the pages hold, but are sure it's something juicy. And there are people who aren't sure, but kind of want the pages to hold fascinating secrets. I understand that and I guess I can live with it. Personally, I've never believed it for one minute. There are so many simple, plausible explanations as to what was written on those pages. If Booth had been more organized with the "diary", I might be a little more inclined to believe the hype. But he wasn't. That book was kind of a mess...from the previous year, dates scratched out and new ones written in, and etc. I find it very very difficult to believe that someone who was so unorganized with that book didn't tear a page out from time to time for some random purpose. If someone were to come up with hard evidence that the diary was used for something other than day to day nick knacks, then I'd be fascinated by it. I don't believe that will ever happen, because I believe the missing pages mean nothing.

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
07-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Bless you, Jonathan! Is it Occam's Razor that preaches that the simplest explanation is usually the best?