George Atzerodt's Little girl Edith
07-13-2014, 12:15 AM
George Atzerodt's Little girl Edith
This search is a mess. I hope we can make sense - someday.

I think we all agree that George Atzerodt and Elizabeth Adams Boswell were "an item" in Port Tobacco in the early 1860's, and they had a daughter, EDITH. My goal is to find Edith.

Do we all believe that Elizabeth had been married to Charles H Wheeler? and had 5 children - all girls. He died in 1853.

Then a Henry O. Rose, of D.C., occupied the other half of Elizabeth's "Beauty rest" for awhile. There is a Henry O. Rose shown in the D.C. City Directory (I didn't find a wife.) He was a Clerk/ Book Keeper at the Nat. Bank of Washington.

Then along came George Atzerodt, who did not marry Elizabeth, but he won her heart and they had Edith. But he apparently dumped her long before April of 1865. I base that statement on her remarks to the Provost Marshal, after her arrest. The Marshall was looking for Atzerodt, but she would not squeal on him. She said she still loved him and would not betray him. This grubby reticent George, who is not an Errol Flynn, must have been pretty good at what he did. I guess he got her pregnant, but wasn't a Fatherly type.

Up to this exact point, I believed that the little girl was his motive for all the that he did. I thought he wanted to raise her and give her a good life. I was wrong.

The Marshal realized the George was long gone, so he arrested the person who was her current kanoodler, a Mr. Nicholas Crangle.

This is a totally new name to me. I never heard of him before this.

Naturally, he gives a Statement to the Marshalls. He said he married "Miss Adams, which was Mrs. W's maiden name." IMO, his belief is all wrong. She was Elizabeth Adams Boswell. Notice that when she married Wheeler, she became Elizabeth B. (for Boswell) Wheeler. Typically, when a lady marries, she assumes her maiden name as her new middle name - but not always. It is her choice.

Now that Crangle married Elizabeth, how did he deal with Edith? Did he adopt her -formally or informally? I donno. But, I assume that Elizabeth took the Crangle name. I have no idea if Elizabeth continued to change her bed partner every time they changed the sheets, but I am searching for Elizabeth Crangle now. That applies to Edith too. I have found that an EDITH CRANGLE, BORN 1863, died in New York, New York on 19 Oct. 1898. (Nothing more said.)

I have sent for a Death Certificate to see if the lady is "Atzerodt's Little Girl Edith."

PS. If anyone would like to look further, or differently, feel free to Quote, or use, this information. I am busy with Sarah.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2014, 10:56 AM
RE: George Atzerodt's Little girl Edith
Nicholas Crangle married Elizabeth Wheeler's half sister, a "Miss Adams". She died around 1860. I don't think he and Mrs. Wheeler ever got together but I suppose it's possible. In the 1870 census for Port Tobacco there is a L.D. Crangle who was also a tailor living near the Wheelers, but it appears that he has a family of his own. Though I can't explain a 17 year-old "D. Wheeler" who lived with him. Keep up the good work, John!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Very interesting info John, y'all never stop surprising me and impressing me on all the interesting stuff you find.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-13-2014, 06:00 PM
(07-13-2014 10:56 AM)Davert Taylor Wrote:  Nicholas Crangle married Elizabeth Wheeler's half sister, a "Miss Adams". She died around 1860. I don't think he and Mrs. Wheeler ever got together but I suppose it's possible. In the 1870 census for Port Tobacco there is a L.D. Crangle who was also a tailor living near the Wheelers, but it appears that he has a family of his own. Though I can't explain a 17 year-old "D. Wheeler" who lived with him. Keep up the good work, John!
There is a record of Nicholas B. Crangle marrying Margaret Adams in 1860, in Arlington, VA. That must be the one you are referring to. Then , as we now stand, that Nicholas Crangle, is the same one that came to take care Elizabeth and was thought to be her consort, by the Marshals.
In his statement he said that his wife died - the "Miss Adams" lady.
I have sent for the Death Record for Edith Crangle. That may shed some light on this mess. I can see where Edith would not want to carry the name Atzerodt with her. It might be that Nicholas did hang around with Elizabeth, after the assassination and took Edith under his wing. If he stayed with them, Elizabeth and Edith, both may have taken his name.
I'm trying to create themes that I can research. There are so few CRANGLE families, that involved their lives, that it HAS TO BE him.
07-13-2014, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2014 08:38 PM by BettyO.)
Quote:I have found that an EDITH CRANGLE, BORN 1863, died in New York, New York on 19 Oct. 1898.

I have sent for a Death Certificate to see if the lady is "Atzerodt's Little Girl Edith."

John, have you ever used the New York Bureau of Vital Statistics before? They are absolutely great! Turn around time for getting a death/birth certificate is fast and accurate. They are very thorough. Good luck and let us know what happens -

Thanks for sharing!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-14-2014, 03:45 PM
A question for Eva - A transmittal from the U.S. Consul Gen. in Germany dated May 11, 1865, identifies George Atzerodt as being a "Thuringian, of Seebach near Langensalza." Do those geographic points still exist in Germany today?
07-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Dave. In order to research and solve the family tree mess, for the Boswell/Adams family, we need to create a logical relationship.
William's "Father Boswell" and "Mother Boswell" had William in 1821, and Elizabeth in 1828, thus Full brother and sister.
It appears that "Father" and "Mother" Boswell separated, for whatever reason, and "Mother" Boswell married (??) a Mr. Adams. They then had a daughter Margaret Adams. (It wasn't "Father" Boswell that remarried, or the daughter would have been Margaret Boswell.) Margaret becomes a Half-sister to William and Elizabeth.
Margaret married Nicholas B. Crangle in 1860, and Margaret died shortly after. I assume she would have been about 20 years old, and born about 1840. Sadly, the 1840 Census, and earlier, do not show the names and dates that we need. So, all I can find on Margaret is that she married Crangle in 1860.
I assume that Elizabeth went to live with her "Mother" Adams, and at the time she chose "Adams" as her middle name. (1840 +/-)
Based on this scenario, I believe that "Father" Boswell died just before 1840.
I will use these names and times to see if I can work out a solution. Maybe I can find Death or Marriage or Birth .certificates.
(I should be so lucky!) John PS Comments, please.
07-19-2014, 10:41 PM
(07-17-2014 03:42 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Dave. In order to research and solve the family tree mess, for the Boswell/Adams family, we need to create a logical relationship.
William's "Father Boswell" and "Mother Boswell" had William in 1821, and Elizabeth in 1828, thus Full brother and sister.
It appears that "Father" and "Mother" Boswell separated, for whatever reason, and "Mother" Boswell married (??) a Mr. Adams. They then had a daughter Margaret Adams. (It wasn't "Father" Boswell that remarried, or the daughter would have been Margaret Boswell.) Margaret becomes a Half-sister to William and Elizabeth.
Margaret married Nicholas B. Crangle in 1860, and Margaret died shortly after. I assume she would have been about 20 years old, and born about 1840. Sadly, the 1840 Census, and earlier, do not show the names and dates that we need. So, all I can find on Margaret is that she married Crangle in 1860.
I assume that Elizabeth went to live with her "Mother" Adams, and at the time she chose "Adams" as her middle name. (1840 +/-)
Based on this scenario, I believe that "Father" Boswell died just before 1840.
I will use these names and times to see if I can work out a solution. Maybe I can find Death or Marriage or Birth .certificates.
(I should be so lucky!) John PS Comments, please.
Add this to the mix: "Elizabeth Wheeler had a brother, James Adams, living near-by "(Port Tobacco). This might be Margaret Adams BROTHER, then he was half-brother of Mrs Wheeler. This half brother would be about Margaret's Adams age - Say born 1842 +/-
(say 18 in 1860).
07-23-2014, 11:32 PM
In one od Dave Taylor's posts, he expressed some confusion in the Boswell/Adams/Wheeler Tree. I have put a tree together, via Logic. My assumptions are noted, the facts came from Nicholas Crangle's Statement to the Provost Marshal.
"Father Boswell" m "Mother Boswell." (names not known). They had William and Elizabeth Boswell (brother and sister). Elizabeth married 1. Charles H. Wheeler. They had five girls (Mary, June, Nancy, etc.)
Wheeler died 1853. Elizabeth m 2, Henry O. Rose, no children, He dies. Elizabeth took up with Atzerodt, they had Edith.
OK here comes Adams. I think "Father Boswell" died somewhere about 1840, and "Mother Boswell" married "Mr. Adams." They had Margaret and James Adams. Half Brother and Half sister to William and Elizabeth. I don't know if Elizabeth Boswell assumed the Adams name as her last name, or adopted it as her middle name. She used both cases at one time or another, sometimes in combination with Wheeler.
(When Crangle mentions Mrs. Wheeler, in his statement, he isn't sure exactly what her relationship is - to his wife Margaret Adams.)

I searched Nicholas B. Crangle after the war, to see if he stayed with Elizabeth for any length of time, - to see if he adopted Edith. No record of such. He did marry a Nannie Crangle and lived in D.C. until he died about 1878, (Nannie s shown as WID. of Nicholas.) To close her out - she married a George Lucas. That was lucky for me, because she is referred to as Nancy Newton, and Naomie Newton. Nancy Newton was b MD 1849. Her Mother was E. B. Newton.

My request for a Death Certificate for Edith Crangle, to NYC ,bounced, because I did not provide the correct numbers on a credit card. That has been corrected, now we wait some more.
07-26-2014, 10:32 PM
It finally dawned on me , that if I send for Nicholas Crangle's marriage License, it may give me his wife's mother's name. That would be Elizabeth Wheeler's, and her brother William, mother's name. Also maybe some ID of Mr. Adams. Virginia says 6 to 8 weeks delay. thus an answer by OCTOBER.
07-26-2014, 10:42 PM
(07-26-2014 10:32 PM)SSlater Wrote:  It finally dawned on me , that if I send for Nicholas Crangle's marriage License, it may give me his wife's mother's name. That would be Elizabeth Wheeler's, and her brother William, mother's name. Also maybe some ID of Mr. Adams. Virginia says 6 to 8 weeks delay. thus an answer by OCTOBER.

John,

Elizabeth's mother's name was Ann. I don't know what her maiden name was. Her second husband was James Adams SR. (1794-1859). After her husband died Ann Adams lived with her son James Jr. She's living with him in the 1860 and 1870 censuses. In 1880 she is not living with him and likely dead. Ann was born about 1802.

Still, Get Crangle's marriage record if you can. I'd love to see it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Dave and John -

I can perhaps get your records from Virginia sooner - I work right across the street from the Virginia State Library - let me know exactly what you need. I've accessed their records and gotten what I need on my lunch hour. They have marriage, birth and death records and I know exactly where they're located.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-27-2014, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 10:47 PM by SSlater.)
(07-26-2014 10:42 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(07-26-2014 10:32 PM)SSlater Wrote:  It finally dawned on me , that if I send for Nicholas Crangle's marriage License, it may give me his wife's mother's name. That would be Elizabeth Wheeler's, and her brother William, mother's name. Also maybe some ID of Mr. Adams. Virginia says 6 to 8 weeks delay. thus an answer by OCTOBER.

John,

Elizabeth's mother's name was Ann. I don't know what her maiden name was. Her second husband was James Adams SR. (1794-1859). After her husband died Ann Adams lived with her son James Jr. She's living with him in the 1860 and 1870 censuses. In 1880 she is not living with him and likely dead. Ann was born about 1802.

Still, Get Crangle's marriage record if you can. I'd love to see it.
Thanx 4 that info. DO you know Elizabeth's Father's name? and anything about him? I am trying to get a lead on William's marriage (Mary Fullerton), so, I thought that would help. The request for Crangle's Certificate has been mailed.
PS. I was in New York about 10 days ago and applied for Sarah's marriage to Mr. Long. They have no record. So, maybe Sarah "Took" the name to hide behind. Mr Long never showed up in any records or in her household, thus I went to the source for a record there is NONE. She did use the name Long when she married Spencer in 1912 +/-.(All these shananegans in NY.

Betty O. Give it a try. I'm good for the costs. Nicholas B. Crangle married Margaret Adams on March 15, 1860 in Arlington, VA. I hope the certificate has parents names on it.
08-25-2014, 11:42 PM
(07-13-2014 12:15 AM)SSlater Wrote:  This search is a mess. I hope we can make sense - someday.

I think we all agree that George Atzerodt and Elizabeth Adams Boswell were "an item" in Port Tobacco in the early 1860's, and they had a daughter, EDITH. My goal is to find Edith.

Do we all believe that Elizabeth had been married to Charles H Wheeler? and had 5 children - all girls. He died in 1853.

Then a Henry O. Rose, of D.C., occupied the other half of Elizabeth's "Beauty rest" for awhile. There is a Henry O. Rose shown in the D.C. City Directory (I didn't find a wife.) He was a Clerk/ Book Keeper at the Nat. Bank of Washington.

Then along came George Atzerodt, who did not marry Elizabeth, but he won her heart and they had Edith. But he apparently dumped her long before April of 1865. I base that statement on her remarks to the Provost Marshal, after her arrest. The Marshall was looking for Atzerodt, but she would not squeal on him. She said she still loved him and would not betray him. This grubby reticent George, who is not an Errol Flynn, must have been pretty good at what he did. I guess he got her pregnant, but wasn't a Fatherly type.

Up to this exact point, I believed that the little girl was his motive for all the that he did. I thought he wanted to raise her and give her a good life. I was wrong.

The Marshal realized the George was long gone, so he arrested the person who was her current kanoodler, a Mr. Nicholas Crangle.

Naturally, he gives a Statement to the Marshalls. He said he married "Miss Adams, which was Mrs. W's maiden name." IMO, his belief is all wrong. She was Elizabeth Adams Boswell. Notice that when she married Wheeler, she became Elizabeth B. (for Boswell) Wheeler. Typically, when a lady marries, she assumes her maiden name as her new middle name - but not always. It is her choice.

Now that Crangle married Elizabeth, how did he deal with Edith? Did he adopt her -formally or informally? I donno. But, I assume that Elizabeth took the Crangle name. I have no idea if Elizabeth continued to change her bed partner every time they changed the sheets, but I am searching for Elizabeth Crangle now. That applies to Edith too. I have found that an EDITH CRANGLE, BORN 1863, died in New York, New York on 19 Oct. 1898. (Nothing more said.)

PS. If anyone would like to look further, or differently, feel free to Quote, or use, this information. I am busy with Sarah.

I have nothing new on Edith - no reply yet. But I have N. B. Crangle's Certificate of Marriage to Margaret Adams. Remember - Margaret was half sister to Elizabeth (Atzerodt's Sweetie)
Date of marriage March 15, 1860
Place of Marriage Arlington, VA
Husband N. B. Crangle [/b]Wife Marg't Adams
Race Not Stated Not Stated
Age 29 20
Single Single Single
Birth England Charles Co. MD
Residance Alexandria Alexandria
ParentsJohn and Henrietta John B. and Chloe
Occupation Farmer
(skip some blab)
Page8 Line 18
Date Filed March 11, 1861

Note: He was married to Margaret in 1860. The papers were filed in 1861. So when he when he went to Port Tobacco after the assassination, and stayed with Elizabeth in 1865, he was single again,
but was a Brother-in law to Elizabeth - Uncle to Edith. (?). This puts a different light on his presence in Port Tobacco.
08-27-2014, 12:25 AM
(08-25-2014 11:42 PM)SSlater Wrote:  
(07-13-2014 12:15 AM)SSlater Wrote:  This search is a mess. I hope we can make sense - someday.

I have nothing new on Edith - no reply yet. But I have N. B. Crangle's Certificate of Marriage to Margaret Adams. Remember - Margaret was half sister to Elizabeth (Atzerodt's Sweetie)
Date of marriage March 15, 1860
Place of Marriage Arlington, VA
Husband N. B. Crangle [/b]Wife Marg't Adams
Race Not Stated Not Stated
Age 29 20
Single Single Single
Birth England Charles Co. MD
Residance Alexandria Alexandria
ParentsJohn and Henrietta John B. and Chloe
Occupation Farmer
(skip some blab)
Page8 Line 18
Date Filed March 11, 1861

Note: He was married to Margaret in 1860. The papers were filed in 1861. So when he when he went to Port Tobacco after the assassination, and stayed with Elizabeth in 1865, he was single again,
but was a Brother-in law to Elizabeth - Uncle to Edith. (?). This puts a different light on his presence in Port Tobacco.
Note to Dave Taylor. This is too, too, confusing. If Margaret and Elizabeth are half-sisters, then this shows her mother was Chloe.
I found several Chloe Boswells in Charles County. But she married 1st John B. Martin, 2nd Henry Martin. There must have been some more marriages in this line, that I can't find. Take a hack at it, if you will PLEZZ. (PS. DO you want a copy of the certificate??)