07-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Unbroken
A must read. Sad to hear of Mr. Zamperini's passing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/04/arts/l....html?_r=0
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2014, 05:20 AM
RE: Unbroken
Great story, Dan. Thanks for posting this. I look forward to the movie. As a person who ran track in high school I am quite amazed at his record time of 4 minutes 21.2 seconds would last as the high school record for 20 years. It's a great time that I could not come close to, but I am still surprised it lasted that long as the record.
12-13-2014, 06:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2014 01:45 PM by LincolnMan.)
Looking forward to seeing this film. It opens on Christmas day. There was an article how the movie in one of my recent American Legion magazines. One of the things mentioned is that Ms. Jolie brought a lap top computer to his hospital bed so that he could see the completed film before he died. Very touching.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Outstanding story!I was a shot-putter in high school and college,and I was beaten by the Olympic champion.My uncle was a waist-gunner in a B-24 in WW-2,and killed over Austria.I never got to meet my uncle,which was very unfortunate for me.
12-13-2014, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2014 12:27 PM by Gene C.)
Thanks for posting. The other day I was reading a book where the author had meet Mr Zamperini. Five minutes later a commercial came on the TV about the movie. When my son comes home from school over the holidays, we are going to see this movie. It sounds very inspirational.
My father has served in WW II as a pilot of a B-17 bomber. The plane was shot down (he was the sole survivor) and then once on the ground he was shot in the stomach as he was surrendering to a German officer and left for dead on the side of the road. He spent over two years in a German prison camp.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-19-2014, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2014 01:32 PM by Linda Anderson.)
There is a terrific article in the New York Times on Laura Hillanbrand, the author of Unbroken. She has suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome for many years and still managed to write Unbroken as well as the wonderful Seabiscuit. "Through a combination of new drugs and physical therapy, Hillenbrand has suppressed many of the worst symptoms, but she is still plagued by chronic vertigo."

Interestingly, a commentator named Robert Hughes mentions Lincoln.

"I was thrilled to see that the amazingly gifted Laura Hillenbrand loves to listen to audiobooks. It's true: they give you a new appreciation of style, a new insight to rhythm and music of sentences. Lincoln, our finest writer-president, read everything aloud, even the newspaper. It was a key to understanding how the peculiar "Lincoln music" developed. The written word is the spoken word and writers who realize this produce something marvelous. And Laura Hillenbrand's marvelous prose is a marvelous gift to us."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/magazi...dule=photo

12-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Great book-we plan on seeing the movie tomorrow
12-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Donna and I are seeing the movie tomorrow too.

Bill Nash
12-25-2014, 08:04 AM
I am planning on seeing the movie also!
12-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Saw the movie! Very well done. Intense, brutal depiction of war and POW camps. Not a film for young children. Made me appreciate even more our WWII miltary- and all those who served past, present, and future.

Bill Nash
12-25-2014, 05:38 PM
When I was a child, a neighbor and friend of my parents was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. He could have been the poster child for PTSD. His face alone always "spoke" to people of the horrors he had gone through.
12-25-2014, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2014 04:21 PM by HerbS.)
The movie was Fantstic! The diaries of POW's that I have read,truely show,Man's Inhumanity to Man!Yesterday,I visited at the VA. hospital.I met a Marine vet[24 yrs old] who suffers from PTSD[Afganistan].He is a very sad"basket-case".I brought tears to my eyes.I went today to see the movie again.Things are always better a 2nd time around!The movie was,real,moving,and inspirational!
12-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Still haven't seen the movie, when we tried on Christmas day, they were sold out.
Here is the only slightly negative comment on the movie I've read. For those who have read the book and seen the movie, I'd be interested in your comments.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/12/2...=obnetwork

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-30-2014, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2014 08:27 AM by HerbS.)
Thanks Gene,Fox News is not a credible source for my taste!He was victim of his Demons!
12-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Whoa, Herb. This is not about Fox News but about the writer of the comment, Cal Thomas. If you want to make the same statement about him, then you are on the actual target.