Interview with Civil War Veteran
07-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Interview with Civil War Veteran
Many thanks to Joe Banning for sending this fascinating link. It's a recording of a 1954 interview with the last surviving Union Civil War veteran. He was 107 at the time of the interview and difficult to understand, but it's still fascinating just to hear his voice.

CLICK HERE.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Interview with Civil War Veteran
It certainly is fascinating to hear the voice of a civil war veteran.

For those interested, I found a copy of Mr. Woolson's obit from the New York Times at the following website:

http://localhistory.morrisville.edu/site...olson.html
07-01-2014, 11:13 AM
It's always grand to hear the past "voices of history!"

Thanks ever so very, very much for posting this! I always feel as though I wish I could have talked to these grand old gentlemen about life in the Victorian/CW era!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-01-2014, 04:01 PM
STS Lincolninte- mentions in" The Univ of Morrisville link" that Mr.Woolson suceeded James Hard of Rochester,NY as the oldest Civil War Vet.I got to meet Mr.Hard and his son,after the Memorial Day Parade!His son and I were members of the Son's of Union War Veterans.-Herb
07-02-2014, 08:05 AM
(07-01-2014 04:01 PM)HerbS Wrote:  STS Lincolninte- mentions in" The Univ of Morrisville link" that Mr.Woolson suceeded James Hard of Rochester,NY as the oldest Civil War Vet.I got to meet Mr.Hard and his son,after the Memorial Day Parade!His son and I were members of the Son's of Union War Veterans.-Herb

Wow! That must be quite a memory and what a thrill! I have a friend who about 10 years ago met a Civil War widow in Corinth, MS (one of those 18 year old girls who married an 80 year old vet) but have never known anyone to actually have met/spoken to a Civil War veteran. I am jealous!
07-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Great memories!His son was older than I was at the time[I was 9yrs-old].Then he and I were in "Son's",together,but,everyone died and the organization vanished in Rochester,NY.-Herb
07-04-2014, 02:30 PM
(07-01-2014 09:56 AM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  It certainly is fascinating to hear the voice of a civil war veteran.

For those interested, I found a copy of Mr. Woolson's obit from the New York Times at the following website:

http://localhistory.morrisville.edu/site...olson.html

Apparently, Mr. Albert Woolson was also the last living person to have voted for President Lincoln in 1864.

Obituary of Albert Woolson (February 1, 1847 - August 2, 1956) from The New York Times, August 2, 1956:

"The aged veteran liked to say that he was born a Republican. He voted for President Lincoln when he was 17 under a special dispensation that gave the ballot to soldiers."

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
07-04-2014, 06:35 PM
I didn't know they did that with the vote. Good for them!

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Gene, Just a little political ploy to make sure that Mr. Lincoln won the closely contended 1864 election - and they did not have to be in their home state to vote.