Words from Dr. Richard Mudd
06-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Words from Dr. Richard Mudd
Years ago someone sent me a newspaper from one of my former hometowns- Monterey, Tennessee. The paper is the Standing Stone Press (Winter 1984. Dr. Richard D. Mudd, grandson of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd has an article on the front page: Dr. Samuel A. Mudd- Not Guilty.

I just started reading the article and find it fascinating. Here is an excerpt where Dr. Richard Mudd refers to himself:

"It is difficult for me to understand why I became willing to carry on a crusade to clear my grandfather's name. I have never been able to escape the story. It was born in me and will undoubtedly continue to color my life. On January 24th, 1901, I was born on the very street that John Wilkes Booth rode his horse on that foggy misty night, 35 years, 9 months, and 10 days previously, in fact Good Friday, April 14, 1865. Good Hope Road, known as Harrison Street in 1901, was a muddy, rutted carriage lane..."

Mudd goes on to state much more of his reflections on what it was like for him because of his name, the troubles his father had for the same reason, and why he came to conclude that his grandfather was not guilty. Great stuff!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2014, 03:53 PM
RE: Words from Dr. Richard Mudd
Today is father's Day. so I am feeling benevolent.
Being called GUILTY. or being called a Patriot, are separate awards, doled out by whomever is talking. Actually, he could have been called Guilty of being a Patriot.
IMO This applies to Dr. Mudd. I think I can understand Mudd's position. He was part of an Abduction Plan, assigned to administer to the comfort and physical condition of the President.
Then along comes a man with a broken leg - 'OOps! that was not shown in my edition of the script, but I am a Doctor."
Is it GUILTY to being a Southern Sympathizer? Lot's ofthem were never charged.
If his name needs clearing - clear it of being UNTHINKING.

Happy Father's day - to those who have earned that title, and to those who are working on the title.
Find all posts by this user
06-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Oh, John, your reference to being "Guilty of being a Patriot" is a very good one. However, I feel the firestorm starting once again. I still bear the scars from the last. I'm seeking shelter...
06-16-2014, 05:19 AM
(06-15-2014 01:46 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Dr. Richard D. Mudd, grandson of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd has an article on the front page: Dr. Samuel A. Mudd- Not Guilty.

Back in 1999 a young lady interviewed Dr. Richard Mudd. She kindly sent me a cassette tape of that interview. I was truly amazed that the gentleman, at age 98, was incredibly articulate in his arguments.
06-16-2014, 06:11 AM
Do you still have that tape Roger? That is certainly a treasure. It's part of the Lincoln lore history. Personally, I don't have any cassette players anymore. You could get the taper transferred to a CD.

Bill Nash
06-16-2014, 06:34 AM
Yes, I still have the tape, but we no longer own any device to play it on!
06-16-2014, 07:39 AM
There are places where this can be done for a fee. It seems certainly worthwhile to do. Maybe a transcription could also be done and posted online- just brainstorming.

Bill Nash
06-16-2014, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 07:51 AM by Gene C.)
(06-15-2014 03:53 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Today is father's Day. so I am feeling benevolent.
Being called GUILTY. or being called a Patriot, are separate awards, doled out by whomever is talking. Actually, he could have been called Guilty of being a Patriot.
IMO This applies to Dr. Mudd. I think I can understand Mudd's position. He was part of an Abduction Plan, assigned to administer to the comfort and physical condition of the President.
Then along comes a man with a broken leg - 'OOps! that was not shown in my edition of the script, but I am a Doctor."

Happy Father's day - to those who have earned that title, and to those who are working on the title.

Now that fathers day is over...I politely disagree. .Mudd's actions the night that Booth showed up on his doorstep isn't the problem. It's the intentional deception to Union authorities that followed, and assisting Booth to escape. His actions plagued his family for several generations following that night. He made himself an accessory to Lincoln's assassination because of his actions, and brought unnecessary hardship to his family. He had a little time to think over what he should do. I am glad he was able to redeem himself somewhat in the yellow fever epidemic at Ft. Jefferson. Just my opinion.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-16-2014, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 08:13 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(06-16-2014 07:39 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  There are places where this can be done for a fee. It seems certainly worthwhile to do. Maybe a transcription could also be done and posted online- just brainstorming.
(I could transfer it into mp3 and ship the tape back, of course, but most likely it's easier to transfer it somewhere nearby.)
06-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Bill and Eva, many thanks. I will look into this!
06-16-2014, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 05:04 PM by Gene C.)
I believe Crosley makes a casette, turntable, cd player that can also record casettes and records onto a cd.

http://www.crosleyradio.com/Turntables

Check out "the Director". Around Christmas time, or the after Chrismas sales, you can usually find one for at department stores for less.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Gene.
06-16-2014, 04:24 PM
I know I would like to have a copy, as others would I'm sure.

Bill Nash
06-16-2014, 05:21 PM
I have software which I use on my turntable while connecting my laptop to it. It does a wonderful job of converting CDs into MP3's....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-17-2014, 03:30 PM
(06-16-2014 07:47 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(06-15-2014 03:53 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Today is father's Day. so I am feeling benevolent.

Now that fathers day is over...I politely disagree. .Mudd's actions the night that Booth showed up on his doorstep isn't the problem. It's the intentional deception to Union authorities that followed, and assisting Booth to escape. His actions plagued his family for several generations following that night. He made himself an accessory to Lincoln's assassination because of his actions, and brought unnecessary hardship to his family. He had a little time to think over what he should do. I am glad he was able to redeem himself somewhat in the yellow fever epidemic at Ft. Jefferson. Just my opinion.
Gene C. You did not disagree, politely or otherwise. You confirmed my position, and I could not have said it better.
I see it that Mudd was a sympathizer earlier on, but when things got nasty, he wanted no part of it, but was imposed upon.