Did You Remember?
05-30-2014, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 12:04 PM by L Verge.)
Did You Remember?
"In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he...
05/30/2014 10:47 AM EDT

"In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever." Beneath these words, the 16th President of the United States sits immortalized in marble as an enduring symbol of unity, strength, and wisdom.

It was on this date in 1922, that the Lincoln Memorial was dedicated.

There is a great photo of the Memorial at sunset that came with this link. I'll send to Roger to see if he can get it to post.

No problem, Laurie. Indeed it's a great photo!

[Image: lmemorial1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2014, 02:25 PM
RE: Did You Remember?
Do we remember this date in 1922? I don't think do! Anyway, cool reminder Laurie of what did happen on this day.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2014, 03:36 AM
I remember when I first visited the Lincoln Memorial when I was 6-7 years old. I was very excited, convinced that the great man was buried underneath his statue. I recall being crushed on learning that he was not.Dodgy

It's very beautiful, but absolutely nothing compares to seeing it at night by moonlight...incredible!

I was furious and sickened last year when that crazy woman defaced it...you can still see traces of green paint!Angry
05-31-2014, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 10:34 AM by L Verge.)
Didn't Eva post a photo of the Memorial that she took at night? I agree that it is wonderful at night, and the tourists are fewer and actually more reverent of their surroundings at night.

For awhile about thirty years or so ago, you could actually take tours of the Memorial underground. They were basically flashlight tours with Park Rangers, and you could see minor stalagtites and stalagmites, signatures and comments left by the workmen in ca. 1920, etc. I'm not sure why they were discontinued - other than it seemed like a liability issue to me.
05-31-2014, 10:28 AM
It's a gorgeous photo you posted, Laurie! No, mine was not at night, it was after snowfall:

05-31-2014, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 10:56 AM by LincolnToddFan.)
Oh gosh Eva E., ....that is soo pretty! Like a postcard. In fact both your photo and Laurie's above would make the loveliest postcards!

Laurie how I would be fascinated to read the comments left by the workmen in 1920!
05-31-2014, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 06:19 PM by Angela.)
"I agree that it is wonderful at night, and the tourists are fewer and actually more reverent of their surroundings at night."

There are some nights when the tourists are not even just FEWER but simply not there and you can have it to yourself for two hours. My very best experience in D.C. - EVER!

@LincolnToddFan - the paint is still visible??? That is so sad and I hope that they can clean it off one day!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Wow, Angela! (I assume if you post what [night]time it was, that will become the new peak hour.) Well, when I was there on that snowy day in March, there were about 10 other tourists at ~10 AM. (I have no idea how many there are usually.) Also it was very quiet as the snow absorbed almost all "environmental" noise. As little as I appreciate snow and winter - this was touching.
05-31-2014, 08:50 PM
(05-31-2014 06:16 PM)Angela Wrote:  "I agree that it is wonderful at night, and the tourists are fewer and actually more reverent of their surroundings at night."

There are some nights when the tourists are not even just FEWER but simply not there and you can have it to yourself for two hours. My very best experience in D.C. - EVER!

@LincolnToddFan - the paint is still visible??? That is so sad and I hope that they can clean it off one day!

Yes angela...I saw news video of President Obama at the Memorial a few months ago and unfortunately there were faint green stains still visible at the base of the statue of seated Lincoln. Due to the type of marble/stone used it is simply not possible to completely clean it off without damaging it further. I also hope that someday the Memorial can be restored to gleaming perfection.Sad
06-02-2014, 03:10 PM
@Eva - You got SUCH a great shot, I'm jealous! I've never seen it in the snow and it must be magical! I agree - better keep those under wraps on a public forum, but I'll share the date and time, OF COURSE, via pm! Nothing like having this place to yourself!

@LincolnToddFan - I have not seen that particular video but it makes me sad to hear how difficult it'll be to clean it up. It is such a beautiful place and hopefully they find a way to return it to all its glory! I'll be there this fall and take a look.
06-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Eva -

What a wonderful photograph! The snowy scene is indescribably beautiful -
thanks so much for posting - it gives a new insight to this already breath-taking monument.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I haven't been there in decades. I had forgotten just how enormous the statue of Lincoln is!

I was online a couple of years ago and was reading a giddy college girl's account of how she and her boyfriend and a group of other kids slipped into the Monument in the middle of the night when no one was around. They took turns hoisting one another onto Abe's knees and giving him smooches and taking photos. They had all been drinking, and I simply have no idea how they pulled it off without anyone being injured or worse.

I thought the park police patrolled the Mall all night?Huh
06-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Another day that I hope you have remembered -- today is the 70th anniversary of D-Day. One of our D.C. news channels interviewed a 97-year-old survivor of that mighty invasion. His description of what he encountered and the horrible body count on the beaches was identical to what was portrayed in Saving Pvt. Ryan.

This gentleman was a young lawyer when he entered the service and served with distinction until the end of the war. He then continued in the law field as a prosecutor and also moved up in political ranks until he eventually headed the IRS under President Kennedy. He still practices law today -- and looks more like 77 than 97!
06-06-2014, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 12:50 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
Yes Laurie, I have been watching the commemorations online and on the news all week. It's making me very emotional. Soon these men and women will all be gone as they are-quite literally-a rapidly dying breed.

On CNN last Thursday there was a TV special. A Mississippian
who landed at Omaha Beach came back to the American military cemetery in Normandy to locate the grave of his commanding officer, a New Yorker who didn't make it. The aged Southerner stood at the marker of his dead Yankee commander and cried and cried. It was so moving that I cried with him. It's moments like those that make me so grateful that our country was not allowed to splinter and that it remained ONE nation after 1865.

I believe in Providence.

Tom Brokaw was never more correct than when he coined the WWII generation The Greatest Generation. The men who landed on that beach KNEW they were more than likely going to be slaughtered and yet they jumped.

I still can't wrap my mind around their courage.
06-06-2014, 01:24 PM
I am blessed and honored to have a D-Day veteran as a patient. He is seeing me after all those years for PTSD. It seems like yesterday to him. And, despite, his age- his mind is as sharp as a tack. God bless them all. They are the real heroes.
Yesterday, during a full day of therapy- I saw 11 patients. Out of the 11 patients, only one knew what D-Day was.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user