Killing Patton
05-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Killing Patton
Bill O'Reilly announced on his TV show last night that his next book will be entitled Killing Patton. I hope it is a good book. I am an admirer of George Patton. I fear that with a general public that knows little about a Lincoln or Washington- it knows even less about Patton.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2014, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 12:47 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Killing Patton
George Patton died from injuries sustained in an automobile accident in Germany. He was paralized, and died from complications. A decision had been made to move him back to the states, but he died before they did this. A TV movie was made several years ago staring George C Scott about this.

Unrelated to the movie is this:
http://www.heroesatmargraten.com/the-dea...atton.html

I've seen the car at the Patton Museum at Ft. Knox. An interesting museum and well worth a visit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/26329029@N06/6850043739/

If Fox News and O'Really are going to continue in this vein, they are seriously damaging their credibility. I know some of you think they never had it in the first place. Where's Geraldo when you need him? Remember Al Capone's vault?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
05-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Mr. O. made a statement that went something to the effect that if you think you know how Patton died- you don't.

Oh boy, what is he hinting at? Murder?
We shall see. Gene, oh yes- I remember the vault escapade very well!

Bill Nash
05-31-2014, 06:19 AM
Unfortunately, it sounds like Mr. O'Reilly is going to beat the "Patton was murdered" drum. There have been two major theories that Patton was murdered, both hold no water. When these rumors started back in the late 40's-early 50's, Mrs. Patton hired the best investigators money could buy. The family wanted to get all the facts, and were willing to accept the results of an investigation, regardless of the direction it went in. There was no evidence, just very wild theories.

Mrs. Patton and the children were given a full report on a very complete investigation. The report was accepted by the family and steadfastly believe that "Georgie" died as the result of an accident, plain and simple.

Three of the grandchildren, Bob Patton, Ben Patton and Jamie Totten have separately written or edited books about the family and have all the same opinion that the murder theories are not credible in the least. About a year or so ago, Brad Metzger did an hour long show that the General was murdered. They had Helen Patton Plusczyk, Bob and Ben's sister on the show saying the family was always concerned and believed that there was something behind the theories. Helen is an actress and his was TV. It was edited down to sound like her grandmother felt there was a plot. Remember, Metzger did a show about "the body in the barn", and Mr. O'Reilly eluded to Stanton being involved in the assassination.

Patton's death was an accident.
05-31-2014, 06:29 AM
Jim: great answer. The movie Patton has always been a favorite of mine. Do you know if family members were involved in it in some way? Did they approve of it?

Bill Nash
05-31-2014, 07:10 AM
The Patton family loved the movie. George C. Scott offered his Oscar to the Patton family, they refused. A great book that gives terrific insight into the family and insight into what made George S. Patton, Jr. the man he was is "The Pattons, A Personal History of an American Family" by Robert H. Patton. Bob also just published his 5th book, "Hell Before Breakfast". It's a great book on the early war correspondents.
05-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, Jim, but aren't you part of the Patton family?
05-31-2014, 09:49 AM
Jim: do you know if Mr. O consulted with Patton family members for his upcoming book? I'm very glad to hear that they loved the movie. Personally, I never tire of watching it.

Bill Nash
05-31-2014, 10:09 AM
My uncle served under Patton and would have followed him into the fires of hell.

Wouldn't you love to know what some of our great, military leaders of the past would have to say about how things are handled now?
05-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Robert is a great guy. Jim took me to lunch with him in CT. We talked book publishing and had a very nice time. Then Jim and I went to see Mary Surratt's hair... and Geronimo's ponytail!
05-31-2014, 03:23 PM
(05-31-2014 10:09 AM)L Verge Wrote:  My uncle served under Patton and would have followed him into the fires of hell.

Wouldn't you love to know what some of our great, military leaders of the past would have to say about how things are handled now?

Laurie: the vets I have talked to over the years that served under Parton all have said the same thing your uncle said. He was a true leader and didn't tolerate political correctness- which was also his downfall at times.

Bill Nash
05-31-2014, 05:30 PM
I think that Patton married into the Colt family.One the residents at the Senior Citizen Center-who is a WW2 Vet[94yr old-Combat Photographer-Respected Patton].He told us how he stepped on Patton's foot by accident in an airplane.Patton said,"Your excused-now take my GD picture".He said he was so affraid he was frozen in time!
05-31-2014, 08:36 PM
Great story Herb- sounds exactly like Patton.

Bill Nash
05-31-2014, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 08:48 PM by Jim Garrett.)
(05-31-2014 09:43 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Correct me if I'm wrong, Jim, but aren't you part of the Patton family?

Yes Laurie. It seems all old Virginia families inter-married....extensively. I am related through both the Waller and Tazewell families. Also, my second cousin was married to his daughter, Ruth Ellen. I lived with Ruth Ellen while I went to school in Massachusetts. Of the three Patton children, she was the most like her father. She was truly a remarkable person. She was my second mother. Likewise, her youngest son, Jamie Totten, lived at our while he attended Episcopal High School and VMI. My mother was his second mother.

Every veteran that I've encountered who served under General Patton, take/took great pride in serving in Patton's army. While in no way, am I disparaging Marshall, McArthur, Bradley, etc, you just don't hear old soldiers say, "I served in Ike's army or Bradley's Army, etc.

I venture to say if you asked any military historian, from any continent, who are the top ten greatest generals in history, George Patton would be on almost every list.
06-30-2014, 06:50 AM
(05-31-2014 08:43 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 09:43 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Correct me if I'm wrong, Jim, but aren't you part of the Patton family?

Yes Laurie. It seems all old Virginia families inter-married....extensively. I am related through both the Waller and Tazewell families. Also, my second cousin was married to his daughter, Ruth Ellen. I lived with Ruth Ellen while I went to school in Massachusetts. Of the three Patton children, she was the most like her father. She was truly a remarkable person. She was my second mother. Likewise, her youngest son, Jamie Totten, lived at our while he attended Episcopal High School and VMI. My mother was his second mother.

Every veteran that I've encountered who served under General Patton, take/took great pride in serving in Patton's army. While in no way, am I disparaging Marshall, McArthur, Bradley, etc, you just don't hear old soldiers say, "I served in Ike's army or Bradley's Army, etc.

I venture to say if you asked any military historian, from any continent, who are the top ten greatest generals in history, George Patton would be on almost every list.

My wife's uncle died last year. He served under Patton. I had the opportunity to talk to him about a year before he died about his service. He was in the Battle of the Bulge and sustained feet injuries that would trouble him the rest of his life due to exposure from the cold in the battle. He, like other veterans, spoke highly of Patton. He said that despite some of the trouble he got into politically, they all knew he was the "best d*** General the army had-bar none."

Bill Nash