Happy Birthday Linda!
05-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Happy Birthday Linda!
Happy Birthday, Linda!

Hope you had a wonderful Day!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2014, 10:32 PM
RE: Happy Birthday Linda!
Happy Birthday and thanks, I've learned about Seward & Fannie, (Fannie's diary) things about them & their families, and so many interesting little things, mainly because of you.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-19-2014, 12:35 AM
It's late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDA!!Smile
05-19-2014, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 07:11 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Happy birthday, Linda! All the best to you!
05-19-2014, 04:40 AM
Happy Birthday, Linda! Have a good one!
05-19-2014, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 08:51 AM by J. Beckert.)
Happy Birthday, Linda!!!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Happy Birthday-Linda
05-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Happy Birthday, Linda! Always enjoy reading your posts!
05-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Thank you all so much for your birthday wishes! That's a great cartoon of Seward, Betty. Did you draw it yourself? I read in Our One Common Country that Preston Blair was known to refer to Seward as "Billy Bowlegs." I'm glad you enjoy learning about the Sewards, Gene!

I had a wonderful weekend sightseeing with my best friend in Vermont. We saw Robert Todd Lincoln's home, Hildene, on Saturday.The views of the mountains and valleys are incredible. In addition to the house and grounds, they have restored a Pullman car which you can tour. There is also a little history on the Pullman porters.

We also visited the Robert Frost Stone House Museum in Shaftsbury where he wrote "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening." I got a kick out of reading about people's reactions to the poem. Frost writes about his little horse:

"He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake."

One pretentious professor asked Frost if he thought horses could ask questions to which someone in the audience replied, "They ask better questions than professors."

Thank you, Joe, for all your help in planning our trip. We never would have had such a good time without your advice.
05-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Linda.Have you ever been to Pullman Island in the 1000 Islands?RTL used to go there to relax.-Herb
05-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Linda - Hope you found my birthday wish under the Lilacs... thread that is, not the bushes.

Interesting that Seward should have the same nickname as John Wilkes Booth - "Billy Bowlegs."
05-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Laurie, I hadn't seen your birthday wish under the lilac thread. Thank you very much! I'll share some photos soon. I took one from the back of Hildene with lilacs blooming on the side.

Herb, I haven't been to Pullman Island. Did he stay at Castle Rest?

I looked Pullman up. He had quite a life. The following is from the Pullman Museum site. Mrs. Lincoln did not go on the funeral train.

"After President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in April, 1865, his body was transported by the so-called “Lonesome Train” to Springfield for burial. From Washington, the funeral train bearing his body started west by slow stages. Across the country, mourners lined the tracks. By the time the cortege reached Chicago, Mrs. Lincoln collapsed. When arrangements had to be made for her return directly to Springfield, Pullman made his new Pioneer sleeper available. Pullman, a genius for public relations and a shrewd and intrepid businessman, so intrigued Andrew Carnegie that he became Pullman’s largest investor."

http://www.pullman-museum.org/theMan/
05-20-2014, 01:28 AM
(05-19-2014 05:14 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  We also visited the Robert Frost Stone House Museum in Shaftsbury where he wrote "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening." I got a kick out of reading about people's reactions to the poem. Frost writes about his little horse:

"He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake."

One pretentious professor asked Frost if he thought horses could ask questions to which someone in the audience replied, "They ask better questions than professors."

Happy Birthday, Linda! (a little late as usual ... )

My new baby grandson, Sam, was born in the early morning hours of March 26th. We had had snow all evening, and Mommy and Daddy had a long drive down a long dark road through the woods in it, to get to the hospital. When we realized the next morning that it was Robert Frost's birthday, it just seemed somehow so fitting. And, of course, Grammy had to send him his own copy of the "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" children's book she loves to read to her other babies at school.
05-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Congratulations, Dawn!!

Here's a photo of Robert Lincoln's grandson standing by Robert's private Pullman Palace car.

[Image: robert15.jpg]
05-20-2014, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 08:02 AM by J. Beckert.)
Congratulations on Sam, Dawn! I'm very happy for you!

An interesting thing about RTL's private car was it sat in the depot in Manchester, Vt.
all summer, entirely at his disposable, until it was needed. Sometimes it headed west to Chicago carrying only his completed paperwork for the Pullman Company.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"