Garfield Tomb Breakin
05-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Garfield Tomb Breakin
This happened Friday night, but this is the first I've heard of it.

http://fox8.com/2014/05/09/search-for-su...-break-in/

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 11:51 AM
RE: Garfield Tomb Breakin
(05-12-2014 11:08 AM)Gene C Wrote:  This happened Friday night, but this is the first I've heard of it.

http://fox8.com/2014/05/09/search-for-su...-break-in/

Thanks Gene C-

I've seen pictures of the Garfield Tomb but I never realized how really stately and impressive it is...indeed like an old church.

How can people be so brutish, so utterly without respect, as to invade someone tomb??! I hope they catch these creeps!Angry
05-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks for posting this Gene. Check eBay for commemorative spoons.
05-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Very sad to read this. I remember several years ago when President Lincoln's Tomb was vandalized. A copper sword was stolen from atop the tomb. Later an arrest was made and the sword recovered, but it was broken at the handle.
05-12-2014, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 02:10 PM by BettyO.)
A sad commentary on the state of civilzation nowadays.....

While there are many good folk in the world who do wonderful things, it seems that there are more and more self-centered jerks emerging from the "underworld"....just the other night in Petersburg, VA, the grave of an elderly woman was desecrated and the coffin actually exhumed because it was rumored that it contained $500.00 cash - not so; the lady was only buried with a $5.00 note in her hands.... how anyone can do such a thing is beyond comprehension. This was surely devastating for the family at Mother's Day.

It all simply boils down to sheer disrespectfulness in my opinion.... are people so desperate and hardened?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-12-2014, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 02:33 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
Betty, can you imagine how awful it must have been for that poor woman's family? On Mother's Day?Sad

Roger I did not know Lincoln's Tomb had been vandalized in recent years. What does this make now...the zillionth time?Undecided

I can't wrap my mind around the idea of desecrating anyone's grave. I am reading a book now called "The Sociopath Next Door" that estimates 1 IN EVERY 25 PEOPLE IS A SOCIOPATH. Varying degrees of pathology...bit still sociopathic. It's a disturbing read but in view of today's headlines nothing else makes sense...Huh
05-12-2014, 03:03 PM
(05-12-2014 02:30 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Roger I did not know Lincoln's Tomb had been vandalized in recent years. What does this make now...the zillionth time?Undecided

Hi Toia. Sadly, it has been a target before. Quoting from an article in Springfield's State Journal-Register:

...."the tomb suffers an incident of vandalism about once every decade, Blanchette said. The most glaring example was in 1987, when racist graffiti was spray-painted on the tomb. Five teenagers were arrested for the crime.

A security guard was stationed at the tomb overnight in response to that incident, Blanchette said. However, within a couple of years, budget problems forced lawmakers to eliminate the position, he said."
05-12-2014, 05:06 PM
(05-12-2014 02:30 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  I am reading a book now called "The Sociopath Next Door" that estimates 1 IN EVERY 25 PEOPLE IS A SOCIOPATH. Varying degrees of pathology...bit still sociopathic. It's a disturbing read but in view of today's headlines nothing else makes sense...Huh

Are you sure they're not just refering to members of congress Big Grin

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-12-2014, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 05:50 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
(05-12-2014 03:03 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 02:30 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Roger I did not know Lincoln's Tomb had been vandalized in recent years. What does this make now...the zillionth time?Undecided

Hi Toia. Sadly, it has been a target before. Quoting from an article in Springfield's State Journal-Register:

...."the tomb suffers an incident of vandalism about once every decade, Blanchette said. The most glaring example was in 1987, when racist graffiti was spray-painted on the tomb. Five teenagers were arrested for the crime.

A security guard was stationed at the tomb overnight in response to that incident, Blanchette said. However, within a couple of years, budget problems forced lawmakers to eliminate the position, he said."

I honestly thought the vandalism ended after RTL buried his poor father in cement! How on earth could the tomb be vandalized today...it's always got mobs of people! Miserable sociopathic little %$#!'s Let Lincoln finally rest in peace!Angry

(05-12-2014 05:06 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 02:30 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  I am reading a book now called "The Sociopath Next Door" that estimates 1 IN EVERY 25 PEOPLE IS A SOCIOPATH. Varying degrees of pathology...bit still sociopathic. It's a disturbing read but in view of today's headlines nothing else makes sense...Huh

Are you sure they're not just refering to members of congress Big Grin

Come to think about Gene you might be on to something! If I could afford to, I'd send each member a copy!Wink
05-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Amazing that anyone would do that. But there doesn't seem to be anything that is "sacred" anymore. The sword that was stolen from the Lincoln tomb was from one of the statues on the outside of the tomb. It was taken by a teenager who tried to sell it for scrap metal-bad idea.
The G.A.R. Grave markers that are placed at Union veterans graves are stolen all the time. They frequently are placed for auction on EBay. I also know I've mentioned this before but it applies here on this thread- a full size statue of Abraham Lincoln was stolen in Detroit years ago. It was damaged as a result. The thieves apparently could not sell it for scrap so they dumped it on an elementary schools front bushes- where it was recovered. By the way, I had attended the school as a kid. After costly repair, the statue was placed inside if Detroit's Main Library on Woodard Avenue.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-17-2014, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 10:32 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
The cemetery in which my mother, grandmother and several other family members are buried(Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus Ohio) predates the Civil War. It has quite a few famous people including James Thurber and Ohio governor/Lincoln Cabinet member William Dennison buried there, as well as a special section devoted to scores of Union dead.

Every year, usually around Halloween, punks make it a point to sneak in during the night and desecrate the fragile, decaying Civil War tombstones. A few have been so badly damaged that they have had to be replaced.Angry

I will never ever understand it, even if I live a hundred years.
05-18-2014, 11:49 AM
I take care of our Huntt family cemetery that dates to 1858, and contains about 30 graves. About ten years ago, a gang went in at night and toppled or broke about headstones that were over 100 years old. It costs nearly nearly $4000 to get repairs done. From that point on, there has been a padlock on the gate. Recently, we had someone cut through the chainlink fence that surrounds the grounds outside the ca. 1900 wrought-iron fence in order to steal three bronze grave vases.

The cemetery has been surrounded by commercial businesses over the years also, so it really is brazen to damage it -- but I'm sure that no one who sees anything wants to get involved anymore. I plan on being buried there, so those suckers better watch out when my ghost is on security patrol!
06-08-2014, 07:44 AM
(05-18-2014 11:49 AM)L Verge Wrote:  I take care of our Huntt family cemetery that dates to 1858, and contains about 30 graves. About ten years ago, a gang went in at night and toppled or broke about headstones that were over 100 years old. It costs nearly nearly $4000 to get repairs done. From that point on, there has been a padlock on the gate. Recently, we had someone cut through the chainlink fence that surrounds the grounds outside the ca. 1900 wrought-iron fence in order to steal three bronze grave vases.

The cemetery has been surrounded by commercial businesses over the years also, so it really is brazen to damage it -- but I'm sure that no one who sees anything wants to get involved anymore. I plan on being buried there, so those suckers better watch out when my ghost is on security patrol!

Is it a church cemetery? Is there anyone overseeing the property? How sad that someone would go to the lengths to cut through a lock to steal vases. I suppose it was to sell them for scrap. Any update on this?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2014, 10:15 AM
It is not a church cemetery. It was on the family's plantation that dated to the 1700s. Of course now, all of the surrounding acreage has been sold off over the years and is mainly commercial. The cemetery is surrounded by a convenience store, a strip mall, and a liquor store. I am the overseer and pay to have it maintained. Cutting through the chainlink recently cost me $250 in repairs. I doubt those three vases brought that much on the salvage market.
06-08-2014, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 09:00 PM by Craig Hipkins.)
(05-17-2014 11:30 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Amazing that anyone would do that. But there doesn't seem to be anything that is "sacred" anymore. The sword that was stolen from the Lincoln tomb was from one of the statues on the outside of the tomb. It was taken by a teenager who tried to sell it for scrap metal-bad idea.
The G.A.R. Grave markers that are placed at Union veterans graves are stolen all the time. They frequently are placed for auction on EBay. I also know I've mentioned this before but it applies here on this thread- a full size statue of Abraham Lincoln was stolen in Detroit years ago. It was damaged as a result. The thieves apparently could not sell it for scrap so they dumped it on an elementary schools front bushes- where it was recovered. By the way, I had attended the school as a kid. After costly repair, the statue was placed inside if Detroit's Main Library on Woodard Avenue.

Hey Bill, I have heard of G.A.R markers turning up in antique shops. What these people do not realize is that they are dealing in stolen property. We have placed a few of these markers on soldiers graves over the years and used cement to keep anyone from pulling them from the ground. Of course it is only a matter of time before someone comes by and uses a saw.