Historical Cosmo Girls
05-08-2014, 05:12 AM
Historical Cosmo Girls
A forum member sent me a link to a web page created by another of our members, Susan Higgenbotham. I hadn't had such good laughs in a long time and thought I would share with the group. Kudos, Susan!

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/histori...girls.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 06:57 AM by Linda Anderson.)
RE: Historical Cosmo Girls
They are hysterical, Susan!
05-08-2014, 08:29 AM
I like the one entitled "Do you Smell? What your friends may not be telling you."
05-08-2014, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 12:27 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
That is my favorite, too. ("What your friends may not be telling you" applies as well to "Is this color/outfit becoming to me?" and all these questions.)

As for "Brunettes - Why They're better" - since one colleague of mine makes sure I won't ever miss the latest stupid-blue-eyed-blondes joke (but most are really funny), I once confronted him (to no avail) with the "blondes-will-die-out" hoax ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2284783.stm ) that occasionally reappeares. (Usually people begin to cherish what - they fear - they are going to lose, but he pictured me in a sort of Brave-New-World Savage Reservation).

However, this hoax was indeed first published in the following 1865 article* approving of recent Parisian fashion changes favoring the blonde look dates rumors concerning the extinction of the blondes:

"GOLDEN HAIR

Not long ago, the admirers of blue eyes and fair hair were disgusted by certain wise men announcing that the blonde was becoming rapidly extinct, failing to hold her own even in her native North. Let them take heart and rejoice, and laugh to scorn the evil prophecies of Darwinian doctrinaires. Fashion, in Paris, has determined to thwart the disciples of the new school, and set natural selection at defiance, and the fiat has gone forth that the blonde is the true type of beauty, and golden your only hair. Amber-colored locks are literally worth their weight in gold, and all the hair-markets of Europe are being ransacked to enable Parisian belles to witch mankind with beauty not their own, except by right of purchase."

(*"The Flag of Our Union", Aug.26, 1865)
05-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Fascinating post, Eva! I wonder how far back this preference for blondes really goes.

I posted a while back that I went to a lecture on Civil War women and the lecturer said that Varina Davis was not considered attractive in her time. We've advanced in our perceptions of beauty since then, for example, Angelina Jolie is considered beautiful, but I remember the ads that asked, "Is it true blondes have more fun?"

[Image: 220px-VHowellDavis.jpg]
Varina Davis
05-08-2014, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 03:10 PM by Linda Anderson.)
One thing leads to another and I looked up Jefferson Davis's first wife, Sarah Knox Taylor. She was the daughter of future President Zachary Taylor. Davis resigned from the army to be able to marry her but she died of malaria on September 15, 1835 after only three months of marriage.

"Davis was devastated by the death of his young wife, as were her parents...When Jefferson Davis married Varina Banks Howell on February 26, 1845, he insisted that the newlywed couple visit Sarah's grave during their honeymoon."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Knox_Taylor

[Image: 220px-Sarah_Knox_Taylor_age_16.jpg]
Sarah Knox Taylor
05-08-2014, 03:54 PM
How romantic Heart

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-08-2014, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 05:07 PM by BettyO.)
....and redheads were considered to be "undesirable" and "unfortunate" in the Victorian era. Remember the 1890s fiery tempered redheaded heroine, "Anne Shirley" of Anne of Green Gables and her attempt to dye her hair?

Earlier in medieval times, redheads (or "Gingers" as the Brits call them) were thought to be witches, vampires and ghouls!

Strangely enough, redheads were seemingly extremely popular in Pre-Raphaelite paintings, influenced in part by artist Dante Gabriel Rossetti's flame haired model and later wife, Elizabeth Siddal.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-08-2014, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 11:54 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
A lot of times I find myself looking at old photos of women who were considered beauties in their day and I find myself scratching my head in confusion.Huh But I can definitely see the appeal of Jefferson Davis's first wife, Sarah Knox. I can see that she was pretty. His second wife Varina was striking when she was young...tall, voluptuous, olive skinned woman with lovely dark eyes.

Mary Todd Lincoln's younger sister Emilie Todd Helm was very beautiful as well. She had a waterfall of long black hair and dark, almond shaped eyes. In one picture of her as a very young woman she looks like a 19th century Angelina Jolie-breathtaking!
05-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Betty - It's funny that you should use the term "Ginger." I was at the hairdresser's on Wednesday evening, and she was cutting her son's hair right before me. He's probably about 20 and was getting a buzz cut. He is a red-head and keeps it short to disguise it somewhat.

She kept referring to him as her "Ginger." I almost asked if she considered him a vampire, but I didn't. She loves the supernatural stories, and I didn't want to start that conversation -- especially after the weird happenings with the Lincoln assassination book at my house fire!
05-09-2014, 11:19 AM
(05-08-2014 11:52 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  A lot of times I find myself looking at old photos of women who were considered beauties in their day and I find myself scratching my head in confusion.Huh

A lot of times I find myself looking at current photos of women who are considered beauties today and I find myself scratching my head in confusion. Huh

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Amen, brother Gene!
05-10-2014, 01:31 AM
(05-09-2014 11:19 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 11:52 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  A lot of times I find myself looking at old photos of women who were considered beauties in their day and I find myself scratching my head in confusion.Huh

A lot of times I find myself looking at current photos of women who are considered beauties today and I find myself scratching my head in confusion. Huh

No argument from me there!Big Grin
05-10-2014, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 08:22 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, thus IMO one can't "advance" in one's perceptions of beauty, but only enlarge them. (In other words, I think it's inappropriate to consider people inadvanced who don't find Angelina Jolie beautiful.) Also I've frequently experienced that "true beauty comes from within" - and it is fascinating to me how beautiful people can become.
05-10-2014, 08:39 AM
(05-10-2014 08:16 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Also I've frequently experienced that "true beauty comes from within" - and it is fascinating to me how beautiful people can become.

Eva, I think that it's wonderful the way you worded that. I couldn't agree with you more.