Father Jacob Walter's tombstone
05-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Father Jacob Walter's tombstone
While we were looking in Mount Olivet yesterday for Nora Fitzpatrick's husband and children (no luck, although I did find a likely spot in the lot in question), my sharp-eyed husband spotted the marker of Father Jacob Walter, who ministered to Mary Surratt on the scaffold:

[Image: IMG_1228_zpsdd6eae66.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 02:44 PM
RE: Father Jacob Walter's tombstone
She is supposedly in Sec C-15, lot 42, but no marker. Is that what you have?
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2014, 03:05 PM
(05-05-2014 02:44 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  She is supposedly in Sec C-15, lot 42, but no marker. Is that what you have?

Yes, thanks! The Hall file on her has a photograph of her marker (which contains only her married name) and the grave of her father. I found her father's grave, but not her marker, which according to Hall should be nearby. I think it's disappeared, as there's a spot near her father's grave which looks just large enough to have held the marker in question. Her husband, two of her sons, and her stepdaughters are buried in another part of the cemetery--I have the location but couldn't find them, although I did find a blank spot in the right row that looks large enough to have held the family. There are a lot of drainage problems in that part of the cemetery.
05-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Susan, can you post a picture of the headstone?
05-07-2014, 01:09 PM
(05-06-2014 03:29 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Susan, can you post a picture of the headstone?

Here you go! If I ever get my scanner up and running (it hates Windows 8.1), I'll scan the "Whelan" marker from the Hall file.

[Image: IMG_1233_zps6c55b068.jpg]
05-07-2014, 04:21 PM
I've been meaning to mention this - and I hope that Rich can comply - but, Fr. Walter was basically an underling of Fr. Bernadin Wiget, Mary Surratt's chief religious officer. Fr. Wiget is buried at St. Ignatius Chapel Point near Port Tobacco, Maryland. If I am not mistaken, his tombstone is very tiny in comparison to the impressive monument to Fr. Jacob Walter. Rich, can you confirm with a photo?
05-07-2014, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 04:48 PM by Rsmyth.)
That is correct Laurie. He has a simple marker with a cross engraved and P.B.F. Wiget. You can see the marker boothiebarn. Just type Wiget into the search engine.
Thanks Susan!