Booth in the Finger Lakes
04-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Booth in the Finger Lakes
Yesterday,I gave a "talk"at Senior citizen-"lunch bunch".After the "talk"a elderly lady came up to me and showed me a letter from her ancestor,that JWB stayed in a cottage next door to him-Seneca Point-Canandaigua Lake,NY.This area was loaded with"Copperheads"!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
RE: Booth in the Finger Lakes
How cool!
Herb, you are an encouragement not only to those seniors, but to all of us, to stay active in sharing history and in caring about others. I am glad and proud to have made your aquantaince through this site.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks-Gene C !!!!!!!---I was blown away!
04-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Wasn't there a TV movie "Copperhead" that used W. NY State as its locale?
04-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I really don't know! But,I will check it out.
04-15-2014, 03:41 PM
I think a lot more went on in northwestern NY State than what we think. Sometimes, I wonder if they are the "NY Crowd."
04-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Laurie,I think you are on to something! This area is a "gold mine"for assassination research.
04-16-2014, 06:23 AM
I'm not familiar with that part of the country at all. It sounds like it was rural. Anyone familiar with the area today?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-16-2014, 01:49 PM
It has now passed Lake Tahoe in property value! Canandaigua is a very beautiful town in the Finger Lakes.The Seneca's called it,"The Chosen Spot".
04-16-2014, 04:45 PM
The Finger Lakes probably have more wineries per square mile than Napa Valley. I know. I have visited most of them. Research, of course.
04-16-2014, 06:21 PM
I agree, Rich. Joan Chaconas and I took a busload of people to the area several decades ago to conduct the same sort of research. It is a gorgeous area and rich in history as well as grapes.
04-17-2014, 09:11 AM
(04-15-2014 03:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I think a lot more went on in northwestern NY State than what we think. Sometimes, I wonder if they are the "NY Crowd."
Be careful on the use of terms Teacher,

The "NY Crowd" as Booth referred to them were operatives working under orders. The rest were supporters. The big mistake made during the Civil War was that Copperhead leaders thought they could turn supporters into active operatives merely by a nod of their heads. That may have been true of city dwellers but not the rural crowd for a number of reasons that the big city leaders didn't understand.
04-17-2014, 09:32 AM
I have a letter home[Italy Valley,NY--Penn Yan,NY].The young soldier asks his Mother if his Father is becoming a Copperhead.This based on how he feels about his Father's letters and opinions.He also asks about the "Deadbeats" from town who have not enlisted yet!
04-17-2014, 11:31 AM
If you have read Dixie Reckoning, Mr. Stelnick believed that the NY Crowd were financial movers and shakers based in NYC with arms reaching in directions as far away as Europe. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he presented a good case -- but he never produced primary source material to back it up. He cited that there was such material, but I don't believe that he ever proved it. Wild Bill, please correct me if I am wrong.
04-17-2014, 12:46 PM
That's a fair surmise of DR