Star Saloon
03-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Star Saloon
Can someone tell me, when booth went under the stage and to the star saloon passage, did he have to go out to the street and in the front door of the saloon to get in or was there a door from the passage way into the saloon?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: Star Saloon
Interesting question, but wasn't there a door from the upstairs "Green Room" at Fords which led to a stairway or passage into the Star Saloon? Seems I've heard something to that effect....I could be very wrong.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Tom Bogar or Jim Garrett would be our best sources for an answer on this, but I believe that Booth entered from the rear of the stage, used a trapdoor to go into the basement, crossed the basement and used a second trapdoor to come up to ground level again.

In 1865, there was a side door that led out into an alley between the theater and the saloon. If I remember correctly, Booth walked out of the alley onto Tenth Street, checked the time, and then entered the Star Saloon.
03-04-2014, 03:02 PM
In 1865, there was a side door that led out into an alley between the theater and the saloon. If I remember correctly, Booth walked out of the alley onto Tenth Street, checked the time, and then entered the Star Saloon.
[/quote]

Interesting, Thank-you
03-07-2014, 11:26 AM
I believe that the building that was the Starr Saloon was built by John Ford when he rebuilt the theater. The passageway between the building went all the way through from front to back on the ground floor. The second floors of the building were connected. The apartment on the third floor was not connected directly to the theatre. I believe there was a side door in the back of the Star Saloon. I was under the impression that JWB came in the back door of Ford's and used the passageway to cross under the theatre. Came out on south side of the theatre and went out into the lobby to check the time. He exited the theatre through one of the front doors of the theatre and went next door to the Star through the front door.
07-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Video RE: Star Saloon
ood afternoon everyone :

My name is marsha , I am researching some civil war related photographic materials trying to identify locations , people , etc. ,

so if I might inquire : has anyone knowledge re-guarding the existence of photographic imagery depicting interior views of the
infamous " STAR SALOON ' with , in or next to ' FORDS THEATRE '.
as during the civil war era.

I have with much effort been unable to locate anything .

thank you for you time and consideration
marsha (wcvet6 )
07-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi Marsha and welcome to the forum. I thought I had an interior photo at one time, but it proved to be erroneous. Please see the discussion here. Scroll down the page about halfway.
07-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Welcome, Marsha.

The picture that Roger directed you to is the only one that I have ever seen purported to be the interior of the Star Saloon (ca. 1900). However, Joan Chaconas is my D.C. expert at Surratt House Museum, and I believe she has said that she has doubts about that being a photo of Taltavull's bar because an enlargement shows a date on one of the papers on the wall as being in the 1920s.

A city directory for 1924 lists the building as being a War Department branch of the Adjutant General's office.
07-16-2014, 01:41 AM
Thank you everyone for your input I am now on the right path, you are all so kind and knowledgeable
and I feel very welcomed .

have a good night .
Marsha
07-16-2014, 08:02 AM
I seem to remember Richard Sloan being allowed to follow in Booth's footsteps in the theater. He may be able to shed light on this. If my memory serves me, Art Loux was with him.
10-24-2014, 03:17 PM
This website is great for architecture of Ford's

http://civilwar.gratzpa.org/2012/01/the-...ura-keene/
10-24-2014, 04:27 PM
I doubt there will ever come to light an exterior picture of the Star Saloon. There are very few images from that time of building interiors and a saloon would probably not be of much unterest to anyone at that time. If I remember, the Star closed either due to the assassination, or very shortly after.