Execution Stereoviews
I found these two stereoview cards of the execution on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Civil-War-Stereo...35d2ec6f14

[Image: execution-stereoview-4-the-ministers-pray-1.jpg?w=800]

[Image: execution-stereoview-4-the-ministers-pray-2.jpg?w=600]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Civil-War-Stereo...35d2ec77bd

[Image: execution-stereoview-8-all-is-done-1.jpg?w=800]

[Image: execution-stereoview-8-all-is-done-2.jpg?w=600]

The first stereoview is, I believe, a rare one. While many of the other shots of the execution have been scanned in high resolution and digitized by the Library of Congress, the only place I've ever seen the top one is from Betty, who has it in her book. It is the only execution photograph in which you can see Powell's face.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2014, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 04:32 PM by KateH..)
RE: Execution Stereoviews
The first, at least for me, is one of the rarest and saddest images in the set. Not that the last few aren't emotional in their own right, but those earlier shots can be painful to see.
Find all posts by this user
03-03-2014, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 06:45 PM by BettyO.)
I own a copy of that Stereoview. It is the only true view which shows Powell's face. I scanned it in at a high resolution in an attempt to get a better view of Powell's face. Unfortunately, it's still VERY pixilated and not clear enough. Powell is apparently praying with Gillette, who is kneeling at his feet. One report also stated that he was weeping as well. It's an interesting, little known photo. Apparently only Stereoview photographs are available of this shot. We have failed to find the original glass negative.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-03-2014, 06:49 PM
His face and neck look horribly thin in that photo as compared to those taken on the Montauk.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
03-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Quote:His face and neck look horribly thin in that photo as compared to those taken on the Montauk.

This kid apparently lost a lot of weight in prison. He was recorded to have been 175 lbs when he went through the lines at Alexandria, VA in January 1865. I would bet he lost about 20 lbs when incarcerated and probably weighed approximately 155-150 pounds when hanged. One reason he strangled probably. No one took his weight into consideration.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-03-2014, 10:25 PM
If I am remembering correct, I don't believe any of the executions were successful. Mrs. Surratt and Atzerodt were knocked out and, therefore, did not move. Powell and Herold remained conscious for quite a few minutes. No weights or heights were taken into consideration until the 20th century and, even then, it would have been more of a challenge to have four different drop heights.

Also, it looks as if all of them lost weight. If you look at the clothing of those we can see in the photographs (mainly the three men) their clothes look loose and baggy. This is really no surprise considering the horrible treatment and stressful situations they had to endure.
03-08-2014, 08:42 PM
When one considers the time that they spent in isolation on board the Montauk, along with the scant provisions allotted to them it is a wonder that they survived at all to be executed. Also, diet has a lot to do with weight control as many people know! A person can eat what appears to be a substantial amount of food and still starve to death if they are not getting the correct vitamins and minerals that their bodies need. One only has to look back at conditions on board sailing vessels before the 19th century to see this.

A more recent example would be the case of Chris McCandless. He was a young man that attempted to live a solitary (Thoreau-like) life in the remote Alaska wilderness. His body was found weighing no more than 85 or 90 pounds by hikers some months after he had entered the wilderness. He had starved to death even though there was evidence that he had shot and killed game. Apparently he ate a certain type of berry that was toxic to his system. His story was told by Jon Krakauer in his book "Into the wild." I believe that they made a movie about it a few years back but I have not seen it.

Craig
03-09-2014, 01:00 PM
McCandless ate a seed (that closely resembled an edible one) which sped up his metabolism to a point that he's have starved on thousands of calories a day.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-18-2014, 04:01 PM
That stereoview sold on EBay for $858- and some odd cents. That buyer wasn't you Dave, was it? I wish I had that kind of money!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2014, 04:41 PM
I know it was fashionable to attened a "hanging"in that era.Take a good look at the 13th soldier on the left[on the wall]he seems to be turning away[I hope-in sickness].
05-19-2014, 06:08 PM
(03-08-2014 08:42 PM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  When one considers the time that they spent in isolation on board the Montauk, along with the scant provisions allotted to them it is a wonder that they survived at all to be executed.

Craig

Hi Craig,

If I had seen this earlier I would have certainly replied. The conspirators did seem to lose weight while in captivity but it was not for lack of provisions. They were all well fed, some more than others. The food they ate was the same as the soldiers who guarded them.

My guess is that the weight loss was due more to stress than anything else. Spangler had a great appetite according to his jailers. After initially refusing to eat, Mary Surratt was treated to some of the better food available to Gen. Hartranft and his staff.

Just my thoughts.

John
05-19-2014, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 06:49 PM by BettyO.)
Quote:My guess is that the weight loss was due more to stress than anything else.

Agreed, John. It has always been my speculation as well that Powell's chronic constipation was also the result of stress. He had reportedly told his guard that he had never been constipated before he was incarcerated.

05-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Undue stress does help cause constipation.
05-19-2014, 07:21 PM
(05-19-2014 06:08 PM)John E. Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 08:42 PM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  When one considers the time that they spent in isolation on board the Montauk, along with the scant provisions allotted to them it is a wonder that they survived at all to be executed.

Craig

Hi Craig,

If I had seen this earlier I would have certainly replied. The conspirators did seem to lose weight while in captivity but it was not for lack of provisions. They were all well fed, some more than others. The food they ate was the same as the soldiers who guarded them.

My guess is that the weight loss was due more to stress than anything else. Spangler had a great appetite according to his jailers. After initially refusing to eat, Mary Surratt was treated to some of the better food available to Gen. Hartranft and his staff.

Just my thoughts.

John

I believe that it was another prisoner who commented on the better treatment that Mrs. Surratt received under Hartranft's orders -- Henry Kyd Douglas, who later wrote the book, I Rode With Stonewall.
05-19-2014, 11:34 PM
(03-09-2014 01:00 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  McCandless ate a seed (that closely resembled an edible one) which sped up his metabolism to a point that he's have starved on thousands of calories a day.

Can we find out the EXACT name of that seed ASAP??! I would be very interested!!Undecided

As for the photos of the execution, I have always read that it was upwards of 95 degrees that day. Literally and figuratively a hellish day. Yet the prisoners, soldiers and guards are all dressed in what looks like heavy wool garments!Huh