Lincoln assassination postage stamp
02-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Lincoln assassination postage stamp
I read in the news today about how Steve Jobs will be on his own postage stamp in the next year or so. I ended up reading a bit about how stamps come to be and found that there is a committee that accepts ideas from the public for new stamps. I, of course, thought of the upcoming 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's assassination. So I typed up my proposal and I will be mailing it (with one of my Civil War anniversary stamps) out to the committee tomorrow. I just thought I'd share my letter:

"Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee
c/o Stamp Development
U.S. Postal Service
475 L’Enfant Plaza SW, Room 3300
Washington, DC 20260-3501

To the Committee:

It seems likely to me that this committee receives countless recommendations and ideas for postage stamps. No doubt the task of going through them all is quite a time consuming and daunting affair. Thank you for taking the time to review and consider my idea.

I would like to start off by saying that I believe, like most Americans, that Abraham Lincoln was our country’s greatest president. I thought the Postal Service did a wonderful job commemorating the 200th anniversary of Lincoln’s birth with the set of stamps that were released in 2009. In addition, I have also enjoyed the stamps commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. As we know, the Civil War was a dark and troubled time for our country. But, due to those years of bloodshed and strife, we fulfilled the promise of freedom for all. Abraham Lincoln was the visionary leader who overcame tremendous odds to keep this country together and ensure that freedom.

With this in mind, I would like to recommend that the committee consider the idea of creating a postage stamp to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. I feel it is a defining moment of American history. Though it was an immensely sorrowful event, it is also critical in establishing our understanding and appreciation of Abraham Lincoln. When Lincoln was assassinated on April 14, 1865 and died the next morning, the country lost its greatest president. However, the event, as dark as it was, also created an American saint. Lincoln’s death came right after he had achieved victory, just as he gave his “last, full measure” for our country. To me, Abraham Lincoln represents the last casualty of war and I believe that the American people need to be reminded of his sacrifice.

There are many images that I believe could be used to represent this moment in history:
• President Lincoln, Mary Todd, Major Rathbone and Miss Harris in the box at Ford’s Theatre the moments before John Wilkes Booth entered
• Ford’s Theatre draped in mourning ribbon on the day after the event
• The photograph of the empty, bloodstained bed from the Petersen House, on which Lincoln died
• The sole photograph of Lincoln in his casket as he lay in state in New York

I’m sure they are many more images that could appear on a U.S. postage stamp that would capture the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in a respectful and relevant way.

I feel that commemorating the 150th anniversary of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln with a U.S. Postage Stamp is a fitting tribute to our 16th president’s sacrifice and legacy. Per your own criteria, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln represents a significant event centered on a truly influential figure in American history. It is a memorial stamp to a president marking an anniversary of his death. Lastly, 2015 will be the 150th anniversary of his death, fitting the requirement that an event can be commemorated only on 50 year intervals.

Thank you for reading and considering my proposal. The Postal Service has already done a great job of using postage stamps to educate the American people of Lincoln’s greatest accomplishments. I truly feel that the American people would also benefit from a stamp that reminds them of Abraham Lincoln’s greatest, and final, sacrifice for his country.

Sincerely,

Dave Taylor"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2014, 07:57 PM
RE: Lincoln assassination postage stamp
Great letter and idea, Dave. What a pity forum members can't also sign it (I would, and others sure, too).
Find all posts by this user
02-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Great idea Dave. I have been collecting stamps since I was 8 years old (bicentennial year!) and would love to add that to my collection.

Craig
02-22-2014, 06:04 AM
I think Eva and Craig said it very well. You did an excellent job, Dave. Possibly they could commemorate the funeral train. Dave, I think you once mentioned it was the most watched event in American history prior to the advent of television.
02-22-2014, 08:24 AM
What a wonderful idea!

Bill Nash
02-22-2014, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2014 08:52 AM by JMadonna.)
Nice idea Dave but commemorating the assassination with a stamp is a longshot.

Governments frown on murdering the head of state.
02-22-2014, 02:25 PM
(02-22-2014 08:51 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  Nice idea Dave but commemorating the assassination with a stamp is a longshot.

Governments frown on murdering the head of state.

I understand it's probably a pipe dream, Jerry. Apparently the committee suggests sending in ideas 3 years before the event's anniversary so that they have enough time to approve, design and complete a stamp. So my recommendation will probably be dismissed anyway since its only a year until the 150th anniversary.

I feel that the passage of time has made us capable of showing and discussing the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in an educational manner. While it's obvious that I find the conspiracy surrounding the assassination fascinating, I also understand that this can be viewed as macabre or even indecent by others. I disagree with those views but I respect that, to some, the assassination of Lincoln is nothing more than a black and white murder. That is why my suggestions for any stamp ideas left out any depictions of John Wilkes Booth or the manhunt. I would not want the stamp to be misinterpreted as an endorsement of the assassin or his crime. However, I do feel that the timing and manner in which Lincoln died has had a profound impact on his lasting legacy. To me, his assassination is as important an event in his life as his many accomplishments. It was a tragic event, yes, but it also helped shape him in the eyes of the American people, north and south. I truly feel it is deserving of far more discussion and respect than what it is currently given.
02-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Thank you, Dave, for expressing what I have attempted to tell people for over forty years. The whole subject is a critical part of American history - with reasons behind the event and repercussions because of it that have definitely defined it as a major topic in our country's development. The study of reasons, repercussions, and solutions form the basis for the purpose of teaching history. A tastefully done postage stamp could spur interest in our topic. Lord knows, we have been very liberal in some of the subject matter placed on stamps in the past
02-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Thank you, Dave and Laurie. I agree with you both - very well put. We need to deepen our studies of this tragic event and the ramifications which it had on our nation and history. It is NOT to glorify assassins or assassination, but is a vital part of the historic "Big Picture" of our nation as a whole. To tell the story of our country, we need to tell the entire story - with all of it's thorns as well as it's beauty.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Well, I just got a letter back from the stamp advisory council. Here's what it said:

"Dear Mr. Taylor:

Thank you for your recent letter to the Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee expressing support for the issuance of a stamp commemorating the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's assassination.

The U.S. Postal Service and Advisory Committee have set certain basic criteria in determining the eligibility of subjects for commemoration on U.S. stamps and stationary. One of these criteria states that 'The stamp program commemorates positive contributions to American life, history, and culture; therefore, disasters will not be commemorated on U.S. postage stamps or stationery.'

We appreciate your interest in our stamp program."

Oh, well. I tried.
05-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Lol. Well, they do have a point!

Bill Nash
05-24-2014, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 08:19 PM by Dave Taylor.)
(05-24-2014 07:56 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Lol. Well, they do have a point!

They do indeed have a point and I can't fault them for their answer. However, I still feel that they could find a middle ground where they could commemorate the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's death without it being a "disaster". A simple stamp of Lincoln's head with his birth year and death year could suffice and mark the anniversary appropriately enough.

But then again, with today's technology, who's stopping me from making my own postage stamps?

http://www.zazzle.com/stamps
05-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Gather some figures. I'm thinking 2015 conference and beyond.
05-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Hey..... I'm liking the idea for the Conference !

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Looks good, Betty but I think you mean 150th not 50th. Also I'm not sure if that bottom text will come out since it's outside the printable area.