Sultana
02-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Sultana
Sultana - Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History, by Alan Huffman. This was real good, I'd read until I couldn't stay awake. Follows the before and after of several of the vicitms of the Sultana disaster, from when they join the Union Army, their battlefield and army experiences, their capture and time in prisoner of war camps, their release and trip home on the Sultana. It then describes the explosion of the boilers, the sinking of the ship and the fate of the passengers, (most did not survive), and the survivors lives afterword, adjusting to their injuries and illness. I can't help but be amazed at what these men went through.

My only complaint, the book has about 281 pages, but it is not until page 175 that the Sultana becomes a significant part of the story. Had I known that earlier, I probably would not have purchased the book. I purchased this on impulse at one of those discount book stores at an outlet mall. There are other books about the Sultana disaster that have good reviews that you can purchase on line.
In spite of that, this is an interesting book. I found the Afterword, at the end of the book, especially moving.

http://www.amazon.com/Sultana-Surviving-...889&sr=1-2

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2014, 09:39 PM
RE: Sultana
I read this book last year.
It was excellent, and I agree about how long it took to get to the Sultana part.
02-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Please read Albert Castel's story of the Sultana! He will hold your interest!
02-16-2014, 01:04 PM
I read an excellent book on the Sultana probably thirty years ago. I don't remember the author; perhaps it was Castel. The disaster was such a horrible, ironic piece of fate to come at the end of the war. And because it happened at the same time that Booth is killed, it took a back seat in history until fairly recently.
02-16-2014, 07:49 PM
The Sultana maritime disaster lost more lives than the Titanic.Some say,It was overloaded with prisoners going home and the boiler blew up! Others feel,It was blown up from the inside.{terriost plot}not unlike the "Battleship Maine".
02-16-2014, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2014 09:45 PM by Gene C.)
Herb, couldn't find one by Albert Castel. Do you have a title?

02-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Gene-I am not totally sure but-"Death on the Sultana"-article.Herb
02-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Gene-I wish I get new information and a better memory!
04-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Interesting news article on the Sultana river boat dissaster

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/27/402515205/...nion-lives

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer...=402531613

04-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Gene,my mentor[Dr.Albert Castel]wrote a tremendous story about the Sultana dissaster years ago.He felt that it was a secret Confederate plot to kill all those Union POW's.I agree with his theory.