A club worth joining!
12-21-2013, 11:42 AM
A club worth joining!
in spite of my general philosophy of not joining any club that would have me as a member, I just might have to join this one. Can't afford to join as a muckraker but maybe as a conspirator or agitator.

Also, the "Ida Tarbell" cocktail of lemon, cognac and aperol sounds intriguing.

Best
Rob

https://www.tarbellnyc.com/

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: A club worth joining!
Looks intriguing Rob. I think Groucho (whom you indirectly referred with your statement) would even be interested.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2013, 11:43 AM
The only problem with joining is that I wouldn't be able to make it to Manhattan for the drinks. Maybe they'll allow for franchises. Smile

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
12-22-2013, 01:06 PM
LOL. Thinking of Tarbell- I was looking through my home library yesterday and pulled off the shelf her book He Knew Lincoln. I was surprised to find that it was signed by Tarbell. I didn't remember that I had purchased a signed copy.

Bill Nash
12-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Which edition? The 1907, 1922 or 1931?

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
12-22-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't know because I'm not home right now- I'm working at the hospital. Im assuming first edition more valuable?

Bill Nash
12-22-2013, 02:17 PM
I imagine the first edition would be the most valuable, although there are a large number of copies available. I have one that a friend bought me last year for about a dollar, I think. If it only has the first Billy Brown story, it would be the 1907 edition. When the Phillips Publishing Company brought it out after it appeared in the American Magazine, they didn't put in the other story which appeared that year called "Back There in '58." It was in the 1922 edition, when it was first reissued, that the other stories appeared.

Tarbell sold 12,000 copies of the book in 1907 alone. It was likely her best selling book throughout her life, although the Boy Scouts Life of Lincoln would be a close second. Boy Scouts all across the country had to read the book as a part of their service as a scout, and Springfield scouts had to read it before hiking from Springfield to New Salem starting in 1926. They still have to read a book about Lincoln before making the hike and write a 300 word report on the book they read, but it now can be any book on Lincoln.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg