Montgomery Meigs
12-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Montgomery Meigs
We all know of him a one of Lincoln's generals who road with Sec. Stanton and Sec. Wells from Seward's home to the Petersen House after hearing of Lincoln's assassination. However, Meigs was also in charge of construction of the Capitol Dome and he had a gigantic feud with the architect of the dome, Thomas Walter that was covered in a great piece on 60 Minutes that is worth your time.

Meigs was apparently obsessed with fame and even went so far as to have his name etched in the iron steps of the inner dome so that he would be remembered for the dome for eternity.

There is a great series of letters that passed between the two men where they fought of who should get the credit for the dome. Meigs wrote to Walter, "...You are welcomed to assume the authorship of the pyramids of Egypt...you have no right to the New Dome."

Walter replied, "If I am not the architect of the New Dome I would like to know who is..."

Anyway, check out the video. It's very interesting.

Heath
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-capitol-...niversary/
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2013, 09:15 AM
RE: Montgomery Meigs
As a young army officer, Meigs was sent to Detroit in the early 1840's to oversee the construction of what would become Fort Wayne. Just a few short years later, another young
officer would be stationed at Fort Wayne. That man would eventually lead the army to victory in the Civil War. His name was U.S. Grant.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2013, 04:45 PM
The Meigs grave at Arlington is not exactly humble. Directly in front of Meigs is the memeorial to his son who was KIA. It's very deamatic.
Find all posts by this user
12-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Meigs also was responsible in important ways for Arlington.

Bill Nash
12-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Meigs was responsible for burying the first soldiers at Arlington in retribution for Lee going South.
12-08-2013, 12:24 AM
I believe that either his grandfather or great grandfather (another Montgomery Meigs) served in the Revolutionary War with Benedict Arnold in the march to Quebec.

Craig
12-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I know his father was a physician. There is also a living Montgomery Meigs (in the direct line) who is a highly decorated general ( now retired).

Bill Nash
12-08-2013, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 09:30 AM by BettyO.)
Exactly, Jim. Didn't Meigs also build or supervise the DC aqueduct? Seems I've heard/read that.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-08-2013, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 10:23 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
I've read that, too, and the Pension Building and a part of the Smithonian.