Restoration of the Lincoln "Courting Couch"
11-23-2013, 05:57 AM
Restoration of the Lincoln "Courting Couch"
Here are photos, information, and a short video about the effort to restore the c. 1830s horsehair-upholstered sofa on which Abraham and Mary Lincoln courted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2013, 10:14 AM
RE: Restoration of the Lincoln "Courting Couch"
(11-23-2013 05:57 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Here are photos, information, and a short video about the effort to restore the c. 1830s horsehair-upholstered sofa on which Abraham and Mary Lincoln courted.

Thanks, Roger,

This is fascinating. One of the dioramas in the ALPLM shows Abraham and Mary "courting" on the couch.

Joe
11-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Thank you for posting this link. Edwards' Place will be closed most of 2014 for restorations. I am looking forward to visiting when everything is finished.
02-08-2014, 07:47 PM
The Lincoln courting couch has been restored! http://edwardsplace.org/Events/2014/Cour...eveal.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/07/arts/d...-todd.html
02-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Great job Roger! Yesterday[Valentines Day] I gave a presentation at the Senior Center.On Monday at another Senior Center for President's Day.A 96yr old lady informed me that Mary Lincoln,would make a "Courtin Cake"for Abe on Valentines Day! Hey,who am I to question anyone that's 96yrs old on Valentines Day?
02-15-2014, 04:38 PM
According to The Presidents' Cookbook by Poppy Cannon and Patricia Brooks (1968), you 96-year-old friend is correct. "Several of Lincoln's biographers mentioned the burnt sugar cake Mary Todd prepared for him when he came courting. Many recipes purport to be Mary's own. This one, we are pleased to say, actually can be traced down through the Todd family to Mary Hosford, a granddaughter of one of Mary's cousins."

In short, the ingredients are sugar, caramelized sugar syrup, egg whites, butter, baking powder, cake flour, salt, and vanilla. The finished cake is then frosted with an icing of melted butter, dark brown sugar, milk, powdered sugar, and optional black walnuts.

Mr. Lincoln's favorite cake from his wife, however, was reported to be her Vanilla Almond Cake with a Candied Fruit Frosting.
02-18-2014, 01:21 AM
(02-15-2014 04:38 PM)L Verge Wrote:  According to The Presidents' Cookbook by Poppy Cannon and Patricia Brooks (1968), you 96-year-old friend is correct. "Several of Lincoln's biographers mentioned the burnt sugar cake Mary Todd prepared for him when he came courting. Many recipes purport to be Mary's own. This one, we are pleased to say, actually can be traced down through the Todd family to Mary Hosford, a granddaughter of one of Mary's cousins."

In short, the ingredients are sugar, caramelized sugar syrup, egg whites, butter, baking powder, cake flour, salt, and vanilla. The finished cake is then frosted with an icing of melted butter, dark brown sugar, milk, powdered sugar, and optional black walnuts.

Mr. Lincoln's favorite cake from his wife, however, was reported to be her Vanilla Almond Cake with a Candied Fruit Frosting.

Check LINCOLN'S TABLE for more about this statement. (about 10 pages worth of information) I am convinced that Lincoln was a gracious cake eater, and his favorite piece of cake was the last one he ate. According to the earliest writings on the subject, his favorite was a Pecan Cake.
By the way, there is no historical documentation for the Candied Fruit Frosting -- someone attached it to the Vanilla Almond Cake in the 1950's. Now that the story is "out there" it just will not go away.
02-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks, Donna - It seems that Mr. Lincoln was the pure politician even when it came to his culinary "tastes." He tried to please everyone.

I don't know who attached the Candied Fruit Icing, but it sounds heavenly. If I had not sworn off of household chores (specifically baking) in my old age, I would be whipping up a batch right now!
02-18-2014, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 07:36 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
I was surprised to learn Abraham Lincoln had an active "interest" in cake (and food). This is what I mostly read before:

- "Abe was a moderate Eater and I now have no remembrance of his Special dish: he Sat down and ate what was set before him, making non complaint: he seemed Careless about this. I cooked his meals for nearly 15 years." (Sarah Bush Lincoln)

- "Well - in the absence of anything to Eat I will jump into this Cabbage." (Lincoln during the circuit, according to Judge David Davis)

- Mr. Lincoln was "an incompetent judge" of food. "He could not discern between well and ill-cooked and served food." (Attorney Henry C. Whitney)

- In Washington, President "Lincoln ate heartily but not to excess; he was particularly fond of certain things, especially apples, and Mrs. Lincoln always had a sufficiency of this fruit chosen carefully and ready at hand." (William H. Crook)

- "Mr. Lincoln was a great eater of apples. He said to me once that a man should eat and drink only that which is conducive to his own health. 'Apples,' he said, 'agree with me, 'and he added, 'a large per cent of professional men abuse their stomachs by imprudence in drinking and eating, and in that way health in is injured and ruined and life is shortened." (Springfield attorney Charles S. Zane)

- According to John Hay for breakfast at the White House, A. Lincoln would have an egg, a piece of toast and coffee for breakfast. Lunch consisted of "a biscuit, a glass of milk in winter, some fruit or grapes in summer."

- According to Francis B. Carpenter, once when some visitors were informed that the President was eating dinner, they said they would call at another time. They were told instead to wait. "In a few minutes the President walked into the room, with a kindly salutation, and a request that the friends would take seats. The doctor expressed his regret that their visit was so ill-timed, and that his Excellency was disturbed while at dinner. 'Oh! No consequence at all,' said Mr. Lincoln, good-naturedly. 'Mrs. Lincoln is absent at present, and when she is away, I generally 'browse' around."