Killing Kennedy to be shown 11/10/13.
11-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Killing Kennedy to be shown 11/10/13.
Nat Geo will be showing the feature Killing Kennedy this Sunday. How many of you will watch it? I saw an interview between O'Reilly and Rob Lowe. Mr. Lowe feels he "connected" as JFK. It should be a worthy watch, I would think.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 07:43 PM
RE: Killing Kennedy to be shown 11/10/13.
Has anyone seen the newest book that claims LBJ was behind Kennedy's assassination?
Find all posts by this user
11-07-2013, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 09:28 PM by brtmchl.)
I saw the author on TV yesterday Laurie. It really did sound interesting. He made all kinds of claims.
1) Just before Dallas, JFK told his secretary that he was dropping LBJ from the ticket.
2) LBJ told Warren basically to lie.
3) LBJ was receiving 55k per month in kick-backs from The mob.
4) Jackie asked French intelligence to do their own independent investigation. Their findings claimed that LBJ was the culprit.
5) Hoover told LBJ that the Russians did an investigation, also finding LBJ as the prime suspect.
6) 3 shooters at the scene. 1 behind the grassy knoll. The CIA was under orders to pull back security. The shooter on the 6th Fl was a known bagman that worked for LBJ, and his finger print was found at the scene. Oswald was on the 2nd floor.
7) Even before shots were fired LBJ dropped to the floor of his vehicle holding a walkie talkie and that there were pictures to prove it.
8) Nixon identified Ruby a someone that LBJ asked to get on a government payroll.
I'm not sure about any of this, but the fact that there were a lot of reports indicting LBJ gives me a reason to read it. Even if it is just conspiracy theory fun.

Sorry about the writing, I'm on my Iphone.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
11-07-2013, 09:01 PM
As I mentioned before, I liked O'Reilly's Killing Kennedy. LBJ was definitely one of the suspects that he hinted at having reasons to dispose of JFK - along with a number of others.

I have never developed an interest in the Kennedy assassination because I remember to the minute when I first heard the news -- and I never want to hear muffled drum beats again! However, O'Reilly's book has sparked a bit of an interest, and this new one may do likewise. James Swanson's Kennedy book should be released any day now also, and I do love his writing style.
11-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Just heard Oliver Stone publically stated he will not watch Killing Kennedy. He apparently has taken issue with the single shooter take on the film.

Bill Nash
11-07-2013, 10:06 PM
(11-07-2013 09:59 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Just heard Oliver Stone publically stated he will not watch Killing Kennedy. He apparently has taken issue with the single shooter take on the film.

Or the Author.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
11-08-2013, 09:27 AM
I haven't read any of O' Reilly's books. Or should I say Martin Dugards! Not that I have anything against the author. Except that he tends to be highly opinionated. I merely feel that there are writers out there that have devouted a lifetime of research to a certain topic and should be given preference. Name recognition and marketing are the reason these books are so popular. Realistically, how many books do you think Martin Dugard would sell if O'Reilly's name wasn't attached to them?

There are a lot of good researchers out there that have worked their way through the trenches by gathering material from obscure archives. These are the grinders! People like James O Hall, Ed Steers, Michael Kauffman and Betty O! Also, Dave Taylor who is literally going out in the trenches! I would much rather read what these people have to say on the subject. This is not to say that O'Reilly/Dugard is not worth looking at. I merely feel that this new Marketing Mass Produced history is capitalizing off the research done by the grinders! Just saying!

Craig
11-08-2013, 09:47 AM
I am excited to watch it, in fact I am giving my students extra credit if they watch it!!!!
11-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Craig - O'Reilly isn't my favorite person either (even though I agree with him on some issues, but hate the way he presents himself). It wasn't until the end of the book, Killing Kennedy, that I realized that he had been a reporter during the time of Kennedy's assassination and did gain some knowledge through the grunt work.

As for Martin Dugard, there is reference in the book to a pilot of the same name who was involved in what was supposed to be air support for the Bay of Pigs invasion. The relationship is not noted, but it seems pretty obvious that that was Dugard's father.

This time, I think the two authors may have stuck their noses in something that they know about. Now, Killing Jesus, is a whole 'nother matter...
11-08-2013, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 10:22 AM by Gene C.)
(11-08-2013 09:27 AM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  I merely feel that there are writers out there that have devouted a lifetime of research to a certain topic and should be given preference. Name recognition and marketing are the reason these books are so popular.

There are a lot of good researchers out there that have worked their way through the trenches by gathering material from obscure archives. These are the grinders! People like James O Hall, Ed Steers, Michael Kauffman and Betty O! Also, Dave Taylor who is literally going out in the trenches! I would much rather read what these people have to say on the subject.

Craig

I agree. The passion for their subject comes through and you get more of a personal feel for the subject they are writing about. You especially see it in the members of this discussion group who have written books, articles, and in the posts many of you write.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Read Caro's books on LBJ.
They will tell you everything you want to know about that creep.
And I don't think he had anything to do with JFK's assassination.
Actually I'm starting to think Oswald shot the wrong guy.....
11-08-2013, 10:43 PM
You're absolutely right on Caro's books, Mr. Hess. I'm reading the first volume right now and while I always knew Johnson was something of an [unnameable body part], I never knew the half of it.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
11-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Since we are on the subject of the Kennedy assassination, I recommend again Dr. john K. Lattimer's book: Kennedy and Lincoln: Medical & Ballistic Comparisons of Their Assassinations. It is very well-researched. Dr. L. was also known for demonstrating that Oswald could,indeed, have fired off 3 well-aimed rounds within 8.3 seconds under the same conditions. He was performing the demonstration even when he was an octogenarian.

Bill Nash
11-09-2013, 04:21 PM
(11-08-2013 10:43 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  You're absolutely right on Caro's books, Mr. Hess. I'm reading the first volume right now and while I always knew Johnson was something of an [unnameable body part], I never knew the half of it.

Best
Rob

The second volume is the best of the bunch IMO. Its like reading a primer on how to be a sleazy crooked politician (which LBJ was). It was so good, I re-read it about 2 years ago!!
11-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Dr. Lattimer owned Lincoln's blood-stained collar from that fateful night at Fords. Anyone know what happened to it? He passed away a few years ago.

Bill Nash