Getting more "high-tech" in the Lincoln-world
11-07-2013, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 12:45 PM by LincolnMan.)
Getting more "high-tech" in the Lincoln-world
Today I went another step in my personal journey to become more "high-tech." Probably most of you will not think much of it- as you have been advanced all along. This morning I down-loaded the Audible app to my Apple 4 S phone, joined the Audible.com service, and then down-loaded onto my IPhone - my first audible book (free for joining). I chose James Swanson's book Manhunt. Now i can listen to books using my phone. Until now, i have listened to audiobooks only in my car. A small step for me I know. To this date, I still don't do MP3's! Brave new world! P.S. - there still isn't anything like a book- especially an old book - yellowed by time. Oh well, onward and upward...

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 03:46 PM
RE: Getting more "high-tech" in the Lincoln-world
Update: I just purchased and down-loaded Tom Bogar's book. Now for the listen!

Bill Nash
11-07-2013, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 05:15 PM by Rob Wick.)
I used to listen to audio books on my commute to work until one day I was listening to The Education of Henry Adams and realized I had gone about 15 miles past my turn. From that point on it was just the radio.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
11-07-2013, 05:24 PM
LOL. 15 miles? Wow!

Bill Nash
11-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I was deeply into it. Scary thing is I was oblivious all that time I was driving. Better to listen to books you don't have to concentrate on.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
11-07-2013, 09:39 PM
I find myself daydreaming- then I realize I don't know what was said for the last couple minutes or so.

Bill Nash
11-08-2013, 06:08 AM
(11-07-2013 09:39 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I find myself daydreaming

I went to an ATM. I took the money. I forget to take the debit card back out and left it in the machine. Later I realized I no longer had my debit card. The bank had the card but would not give it back to me, so I had to call my own bank and order a replacement. Total lack of concentration on my part.
11-08-2013, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 06:39 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Seems here they expect people to forget their card. At any ATM you have to take your card out before you get the money. (I sure would forget it frequently otherwise.)
11-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Roger, i have done that myself- very frustrating experience.

Bill Nash
11-08-2013, 09:00 AM
(11-08-2013 06:37 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Seems here they expect people to forget their card. At any ATM you have to take your card out before you get the money. (I sure would forget it frequently otherwise.)

Eva, I can only speak about the ATMs in the area I live in, and the definite majority are now like what you describe. However, some of the "older" machines are still in existence also.
11-08-2013, 09:08 AM
(11-07-2013 12:42 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Today I went another step in my personal journey to become more "high-tech." Probably most of you will not think much of it- as you have been advanced all along. This morning I down-loaded the Audible app to my Apple 4 S phone, joined the Audible.com service, and then down-loaded onto my IPhone - my first audible book (free for joining). I chose James Swanson's book Manhunt. Now i can listen to books using my phone. Until now, i have listened to audiobooks only in my car. A small step for me I know. To this date, I still don't do MP3's! Brave new world! P.S. - there still isn't anything like a book- especially an old book - yellowed by time. Oh well, onward and upward...
Bill, I just checked that site (have never heard of it), good tip. Seems you can sign up for a 30- day free trial including one free audiobook download, for which you even could choose such as the unabridged edition of "Team of Rivals" (costs $75.55 otherwise...).
I've never possessed a CD-player (still buy vinyl when available). But I do download mp3s. One advantage is eco friendliness, you can spare a lot of unnecessary waste.