Booth's Derringer
11-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Booth's Derringer
Hi,

This is a 2-fold posting:

1) While searching for a replica derringer that Booth used to shoot Lincoln, I discovered this article:

http://wesclark.com/jw/booth_pistol.html

I'm not too sure that the original was stolen in the 1960s and that the new gun discovered IS the actual original.

2) I'm looking to purchase a replica of the Philadelphia Derringer that Booth used to shoot Lincoln. I've found over a dozen offered, but NONE are accurate enough for me. Among other things, all I've seen offered are replicas 6.5 inches long while the original is 5.87 inches long. Also the replicas have way too much wood and only slightly engraved. Anyone know of a source to obtain a replica closer to the original-- without me having to take a second mortgage on my home?

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organizaton
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2013, 07:24 AM
RE: Booth's Derringer
The article featured on that website is mine; without regard to copyright law or permission from me or America's Civil War magazine, I might add. But as they say in Hollywood, the only bad publicity is no publicity at all.

I haven't never seen the type of replica you are seeking. Booth's Deringer pistol is so small that so-called 'replicas' are usually produced in a larger size. Since every Henry Deringer pistol was handmade, every one is slightly different. The engraving was quite intricate and no replica I've seen duplicates that level of detail. The foremost expert on Deringers, L.D. Eberhart, told me he had never seen a real Deringer of the same dimensions as Booth's. A real Deringer of approximately the same size sells for about $2,000.
11-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Wesley: great article! Rick, I also have searched for a more accurate replica of the Booth weapon- without success. I own two or three of the replica models that are available from multiple sources. I still find the inaccurate replicas useful in showing what the Booth weapon looked like. Let us know if you locate a better model somewhere!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Bill and Wes are correct in that there are no really good reproductions out there. Wes is also correct that an original Deringer can usually be had for around $2000. Some of the larger Civil War relic show/sales will often have multiple dealers. There is a big show/sale in Richmond the weekend of November 16-17.
11-05-2013, 09:28 AM
(11-05-2013 07:24 AM)Wesley Harris Wrote:  The article featured on that website is mine; without regard to copyright law or permission from me or America's Civil War magazine, I might add. But as they say in Hollywood, the only bad publicity is no publicity at all.

Wesley, just for my edification in the future, is it not proper to link an article here from another website? Your message seems to indicate that Rick did something improper by linking your article. I have done that many times on this forum but won't any longer if that is bad manners. I'm just confused because the article clearly lists you as the author.

Thanks,
Heath

ps - I just realized Wes' objection: that the site Rick linked it from used his article without permission; not that Rick did. I was confused because I quickly glanced as the link and saw "wesclark.com" and assumed it was Wes Harris by mistake. My apologies.
11-05-2013, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 11:22 AM by Gene C.)
Rick, this isn't what your looking for, but ......

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PSOYRK/ref=...B007PSOYRK

Here is another article by Wesley Harris http://diggingthepast.blogspot.com/2011/...senal.html

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-05-2013, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 07:34 PM by Wesley Harris.)
(11-05-2013 09:28 AM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 07:24 AM)Wesley Harris Wrote:  The article featured on that website is mine; without regard to copyright law or permission from me or America's Civil War magazine, I might add. But as they say in Hollywood, the only bad publicity is no publicity at all.

Wesley, just for my edification in the future, is it not proper to link an article here from another website? Your message seems to indicate that Rick did something improper by linking your article. I have done that many times on this forum but won't any longer if that is bad manners. I'm just confused because the article clearly lists you as the author.

Thanks,
Heath

ps - I just realized Wes' objection: that the site Rick linked it from used his article without permission; not that Rick did. I was confused because I quickly glanced as the link and saw "wesclark.com" and assumed it was Wes Harris by mistake. My apologies.

Correct, Heath. Rick did nothing wrong. He provided a link which is the proper way to refer to someone else's writing. The website that posted my article is the culprit. Not that it's a big deal. That was the very first thing I wrote on Booth's pistol and now I'm wanting my name connected to the topic to promote the upcoming book. Many webpage creators don't understand copyright law but "Wes Clark" did at least attribute it to me and the magazine.

Just for everyone's FYI, anything you write is copyright-protected the moment you write it. It does not have to be published or registered at the Copyright Office to be protected. It is your property. The stuff we look at frequently here from the 1860s through the turn of the century is in the public domain, however.

(11-05-2013 10:47 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Here is another article by Wesley Harris http://diggingthepast.blogspot.com/2011/...senal.html

That is my history blog...please subscribe to it as I'll be posting more assassination stuff soon.
11-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I purchased a replica from the Collector's Armory. It came in a wooden box with a message about the conspiracy. I realize it may not be an exact replica but it is an excellent topic for conversation.
11-06-2013, 01:59 PM
(11-06-2013 01:01 PM)richard petersen Wrote:  I purchased a replica from the Collector's Armory. It came in a wooden box with a message about the conspiracy. I realize it may not be an exact replica but it is an excellent topic for conversation.

I purchased the same one. It's not bad- but also not exact.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi Rick. Here's a link to an interesting website article discussing another guy's successful search for a replica of Booth's deringer, with many color photos: http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-booths-derri...re-142492/

Also, there's an excellent book titled, "Henry Deringer's Pocket Pistol," John E. Parsons, pub.1952, 255 pages, which gives the complete history of the original Deringer pistols and the various later copies, well illustrated, with mention of the assassination and Booth's pistol. It's quite rare but well worth the search if you can find a copy. Good luck!
11-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Does anyone know the actual length of the original Derringer that Booth used to kill Lincoln? The so-called "replica's" are all 6.5 inches in length and I know the original was much shorter.

Great idea about looking for a toy derringer instead. This would suit my needs.

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization
11-09-2013, 09:03 AM
5.87 inches. It's in this FBI report. They examined the gun in depth at one time.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/forensic...schehl.htm

For some reason, the Deringer always looks bigger in pictures. When you see it up close, it's amazing how tiny it is. I photographed it up close and it still looks bigger than it actually is unless there's something near it to put it in perspective.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-09-2013, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 09:16 AM by BettyO.)
Thanks for the excellent link, Joe - wonderful site!

Also - I own this derringer. It was originally sold in the Museum of the Confederacy gift shop a few years ago - it's not too bad at first glance and it was really cheap in price - I see on Amazon that it has gone up. I think I paid something like $20.00 for it then -

Quote: Rick, this isn't what your looking for, but ......

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PSOYRK/ref=...B007PSOYRK

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-09-2013, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 10:07 AM by Wesley Harris.)
Quote: When you see it up close, it's amazing how tiny it is. I photographed it up close and it still looks bigger than it actually is unless there's something near it to put it in perspective.

The Deringer pistol in this photo is the closest I've found to Booth's. It has some structural differences, such as no cap box in the butt, but the measurements were pretty close. I have a pretty small hand but you get the idea how concealable it is. There's a reason it's called a "pocket cannon." It was offered for sale at $2,000.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Depending on how much you want to spend....The link is from an interesting store in western TN. They sell a lot of gun kits (built and stain it yourself) fairly high quality stuff. Check out the bottom of page 2 and the top of page 8, They also have a nice antique car museum. I visited here years ago. Even if your not a gun nut, it is worth the visit if you are ever in the area.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/new-flyer.pdf

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?